Robert Wachter, MD
505 Parnassus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94117
Robert M. Wachter, MD is Professor and Chair of the Department of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. The department is generally ranked among the top handful in the U.S., and is the nation's leading recipient of NIH grants. Wachter is author of 250 articles and 6 books. He coined the term "hospitalist" in 1996 and is often considered the "father" of the hospitalist field, the fastest growing specialty in the history of modern medicine. He is past president of the Society of Hospital Medicine and past chair of the American Board of Internal Medicine. In the safety and quality arenas, he edits the U.S. government's leading website on patient safety and has written two books on the subject, including Internal Bleeding and Understanding Patient Safety, the world's best selling safety primer. In 2004, he received the John M. Eisenberg Award, the nation's top honor in patient safety. In 2016, Modern Healthcare magazine ranked him as the fourth most influential physician-executive in the U.S., his ninth consecutive year in the top 50 (he was #1 on the list in 2015). He has served on the healthcare advisory boards of several companies, including Google. His 2015 book, The Digital Doctor: Hope, Hype and Harm at the Dawn of Medicine's Computer Age, was a New York Times science bestseller. He recently chaired a blue ribbon commission advising England's National Health Service on its digital strategy.
Awards and Honors
Commencement Speaker, Univ of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 2017
#4 Most Influential Physician-Executive in the United States, Modern Healthcare magazine, 2016
"The Digital Doctor" on the Science Bestseller List, The New York Times, 2015
Alumni of the Year award, Univ of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 2015
#1 Most Influential Physician-Executive in the United States, Modern Healthcare magazine, 2015
Chair of the Board, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2013-2014
US-UK Fulbright Scholar (study at Imperial College London), Fulbright Commission, 2011
Neilson Distinguished Professor Award (leadership of specialty medicine in US), Assoc of Specialty Professors of Medicine, 2011
Master of Hospital Medicine, Society of Hospital Medicine, 2010
Holly Smith Award for exceptional service to School of Medicine, UCSF, 2008
Named one of 50 most influential physician-executives in US, Modern Healthcare magazine, 2007-2016
Benioff Endowed Chair in Hospital Medicine, 2007
John M Eisenberg Award (nation's top honor in patient safety), National Quality Forum/Joint Commission, 2004
First elected president, Society of Hospital Medicine, 2000
Academic Senate Distinction in Teaching Award, UCSF, 1996
Related Web Sites
- Robert Wachter on Wikipedia
- The Digital Doctor on Amazon
- AHRQ Patient Safety Network
- Clinical Profile at UCSF Medical Center
- My Blog, Wachter's World
In the News
- Has technology ruined the radiology profession? (Oct 25, 2016)
- Robert Wachter named new chair of UCSF Department of Medicine (Oct 13, 2016)
- Wachter calls for 3 point IT implementation plan (for NHS England) (Sep 27, 2016)
- Wachter: the problem with measurement in healthcare (Jan 19, 2016)
- How measurement fails doctors and teachers (Jan 19, 2016)
- Robert Wachter Tapped to Lead UK Digital Health System Review (Jan 19, 2016)
- Your new medical team: algorithms and physicians (Dec 07, 2015)
- New York Times review of The Digital Doctor (May 25, 2015)
- Why health tech is still so bad (Mar 21, 2015)
- Robert Wachter Named Chair of ABIM's Board of Directors (Jul 06, 2012)
Recent Articles (212)
- Armstrong K, Anderson ME, Carethers JM, Loscalzo J, Parmacek MS, Wachter RM, Zeidel ML. International Exchange and American Medicine. N Engl J Med. 2017 May 11; 376(19):e40.
- Gupta R, Moriates C, Harrison JD, Valencia V, Ong M, Clarke R, Steers N, Hays RD, Braddock CH, Wachter R. Development of a high-value care culture survey: a modified Delphi process and psychometric evaluation. BMJ Qual Saf. 2017 Jun; 26(6):475-483.
- Pannick S, Wachter RM, Vincent C, Sevdalis N. Rethinking medical ward quality. BMJ. 2016 Oct 18; 355:i5417.
- Wachter RM. Measurement, Certification, and Quality: Meeting Enduring Challenges with Modern Tools. Ophthalmology. 2016 Sep; 123(9 Suppl):S46-9.
- Schoenfeld AJ, Wachter RM. The Search for Better Patient Handoff Tools. JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Sep 01; 176(9):1402-3.
- Wachter RM, Goldman L. Zero to 50,000 - The 20th Anniversary of the Hospitalist. N Engl J Med. 2016 Sep 15; 375(11):1009-11.
- Wachter RM. Annals for Hospitalists Inpatient Notes - Hospitalists and Digital Medicine-Overcoming the Productivity Paradox. Ann Intern Med. 2016 Jul 19; 165(2):HO2-3.
- Gupta K, Wachter RM, Kachalia A. Financial incentives and mortality: taking pay for performance a step too far. BMJ Qual Saf. 2017 Feb; 26(2):164-168.
- Young JQ, Wachter RM, Ten Cate O, O'Sullivan PS, Irby DM. Advancing the next generation of handover research and practice with cognitive load theory. BMJ Qual Saf. 2016 Feb; 25(2):66-70.
- Khanna RR, Wachter RM, Blum M. Reimagining Electronic Clinical Communication in the Post-Pager, Smartphone Era. JAMA. 2016 Jan 05; 315(1):21-2.
- Murray SG, Wachter RM, Cho KC, Dhaliwal G. CLINICAL PROBLEM-SOLVING. A Breakthrough Diagnosis. N Engl J Med. 2015 Nov 05; 373(19):1865-70.
- Pannick S, Davis R, Ashrafian H, Byrne BE, Beveridge I, Athanasiou T, Wachter RM, Sevdalis N. Effects of Interdisciplinary Team Care Interventions on General Medical Wards: A Systematic Review. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Aug; 175(8):1288-98.
- Wachter RM. Hospital medicine in 2015: Remarkable successes and a crucial crossroads. J Hosp Med. 2015 Dec; 10(12):830-1.
- Wachter RM, Kerbel RB, Aung KK. Interview of Robert M. Wachter, MD. Healthc (Amst). 2015 Jun; 3(2):114-5.
- Wachter R, Wehrwein P. A Conversation With Robert Wachter, MD. Reality Bytes: Medicine's Bumpy Ride Into the Digital Age. Manag Care. 2015 May; 24(5):33-5.
- Wachter RM. The Digital Doctor: Hope, Hype, and Harm at the Dawn of Medicine's Computer Age. 2015.
- Austin JM, Jha AK, Romano PS, Singer SJ, Vogus TJ, Wachter RM, Pronovost PJ. National hospital ratings systems share few common scores and may generate confusion instead of clarity. Health Aff (Millwood). 2015 Mar; 34(3):423-30.
- Coronini-Cronberg S, Bixby H, Laverty AA, Wachter RM, Millett C. English National Health Service's savings plan may have helped reduce the use of three 'low-value' procedures. Health Aff (Millwood). 2015 Mar; 34(3):381-9.
- McTiernan P, Wachter RM, Meyer GS, Gandhi TK. Patient safety is not elective: a debate at the NPSF Patient Safety Congress. BMJ Qual Saf. 2015 Feb; 24(2):162-6.
- Pannick S, Beveridge I, Wachter RM, Sevdalis N. Improving the quality and safety of care on the medical ward: A review and synthesis of the evidence base. Eur J Intern Med. 2014 Dec; 25(10):874-87.
- Liao JM, Wachter RM. Grading residents' clinical performance: unique opportunities and challenges. J Gen Intern Med. 2014 Jul; 29(7):983-5.
- Moriates C, Mourad M, Novelero M, Wachter RM. Development of a hospital-based program focused on improving healthcare value. J Hosp Med. 2014 Oct; 9(10):671-7.
- Wachter RM. Hospitalist workload: the search for the magic number. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 May; 174(5):794-5.
- Ranji SR, Rennke S, Wachter RM. Computerised provider order entry combined with clinical decision support systems to improve medication safety: a narrative review. BMJ Qual Saf. 2014 Sep; 23(9):773-80.
- Austin JM, D'Andrea G, Birkmeyer JD, Leape LL, Milstein A, Pronovost PJ, Romano PS, Singer SJ, Vogus TJ, Wachter RM. Safety in numbers: the development of Leapfrog's composite patient safety score for U.S. hospitals. J Patient Saf. 2014 Mar; 10(1):64-71.
- Dalton AR, Vamos EP, Harris MJ, Netuveli G, Wachter RM, Majeed A, Millett C. Impact of universal health insurance coverage on hypertension management: a cross-national study in the United States and England. PLoS One. 2014; 9(1):e83705.
- Driver TH, Katz PP, Trupin L, Wachter RM. Responding to clinicians who fail to follow patient safety practices: perceptions of physicians, nurses, trainees, and patients. J Hosp Med. 2014 Feb; 9(2):99-105.
- Berger MS, Wachter RM, Greysen SR, Lau CY. Changing our culture to advance patient safety: the 2013 AANS Presidential Address. J Neurosurg. 2013 Dec; 119(6):1359-69.
- Wachter RM. Observation status for hospitalized patients: a maddening policy begging for revision. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Nov 25; 173(21):1999-2000.
- Sehgal NL, Wachter RM, Vidyarthi AR. Bringing continuing medical education to the bedside: the University of California, San Francisco Hospitalist Mini-College. J Hosp Med. 2014 Feb; 9(2):129-34.
- Auerbach AD, Wachter RM. Focusing on value: this time is different. J Hosp Med. 2013 Sep; 8(9):543-4.
- Pronovost PJ, Wachter RM. Progress in patient safety: a glass fuller than it seems. Am J Med Qual. 2014 Mar-Apr; 29(2):165-9.
- Cowling TE, Cecil EV, Soljak MA, Lee JT, Millett C, Majeed A, Wachter RM, Harris MJ. Access to primary care and visits to emergency departments in England: a cross-sectional, population-based study. PLoS One. 2013; 8(6):e66699.
- Shekelle PG, Pronovost PJ, Wachter RM, McDonald KM, Schoelles K, Dy SM, Shojania K, Reston JT, Adams AS, Angood PB, Bates DW, Bickman L, Carayon P, Donaldson L, Duan N, Farley DO, Greenhalgh T, Haughom JL, Lake E, Lilford R, Lohr KN, Meyer GS, Miller MR, Neuhauser DV, Ryan G, Saint S, Shortell SM, Stevens DP, Walshe K. The top patient safety strategies that can be encouraged for adoption now. Ann Intern Med. 2013 Mar 05; 158(5 Pt 2):365-8.
- Wachter RM, Pronovost P, Shekelle P. Strategies to improve patient safety: the evidence base matures. Ann Intern Med. 2013 Mar 05; 158(5 Pt 1):350-2.
- Rennke S, Nguyen OK, Shoeb MH, Magan Y, Wachter RM, Ranji SR. Hospital-initiated transitional care interventions as a patient safety strategy: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med. 2013 Mar 05; 158(5 Pt 2):433-40.
- Shekelle PG, Wachter RM, Pronovost PJ, Schoelles K, McDonald KM, Dy SM, Shojania K, Reston J, Berger Z, Johnsen B, Larkin JW, Lucas S, Martinez K, Motala A, Newberry SJ, Noble M, Pfoh E, Ranji SR, Rennke S, Schmidt E, Shanman R, Sullivan N, Sun F, Tipton K, Treadwell JR, Tsou A, Vaiana ME, Weaver SJ, Wilson R, Winters BD. Making health care safer II: an updated critical analysis of the evidence for patient safety practices. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep). 2013 Mar; (211):1-945.
- Wachter RM, Verghese AC. Attending physicians on ward rounds--reply. JAMA. 2013 Jan 23; 309(4):341.
- Hwa M, Sharpe BA, Wachter RM. Development and implementation of a balanced scorecard in an academic hospitalist group. J Hosp Med. 2013 Mar; 8(3):148-53.
- Graber ML, Wachter RM, Cassel CK. Bringing diagnosis into the quality and safety equations. JAMA. 2012 Sep 26; 308(12):1211-2.
- Wachter RM. Disciplining doctors for misconduct: character matters, but so does competence. BMJ Qual Saf. 2012 Dec; 21(12):976-8.
- Wachter RM, Verghese A. The attending physician on the wards: finding a new homeostasis. JAMA. 2012 Sep 12; 308(10):977-8.
- Lyndon A, Sexton JB, Simpson KR, Rosenstein A, Lee KA, Wachter RM. Predictors of likelihood of speaking up about safety concerns in labour and delivery. BMJ Qual Saf. 2012 Sep; 21(9):791-9.
- Wachter RM. Personal accountability in healthcare: searching for the right balance. BMJ Qual Saf. 2013 Feb; 22(2):176-80.
- Nelson JR, Wellikson L, Wachter RM. Specialty hospitalists: analyzing an emerging phenomenon. JAMA. 2012 Apr 25; 307(16):1699-700.
- Greaves F, Pape UJ, King D, Darzi A, Majeed A, Wachter RM, Millett C. Associations between Internet-based patient ratings and conventional surveys of patient experience in the English NHS: an observational study. BMJ Qual Saf. 2012 Jul; 21(7):600-5.
- Laverty AA, Smith PC, Pape UJ, Mears A, Wachter RM, Millett C. High-profile investigations into hospital safety problems in England did not prompt patients to switch providers. Health Aff (Millwood). 2012 Mar; 31(3):593-601.
- Greaves F, Pape UJ, King D, Darzi A, Majeed A, Wachter RM, Millett C. Associations between Web-based patient ratings and objective measures of hospital quality. Arch Intern Med. 2012 Mar 12; 172(5):435-6.
- Wachter RM, Bell D. Renaissance of hospital generalists. BMJ. 2012 Feb 13; 344:e652.
- Wachter RM.. Understanding Patient Safety. 2012.
- Auerbach AD, Sehgal NL, Blegen MA, Maselli J, Alldredge BK, Vittinghoff E, Wachter RM. Effects of a multicentre teamwork and communication programme on patient outcomes: results from the Triad for Optimal Patient Safety (TOPS) project. BMJ Qual Saf. 2012 Feb; 21(2):118-26.
- Driver TH, Wachter RM. Can healthcare go from good to great? J Hosp Med. 2012 Jan; 7(1):60-5.
- Schmaltz SP, Williams SC, Chassin MR, Loeb JM, Wachter RM. Hospital performance trends on national quality measures and the association with Joint Commission accreditation. J Hosp Med. 2011 Oct; 6(8):454-61.
- Young JQ, Ranji SR, Wachter RM, Lee CM, Niehaus B, Auerbach AD. "July effect": impact of the academic year-end changeover on patient outcomes: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Sep 06; 155(5):309-15.
- Young JQ, Pringle Z, Wachter RM. Improving follow-up of high-risk psychiatry outpatients at resident year-end transfer. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2011 Jul; 37(7):300-8.
- Taylor SL, Dy S, Foy R, Hempel S, McDonald KM, Ovretveit J, Pronovost PJ, Rubenstein LV, Wachter RM, Shekelle PG. What context features might be important determinants of the effectiveness of patient safety practice interventions? BMJ Qual Saf. 2011 Jul; 20(7):611-7.
- Dy SM, Taylor SL, Carr LH, Foy R, Pronovost PJ, Ovretveit J, Wachter RM, Rubenstein LV, Hempel S, McDonald KM, Shekelle PG. A framework for classifying patient safety practices: results from an expert consensus process. BMJ Qual Saf. 2011 Jul; 20(7):618-24.
- Shekelle PG, Pronovost PJ, Wachter RM, Taylor SL, Dy SM, Foy R, Hempel S, McDonald KM, Ovretveit J, Rubenstein LV, Adams AS, Angood PB, Bates DW, Bickman L, Carayon P, Donaldson L, Duan N, Farley DO, Greenhalgh T, Haughom J, Lake ET, Lilford R, Lohr KN, Meyer GS, Miller MR, Neuhauser DV, Ryan G, Saint S, Shojania KG, Shortell SM, Stevens DP, Walshe K. Advancing the science of patient safety. Ann Intern Med. 2011 May 17; 154(10):693-6.
- Cabana MD, Wachter RM. The hazards of drawing conclusions from before-and-after studies of system-level interventions: knowing may not be enough. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011 May; 165(5):472-3.
- Lyndon A, Zlatnik MG, Wachter RM. Effective physician-nurse communication: a patient safety essential for labor and delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Aug; 205(2):91-6.
- Ovretveit JC, Shekelle PG, Dy SM, McDonald KM, Hempel S, Pronovost P, Rubenstein L, Taylor SL, Foy R, Wachter RM. How does context affect interventions to improve patient safety? An assessment of evidence from studies of five patient safety practices and proposals for research. BMJ Qual Saf. 2011 Jul; 20(7):604-10.
- Wachter RM, Auerbach AD. Filling the black hole of hospital discharge (editorial in response to article by Walz et al.,J Gen Intern Med 2011). J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Apr; 26(4):354-5.
- Wachter RM. The hospitalist field turns 15: new opportunities and challenges. J Hosp Med. 2011 Apr; 6(4):E1-4.
- Sehgal NL, Fox M, Sharpe BA, Vidyarthi AR, Blegen M, Wachter RM. Critical conversations: a call for a nonprocedural "time out". J Hosp Med. 2011 Apr; 6(4):225-30.
- Allaudeen N, Schnipper JL, Orav EJ, Wachter RM, Vidyarthi AR. Inability of providers to predict unplanned readmissions. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Jul; 26(7):771-6.
- Sehgal NL, Sharpe BA, Auerbach AA, Wachter RM. Investing in the future: building an academic hospitalist faculty development program. J Hosp Med. 2011 Mar; 6(3):161-6.
- Alper EJ, Wachter RM. Commentary: Medical malpractice and patient safety: tear down that wall! Acad Med. 2011 Mar; 86(3):282-4.
- Foy R, Ovretveit J, Shekelle PG, Pronovost PJ, Taylor SL, Dy S, Hempel S, McDonald KM, Rubenstein LV, Wachter RM. The role of theory in research to develop and evaluate the implementation of patient safety practices. BMJ Qual Saf. 2011 May; 20(5):453-9.
- Auerbach AD, Wachter RM, Cheng HQ, Maselli J, McDermott M, Vittinghoff E, Berger MS. Comanagement of surgical patients between neurosurgeons and hospitalists. Arch Intern Med. 2010 Dec 13; 170(22):2004-10.
- Blegen MA, Sehgal NL, Alldredge BK, Gearhart S, Auerbach AA, Wachter RM. Republished paper: Improving safety culture on adult medical units through multidisciplinary teamwork and communication interventions: the TOPS Project. Postgrad Med J. 2010 Dec; 86(1022):729-33.
- Wachter RM. Why diagnostic errors don't get any respect--and what can be done about them. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010 Sep; 29(9):1605-10.
- Blegen MA, Sehgal NL, Alldredge BK, Gearhart S, Auerbach AA, Wachter RM. Improving safety culture on adult medical units through multidisciplinary teamwork and communication interventions: the TOPS Project. Qual Saf Health Care. 2010 Aug; 19(4):346-50.
- Goeschel CA, Wachter RM, Pronovost PJ. Responsibility for quality improvement and patient safety: hospital board and medical staff leadership challenges. Chest. 2010 Jul; 138(1):171-8.
- Chassin MR, Loeb JM, Schmaltz SP, Wachter RM. Accountability measures--using measurement to promote quality improvement. N Engl J Med. 2010 Aug 12; 363(7):683-8.
- Mookherjee S, Vidyarthi AR, Ranji SR, Maselli J, Wachter RM, Baron RB. Potential unintended consequences due to Medicare's "no pay for errors" rule? A randomized controlled trial of an educational intervention with internal medicine residents. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Oct; 25(10):1097-101.
- Kneeland PP, Kneeland C, Wachter RM. Bleeding talent: a lesson from industry on embracing physician workforce challenges. J Hosp Med. 2010 May-Jun; 5(5):306-10.
- Wachter RM. The relationship between hospitalists and primary care physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2010 Apr 06; 152(7):474.
- Wachter RM. Understanding the new vocabulary of healthcare reform. J Hosp Med. 2010 Apr; 5(4):197-9.
- Vasilevskis EE, Knebel RJ, Dudley RA, Wachter RM, Auerbach AD. Cross-sectional analysis of hospitalist prevalence and quality of care in California. J Hosp Med. 2010 Apr; 5(4):200-7.
- Sehgal NL, Green A, Vidyarthi AR, Blegen MA, Wachter RM. Patient whiteboards as a communication tool in the hospital setting: a survey of practices and recommendations. J Hosp Med. 2010 Apr; 5(4):234-9.
- Wachter R. Patient safety at 10 years: how far have we come? What's next? OR Manager. 2010 Mar; 26(3):1, 5-7.
- Shekelle PG, Pronovost PJ, Wachter RM (editors).. Assessing the Evidence for Context-Sensitive Effectiveness and Safety of Patient Safety Practices: Developing Criteria. 2010.
- Pronovost PJ, Miller MR, Wachter RM, Meyer GS. Perspective: Physician leadership in quality. Acad Med. 2009 Dec; 84(12):1651-6.
- Wachter RM. Patient safety at ten: unmistakable progress, troubling gaps. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010 Jan-Feb; 29(1):165-73.
- Wachter RM. Entering the second decade of the patient safety movement: the field matures: comment on "disclosure of hospital adverse events and its association with patients' ratings of the quality of care". Arch Intern Med. 2009 Nov 09; 169(20):1894-6.
- Vasilevskis EE, Knebel RJ, Wachter RM, Auerbach AD. California hospital leaders' views of hospitalists: meeting needs of the present and future. J Hosp Med. 2009 Nov; 4(9):528-34.
- Mazotti LA, Vidyarthi AR, Wachter RM, Auerbach AD, Katz PP. Impact of duty-hour restriction on resident inpatient teaching. J Hosp Med. 2009 Oct; 4(8):476-80.
- Wachter RM, Pronovost PJ. Balancing "no blame" with accountability in patient safety. N Engl J Med. 2009 Oct 01; 361(14):1401-6.
- Young JQ, Wachter RM. Academic year-end transfers of outpatients from outgoing to incoming residents: an unaddressed patient safety issue. JAMA. 2009 Sep 23; 302(12):1327-9.
- Young JQ, Wachter RM. Applying Toyota Production System principles to a psychiatric hospital: making transfers safer and more timely. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2009 Sep; 35(9):439-48.
- Wachter RM, Holmboe ES. Diagnostic errors and patient safety. JAMA. 2009 Jul 15; 302(3):258; author reply 259-60.
- Sarkar U, Wachter RM, Schroeder SA, Schillinger D. Refocusing the lens: patient safety in ambulatory chronic disease care. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2009 Jul; 35(7):377-83, 341.
- Wachter RM. Growth in care provided by hospitalists. N Engl J Med. 2009 Jun 25; 360(26):2789-90; author reply 2790-1.
- Lee JH, Vidyarthi AR, Sehgal NL, Auerbach AD, Wachter RM. I-CaRe: a case review tool focused on improving inpatient care. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2009 Feb; 35(2):115-9, 61.
- Sehgal NL, Fox M, Vidyarthi AR, Sharpe BA, Gearhart S, Bookwalter T, Barker J, Alldredge BK, Blegen MA, Wachter RM. A multidisciplinary teamwork training program: the Triad for Optimal Patient Safety (TOPS) experience. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Dec; 23(12):2053-7.
- Wachter RM, Flanders SA, Fee C, Pronovost PJ. Public reporting of antibiotic timing in patients with pneumonia: lessons from a flawed performance measure. Ann Intern Med. 2008 Jul 01; 149(1):29-32.
- Bottle A, Millett C, Xie Y, Saxena S, Wachter RM, Majeed A. Quality of primary care and hospital admissions for diabetes mellitus in England. J Ambul Care Manage. 2008 Jul-Sep; 31(3):226-38.
- Pronovost PJ, Goeschel CA, Wachter RM. The wisdom and justice of not paying for "preventable complications". JAMA. 2008 May 14; 299(18):2197-9.
- Singh SN, Wachter RM. Perspectives on medical outsourcing and telemedicine--rough edges in a flat world? N Engl J Med. 2008 Apr 10; 358(15):1622-7.
- Maa J, Wachter RM, Gosnell JE, Harris HW. The future of general surgery. JAMA. 2008 Mar 05; 299(9):1015; author reply 1015-6.
- Wachter RM. The state of hospital medicine in 2008. Med Clin North Am. 2008 Mar; 92(2):265-73, vii.
- Josephson SA, Engstrom JW, Wachter RM. Neurohospitalists: an emerging model for inpatient neurological care. Ann Neurol. 2008 Feb; 63(2):135-40.
- Wachter RM, Foster NE, Dudley RA. Medicare's decision to withhold payment for hospital errors: the devil is in the det. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2008 Feb; 34(2):116-23.
- Maa J, Gosnell JE, Carter JT, Wachter RM, Harris HW. The surgical hospitalist: a new solution for emergency surgical care? Bull Am Coll Surg. 2007 Nov; 92(11):8-17.
- Sehgal NL, Wachter RM. Identification of inpatient DNR status: a safety hazard begging for standardization. J Hosp Med. 2007 Nov; 2(6):366-71.
- Sehgal NL, Wachter RM. Color-coded wristbands: promoting safety or confusion? J Hosp Med. 2007 Nov; 2(6):445.
- Pronovost PJ, Miller M, Wachter RM. The GAAP in quality measurement and reporting. JAMA. 2007 Oct 17; 298(15):1800-2.
- Issa AM, Phillips KA, Van Bebber S, Nidamarthy HG, Lasser KE, Haas JS, Alldredge BK, Wachter RM, Bates DW. Drug withdrawals in the United States: a systematic review of the evidence and analysis of trends. Curr Drug Saf. 2007 Sep; 2(3):177-85.
- Maa J, Carter JT, Gosnell JE, Wachter R, Harris HW. The surgical hospitalist: a new model for emergency surgical care. J Am Coll Surg. 2007 Nov; 205(5):704-11.
- Biedermann R, Donnan L, Gabriel A, Wachter R, Krismer M, Behensky H. Complications and patient satisfaction after periacetabular pelvic osteotomy. Int Orthop. 2008 Oct; 32(5):611-7.
- Wachter RM. What will board certification be-and mean-for hospitalists? J Hosp Med. 2007 Mar; 2(2):102-4.
- Vidyarthi AR, Auerbach AD, Wachter RM, Katz PP. The impact of duty hours on resident self reports of errors. J Gen Intern Med. 2007 Feb; 22(2):205-9.
- Wachter RM, Pronovost PJ. The 100,000 Lives Campaign: A scientific and policy review. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2006 Nov; 32(11):621-7.
- Wachter RM, Shojania KG, Markowitz AJ, Smith M, Saint S. Quality grand rounds: the case for patient safety. Ann Intern Med. 2006 Oct 17; 145(8):629-30.
- Wachter RM. Is ambulatory patient safety just like hospital safety, only without the "stat"? Ann Intern Med. 2006 Oct 03; 145(7):547-9.
- Sehgal NL, Wachter RM. The expanding role of hospitalists in the United States. Swiss Med Wkly. 2006 Sep 16; 136(37-38):591-6.
- Pronovost PJ, Miller MR, Wachter RM. Tracking progress in patient safety: an elusive target. JAMA. 2006 Aug 09; 296(6):696-9.
- Wachter RM. The hospitalist movement 10 years later: life as a Swiss army knife. MedGenMed. 2006 Aug 04; 8(3):30.
- Auerbach AD, Chlouber R, Singler J, Lurie JD, Bostrom A, Wachter RM. Trends in market demand for internal medicine 1999 to 2004: an analysis of physician job advertisements. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Oct; 21(10):1079-85.
- Wachter RM. Reflections: the hospitalist movement a decade later. J Hosp Med. 2006 Jul; 1(4):248-52.
- Vidyarthi AR, Arora V, Schnipper JL, Wall SD, Wachter RM. Managing discontinuity in academic medical centers: strategies for a safe and effective resident sign-out. J Hosp Med. 2006 Jul; 1(4):257-66.
- Wachter RM. Could computerization harm patient safety? MedGenMed. 2006 Jun 23; 8(2):84.
- Wachter RM. Expected and unanticipated consequences of the quality and information technology revolutions. JAMA. 2006 Jun 21; 295(23):2780-3.
- Pronovost P, Wachter R. Proposed standards for quality improvement research and publication: one step forward and two steps back. Qual Saf Health Care. 2006 Jun; 15(3):152-3.
- Arora V, Wetterneck TB, Schnipper JL, Auerbach AD, Kaboli P, Wachter RM, Levinson W, Humphrey HJ, Meltzer D. Effect of the inpatient general medicine rotation on student pursuit of a generalist career. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 May; 21(5):471-5.
- Wachter RM. International teleradiology. N Engl J Med. 2006 Feb 16; 354(7):662-3.
- Wachter RM. The "dis-location" of U.S. medicine--the implications of medical outsourcing. N Engl J Med. 2006 Feb 16; 354(7):661-5.
- Vidyarthi AR, Katz PP, Wall SD, Wachter RM, Auerbach AD. Impact of reduced duty hours on residents' educational satisfaction at the University of California, San Francisco. Acad Med. 2006 Jan; 81(1):76-81.
- Leeper NJ, Wener LS, Dhaliwal G, Saint S, Wachter RM. Clinical problem-solving. One surprise after another. N Engl J Med. 2005 Apr 07; 352(14):1474-9.
- Wachter RM, Hollander H, Goldman L.. Hospital Medicine (2nd Edition). 2005.
- Wachter RM, Shojania KG. The faces of errors: a case-based approach to educating providers, policymakers, and the public about patient safety. Jt Comm J Qual Saf. 2004 Dec; 30(12):665-70.
- Hauer KE, Wachter RM, McCulloch CE, Woo GA, Auerbach AD. Effects of hospitalist attending physicians on trainee satisfaction with teaching and with internal medicine rotations. Arch Intern Med. 2004 Sep 27; 164(17):1866-71.
- Wachter RM, Shojania KG. The patient safety movement will help, not harm, quality. Ann Intern Med. 2004 Aug 17; 141(4):326-7.
- Huddleston JM, Long KH, Naessens JM, Vanness D, Larson D, Trousdale R, Plevak M, Cabanela M, Ilstrup D, Wachter RM. Medical and surgical comanagement after elective hip and knee arthroplasty: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004 Jul 06; 141(1):28-38.
- Wachter RM. The end of the beginning: patient safety five years after 'to err is human'. Health Aff (Millwood). 2004 Jul-Dec; Suppl Web Exclusives:W4-534-45.
- Wachter RM. Hospitalists in the United States--mission accomplished or work in progress? N Engl J Med. 2004 May 06; 350(19):1935-6.
- Shojania KG, McDonald KM, Wachter RM, Owens DK.. Closing the Quality Gap: A Critical Analysis of Quality Improvement Strategies (four volume series). 2004.
- Wachter RM, Shojania KG.. Internal Bleeding: The Truth Behind America's Terrifying Epidemic of Medical Mistakes. 2004.
- Wachter RM. Intensivist consultation and outcomes in critically ill patients. JAMA. 2003 Feb 26; 289(8):986; author reply 986-7.
- Flanders SA, Wachter RM. Hospitalists: the new model of inpatient medical care in the United States. Eur J Intern Med. 2003 Feb; 14(1):65-70.
- Morris A, Wachter RM, Luce J, Turner J, Huang L. Improved survival with highly active antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected patients with severe Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. AIDS. 2003 Jan 03; 17(1):73-80.
- Auerbach AD, Wachter RM, Katz P, Showstack J, Baron RB, Goldman L. Implementation of a voluntary hospitalist service at a community teaching hospital: improved clinical efficiency and patient outcomes. Ann Intern Med. 2002 Dec 03; 137(11):859-65.
- Morris A, Creasman J, Turner J, Luce JM, Wachter RM, Huang L. Intensive care of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients during the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002 Aug 01; 166(3):262-7.
- Baudendistel TE, Wachter RM. The evolution of the hospitalist movement in the USA. Clin Med (Lond). 2002 Jul-Aug; 2(4):327-30.
- Shojania KG, Duncan BW, McDonald KM, Wachter RM. Safe but sound: patient safety meets evidence-based medicine. JAMA. 2002 Jul 24-31; 288(4):508-13.
- Wachter RM. The evolution of the hospitalist model in the United States. Med Clin North Am. 2002 Jul; 86(4):687-706.
- Wachter RM, Shojania KG, Saint S, Markowitz AJ, Smith M. Learning from our mistakes: quality grand rounds, a new case-based series on medical errors and patient safety. Ann Intern Med. 2002 Jun 04; 136(11):850-2.
- Pantilat SZ, Lindenauer PK, Katz PP, Wachter RM. Primary care physician attitudes regarding communication with hospitalists. Dis Mon. 2002 Apr; 48(4):218-29.
- Pantilat SZ, Wachter RM. The patient provider relationship and the hospitalist movement. Introduction. Dis Mon. 2002 Apr; 48(4):189-90.
- Wachter RM, Pantilat SZ. The "continuity visit" and the hospitalist model of care. Dis Mon. 2002 Apr; 48(4):267-72.
- Wachter RM, Goldman L. The hospitalist movement 5 years later. JAMA. 2002 Jan 23-30; 287(4):487-94.
- Wachter RM, Pantilat SZ. The "continuity visit" and the hospitalist model of care. Am J Med. 2001 Dec 21; 111(9B):40S-42S.
- Pantilat SZ, Lindenauer PK, Katz PP, Wachter RM. Primary care physician attitudes regarding communication with hospitalists. Am J Med. 2001 Dec 21; 111(9B):15S-20S.
- Reddy JC, Katz PP, Goldman L, Wachter RM. A pneumonia practice guideline and a hospitalist-based reorganization lead to equivalent efficiency gains. Am J Manag Care. 2001 Dec; 7(12):1142-8.
- Minichiello TM, Auerbach AD, Wachter RM. Caregiver perceptions of the reasons for delayed hospital discharge. Eff Clin Pract. 2001 Nov-Dec; 4(6):250-5.
- Wachter RM. Who will pay for the value of hospitalists? Am J Manag Care. 2001 Nov; 7(11):1101-4.
- Plauth WH, Pantilat SZ, Wachter RM, Fenton CL. Hospitalists' perceptions of their residency training needs: results of a national survey. Am J Med. 2001 Aug 15; 111(3):247-54.
- Wachter RM. Does continuity of care matter? No: discontinuity can improve patient care. West J Med. 2001 Jul; 175(1):5.
- Wachter RM. The benefits of using hospitalists. Health Forum J. 2001 Jul-Aug; 44(4):34-6, 1.
- Wachter R. Hospitals and hospitalists can reach across the "quality chasm" by restructuring inpatient care. Cost Qual. 2001 Jun; 21-2.
- Wachter RM. Response to David Meltzer's paper "Hospitalists and the doctor-patient relationship". J Legal Stud. 2001 Jun; 30(2):615-23.
- Hauer KE, Wachter RM. Implications of the hospitalist model for medical students' education. Acad Med. 2001 Apr; 76(4):324-30.
- Shojania KG, Showstack J, Wachter RM. Assessing hospital quality: a review for clinicians. Eff Clin Pract. 2001 Mar-Apr; 4(2):82-90.
- Shojania KG, Duncan BW, McDonald KM, Wachter RM, Markowitz AJ. Making health care safer: a critical analysis of patient safety practices. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Summ). 2001; (43):i-x, 1-668.
- Shojania KG, Duncan BW, McDonald KM, Wachter RM. . Making Health Care Safer: A Critical Analysis of Patient Safety Practices. 2001.
- Auerbach AD, Nelson EA, Lindenauer PK, Pantilat SZ, Katz PP, Wachter RM. Physician attitudes toward and prevalence of the hospitalist model of care: results of a national survey. Am J Med. 2000 Dec 01; 109(8):648-53.
- Wachter RM. Debunking myths about the hospitalist movement. Am J Med. 2000 Jun 01; 108(8):672-3.
- Nickas G, Wachter RM. Outcomes of intensive care for patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Feb 28; 160(4):541-7.
- Wachter RM, Shojania KG. The unintended consequences of measuring quality on the quality of medical care. N Engl J Med. 2000 Feb 17; 342(7):520.
- Pascual FE, Matthay MA, Bacchetti P, Wachter RM. Assessment of prognosis in patients with community-acquired pneumonia who require mechanical ventilation. Chest. 2000 Feb; 117(2):503-12.
- Shojania KG, Wachter RM. Unreliability of physician "report cards" to assess cost and quality of care. JAMA. 2000 Jan 05; 283(1):52; author reply 53-4.
- Hauer KE, Flanders SA, Wachter RM. Training future hospitalists. West J Med. 1999 Nov-Dec; 171(5-6):367-70.
- Grant RW, Charlebois ED, Wachter RM. Risk factors for early hospital readmission in patients with AIDS and pneumonia. J Gen Intern Med. 1999 Sep; 14(9):531-6.
- Pantilat SZ, Alpers A, Wachter RM. A new doctor in the house: ethical issues in hospitalist systems. JAMA. 1999 Jul 14; 282(2):171-4.
- Lurie JD, Wachter RM. Hospitalist staffing requirements. Eff Clin Pract. 1999 May-Jun; 2(3):126-30.
- Lurie JD, Miller DP, Lindenauer PK, Wachter RM, Sox HC. The potential size of the hospitalist workforce in the United States. Am J Med. 1999 Apr; 106(4):441-5.
- Wachter RM, Whitcomb WF, Nelson JR. Financial implications of implementing a hospitalist program. Healthc Financ Manage. 1999 Mar; 53(3):48-51.
- Lindenauer PK, Pantilat SZ, Katz PP, Wachter RM. Hospitalists and the practice of inpatient medicine: results of a survey of the National Association of Inpatient Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 1999 Feb 16; 130(4 Pt 2):343-9.
- Wachter RM. An introduction to the hospitalist model. Ann Intern Med. 1999 Feb 16; 130(4 Pt 2):338-42.
- Wachter RM. The hospitalist movement: ten issues to consider. Hosp Pract (1995). 1999 Feb 15; 34(2):95-8, 104-6, 111.
- Wachter RM, Goldman L. Implications of the hospitalist movement for academic departments of medicine: lessons from the UCSF experience. Am J Med. 1999 Feb; 106(2):127-33.
- Bellet PS, Wachter RM. The hospitalist movement and its implications for the care of hospitalized children. Pediatrics. 1999 Feb; 103(2):473-7.
- Wachter RM, Flanders S. The hospitalist movement and the future of academic general internal medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 1998 Nov; 13(11):783-5.
- Rand VE, Hudes ES, Browner WS, Wachter RM, Avins AL. Effect of evaluator and resident gender on the American Board of Internal Medicine evaluation scores. J Gen Intern Med. 1998 Oct; 13(10):670-4.
- Wachter RM, Katz P, Showstack J, Bindman AB, Goldman L. Reorganizing an academic medical service: impact on cost, quality, patient satisfaction, and education. JAMA. 1998 May 20; 279(19):1560-5.
- Hauer KE, Wachter RM. A model hospitalist training program. Hospitalist. 1998; 2(2):5.
- Wachter RM, Goldman L. The emerging role of "hospitalists" in the American health care system. N Engl J Med. 1996 Aug 15; 335(7):514-7.
- Wachter RM. Intensive care for patients with AIDS: clinical and ethical issues. Schweiz Med Wochenschr. 1995 Jun 10; 125(23):1119-22.
- Wachter RM, Luce JM, Safrin S, Berrios DC, Charlebois E, Scitovsky AA. Cost and outcome of intensive care for patients with AIDS, Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, and severe respiratory failure. JAMA. 1995 Jan 18; 273(3):230-5.
- Wachter RM. Rationing health care: preparing for a new era. South Med J. 1995 Jan; 88(1):25-32.
- Wachter RM, Luce JM. Respiratory failure from severe Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. Entering the third era. Chest. 1994 Nov; 106(5):1313-5.
- Luce JM, Wachter RM. The ethical appropriateness of using prognostic scoring systems in clinical management. Crit Care Clin. 1994 Jan; 10(1):229-41.
- Wachter RM, Lo B. Advance directives for patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Crit Care Clin. 1993 Jan; 9(1):125-36.
- Brandeau ML, Owens DK, Sox CH, Wachter RM. Screening women of childbearing age for human immunodeficiency virus. A cost-benefit analysis. Arch Intern Med. 1992 Nov; 152(11):2229-37.
- Wachter RM. AIDs, activism, and the politics of health. N Engl J Med. 1992 Jan 09; 326(2):128-33.
- Wachter RM, Luce JM, Hopewell PC. Critical care of patients with AIDS. JAMA. 1992 Jan 22-29; 267(4):541-7.
- Wachter RM, Russi MB, Bloch DA, Hopewell PC, Luce JM. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia and respiratory failure in AIDS. Improved outcomes and increased use of intensive care units. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1991 Feb; 143(2):251-6.
- Wachter RM.. The Fragile Coalition: Scientists, Activists and AIDS. 1991.
- Wachter RM, Luce JM. Intensive care for patients with Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia and respiratory failure. Are we prepared for our new success? Chest. 1989 Oct; 96(4):714-5.
- Wachter RM, Luce JM, Hearst N, Lo B. Decisions about resuscitation: inequities among patients with different diseases but similar prognoses. Ann Intern Med. 1989 Sep 15; 111(6):525-32.
- Wachter RM, Luce JM, Lo B, Raffin TA. Life-sustaining treatment for patients with AIDS. Chest. 1989 Mar; 95(3):647-52.
- Epstein L, Libby E, Wachter RM. An acute exacerbation of P. carinii pneumonia. Hosp Pract (Off Ed). 1989 Feb 15; 24(2):163-4.
- Luce JM, Wachter RM. Intensive care for patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Intensive Care Med. 1989; 15(8):481-2.
- Wachter RM, Tierney LM. A hidden complication of heart disease. Hosp Pract (Off Ed). 1988 Nov 30; 23(11A):25-6, 28-9.
- Luce JM, Wachter RM, Hopewell PC. Intensive care of patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome: time for a reassessment? Am Rev Respir Dis. 1988 Jun; 137(6):1261-3.
- Wachter RM, Cooke M, Hopewell PC, Luce JM. Attitudes of medical residents regarding intensive care for patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Arch Intern Med. 1988 Jan; 148(1):149-52.
- Lo B, Raffin TA, Cohen NH, Wachter RM, Luce JM, Hopewell PC. Ethical dilemmas about intensive care for patients with AIDS. Rev Infect Dis. 1987 Nov-Dec; 9(6):1163-7.
- Wachter RM. Symptomatic hypotension induced by nifedipine in the acute treatment of severe hypertension. Arch Intern Med. 1987 Mar; 147(3):556-8.
- Wachter RM, Luce JM, Turner J, Volberding P, Hopewell PC. Intensive care of patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Outcome and changing patterns of utilization. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1986 Nov; 134(5):891-6.
- Wachter RM, Fields S. Lethargy and confusion after total nephrectomy. Hosp Pract (Off Ed). 1986 Feb 15; 21(2):40L, 40N, 40P.
- Wachter RM. The impact of the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome on medical residency training. N Engl J Med. 1986 Jan 16; 314(3):177-80.
- Wachter RM. Ripping and filing Journal articles. N Engl J Med. 1984 Oct 04; 311(14):925.