Mike Reid, MD
HIV, Infectious Disease, and Global Medicine, Infectious Diseases
Mike works in the Institute for Global Health Diplomacy and Delivery. He is involved with policy analyses, research, and agenda-setting activities related to improving care delivery for people living with HIV, TB and other chronic diseases in sub Saharan Africa. He is also a clinical provider within the Positive Health Practice "Ward 86" at ZSFG at San Francisco General Hospital
Honors and Awards
- CROI Young Investigator Award, The CROI Foundation, 2017
- Specialty Certificate in Infectious Diseases, Royal College of Physicians, UK, 2016
- Clinical Fellow Award, Department of Medicine, UCSF, 2015
- Lawrence Linn HIV Research Award, Society of General Internal Medicine, 2015
- Clinical Faculty Teaching Award, UCSF School of Medicine, Class of 2015, 2015
- Presidents Global Food Initiative Fellowship, University of California, 2015
- Chairman's Award for Distinction in Research, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 2009
- Resident Teaching Award, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 2009
- MRCP (London), Royal College of Physicians (UK), 2007
- Cockburn Scholarship, Imperial College, London University, 2001
- Rajiv Ghandi Scholarship, Cambridge University, 1998
- Improving the cascade of global tuberculosis care: moving from the "what" to the "how" of quality improvement.
- A tuberculosis-free world: is it a delusion? - Authors' reply.
- Association of Gut Intestinal Integrity and Inflammation with Insulin Resistance in Adults Living with HIV in Uganda.
- Assessing tuberculosis control priorities in high-burden settings: a modelling approach.
- Building a tuberculosis-free world: The Lancet Commission on tuberculosis.
- Leveraging health diplomacy to end the tuberculosis epidemic.
- To End TB, First-Ever High-Level Meeting on TB Must Address Stigma.
- Eradicating TB.
- Preventing tuberculosis among high-risk workers.
- Message to world leaders: we cannot end tuberculosis without addressing the social and economic burden of the disease.
- From HIV prevention to non-communicable disease health promotion efforts in sub-Saharan Africa: A Narrative Review.
- Models of integration of HIV and noncommunicable disease care in sub-Saharan Africa: lessons learned and evidence gaps.
- Contribution of Liver Fibrosis and Microbial Translocation to Immune Activation in Persons Infected With HIV and/or Hepatitis C Virus.
- The Lancet Commission on tuberculosis: building a tuberculosis-free world.
- Hepatitis C Virus Infection in the Older Patient.
- Patient-Centered Tuberculosis Programs Are Necessary to End the Epidemic.
- Higher Body Mass Index Is Associated With Greater Proportions of Effector CD8+ T Cells Expressing CD57 in Women Living With HIV.
- Community-Level HIV Stigma as a Driver for HIV Transmission Risk Behaviors and Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Sierra Leone: A Population-Based Study.
- Disseminated Acanthamoeba infection in a heart transplant recipient treated successfully with a miltefosine-containing regimen: Case report and review of the literature.
- Lessons learned from the HIV care cascade can help End TB.
- Prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus Nasal Carriage in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected and Uninfected Children in Botswana: Prevalence and Risk Factors.
- Higher CD163 levels are associated with insulin resistance in hepatitis C virus-infected and HIV-infected adults.
- Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization among HIV-infected adults in Botswana: prevalence and risk factors.
- Evaluation of the effect of cellular SMS reminders on consistency of antiretroviral therapy pharmacy pickups in HIV-infected adults in Botswana: a randomized controlled trial.
- Children with TB: neglected no more . . ..
- Antimicrobial Resistance: A Call to Action!
- Raccoon Roundworm Infection Associated with Central Nervous System Disease and Ocular Disease - Six States, 2013-2015.
- Baylisascaris procyonis-Associated Meningoencephalitis in a Previously Healthy Adult, California, USA.
- Steak tartare endocarditis.
- Late aspergilloma of a renal allograft without need for operative management: a case report and review of the literature.
- Diagnosing Balamuthia mandrillaris Encephalitis With Metagenomic Deep Sequencing.
- Disseminated mycobacterial infection and scabies infestation.
- Leveraging HIV Programming to Enhance Access to Noncommunicable Disease Care in Southern Botswana.
- Reducing risk and enhancing education: U.S. medical students on global health electives.
- Case report: false negative serum cryptococcal latex agglutination test in a patient with disseminated cryptococcal disease.
- Developing a medical school psychiatry training program in Botswana: overcoming obstacles with innovation.
- Screening for tuberculosis in a diabetes clinic in Gaborone, Botswana.
- It would have been better if I had HIV instead of diabetes.
- Opinions and attitudes of participants in a randomized controlled trial examining the efficacy of SMS reminders to enhance antiretroviral adherence: a cross-sectional survey.
- Cohort study of diabetes in HIV-infected adult patients: evaluating the effect of diabetes mellitus on immune reconstitution.
- Assessing the Impact of Airborne Outreach to Build Clinical Capacity in Rural Botswana.
- Diabetes mellitus in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy.
- Airborne outreach: building HIV capacity and strengthening health care systems in rural Botswana.
- Assessing the Impact of Airborne Outreach to build clinical capacity in rural Botswana
- Implementation of tuberculosis infection control measures at HIV care and treatment sites in sub-Saharan Africa.
- African Journal of Diabetes
- TB diagnostic capacity in sub-Saharan African HIV care settings.
- Addressing the challenge of the emerging NCD epidemic: lessons learned from Botswana's response to the HIV epidemic.
- New models for medical education: Web-based conferencing to support HIV training in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Assessing capacity for diagnosing tuberculosis in children in sub-Saharan African HIV care settings.
- DART and laboratory monitoring of HIV treatment.
- Approaches to tuberculosis screening and diagnosis in people with HIV in resource-limited settings.
- Transmission of human and macaque Plasmodium spp. to ex-captive orangutans in Kalimantan, Indonesia.