Visiting Scholarship Program
The Visiting Elective Scholarship Program supported by the UCSF Department of Medicine's Residency Diversity Committee and UCSF CTSI was established to encourage fourth year medical students who are underrepresented in medicine or are interested in working and conducting research with diverse populations to apply for a clinical elective in at UCSF. The scholarship program is designed to:
- Expose fourth year medical students who are underrepresented in medicine or interested in working with diverse populations to an academic training program
- Promote interest in clinical and translational research
- Promote student interest in applying to an academic training program
- Provide faculty and housestaff mentorship during the clinical elective experience
Clinical electives are four weeks in length and are available, space permitting, to U.S. visiting students. VESP participants are assigned a faculty advisor and have the opportunity to network with UCSF CTSI and UCSF faculty, housestaff and students. A diversity dinner with faculty and house staff is held during each rotation. In addition all participants are invited and encouraged to attend various seminars including monthly Medical Effectiveness Research Center for Diverse Populations (MERC) seminars, grand rounds and CTSI seminars.
Who Can Apply?
- Fourth year U.S. medical students who are underrepresented in medicine are encouraged to apply.
- Student must be in good academic standing at an accredited US medical school.
- Requirements for the Department of Medicine's clinical electives must also be met.
- 4th year standing
- Completion of all core clearkships in medicine, surgery, pediatrics, psychiatry and OB-GYN
- Completed VESP application
- Recent CV
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member
- A personal statement of up to 1,500 words. Include why you are interested in clinical and translational research.
- An official academic transcript from your school of medicine
Students must also apply to the clinical elective program of their choice through the UCSF School of Medicine.
Scholarships (up to $1,500 each*, to be used toward visiting student elective fees, transportation costs and lodging) will be awarded on the basis of:
- Academic achievement as indicated by transcripts, letter of recommendation, etc
- Interest in pursuing an academic career
- Interest in clinical research
- Interest in serving underserved populations
Funds are awarded upon completion of the elective. Receipts must be submitted for reimbursement.
Rolling deadline. Application must be received six to eight weeks prior to the elective start date, though applications received less than eight weeks may be considered.
For further information about the Visiting Elective Scholarship Program, please contact:
Visiting Elective Scholarship Program
Eddie Cruz, MD
UCSF Department of Pediatrics
email: [email protected]