Ida Sim, PhD, MD
Ida Sim, MD, PhD is a primary care physician, informatics researcher, and entrepreneur. She is a Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, where she co-directs Biomedical Informatics at UCSF's Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute. Her current research focuses on the use of mobile apps and sensors to improve health and manage disease for populations and individuals, and to make clinical research faster and less expensive. She is a co-founder of Open mHealth, a non-profit organization that is breaking down barriers to mobile health app and data integration through an open software architecture. Dr. Sim is also a co-investigator and Consortium Core Lead with the Mobile Data to Knowledge NIH Center of Excellence.
In 2005, Dr. Sim was the founding Project Coordinator of the World Health Organization's International Clinical Trials Registry Platform, where she led the establishment of the first global policy on clinical trial registration and defined the common 20-item Trial Registration Data Set that all registers worldwide adhere to. She served on the Institute of Medicine's committee on Strategies of Responsible Sharing of Clinical Trial Data and is now the technical lead of the MRCT Framework for Data Sharing international effort to build a single global portal for sharing individual participant-level data from clinical trials.
Dr. Sim has served on multiple advisory committees on health information infrastructure for clinical care and research, including committees of the National Research Council and Institute of Medicine. She is a recipient of the United States Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), a Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics, and a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation.
Awards and Honors
Elected Member, American Society for Clinical Investigation, 2010
Elected Fellow, American College of Medial Informatics, 2007
Leadership Award, American Medical Informatics Association, 2005
United States Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, White House Office of Science Technology and Policy, 2000
Related Web Sites
In the News
- Sharing Older Clinical Trial Data Should be Judicious (Jan 20, 2015)
- Self-Tracking May Become Key Element of Personalized Medicine (Oct 05, 2012)
- mHealth: The Next Frontier for Mobile Services Growth (May 15, 2012)
- New Pill Recognition Software Has Implications for Emergency and Clinical Settings (Apr 13, 2012)
- UCSF Profiles Gives Faculty Power of Building Networks on Campus (Sep 17, 2010)
Recent Articles (73)
- Kumar S, Abowd G, Abraham WT, al'Absi M, Chau DHP, Ertin E, Estrin D, Ganesan D, Hnat T, Hossain SM, Ives Z, Kerr J, Marlin BM, Murphy S, Rehg JM, Nahum-Shani I, Shetty V, Sim I, Spring B, Srivastava M, Wetter D. Center of Excellence for Mobile Sensor Data-to-Knowledge (MD2K). IEEE Pervasive Comput. 2017 Apr-Jun; 16(2):18-22.
- Saldanha IJ, Schmid CH, Lau J, Dickersin K, Berlin JA, Jap J, Smith BT, Carini S, Chan W, De Bruijn B, Wallace BC, Hutfless SM, Sim I, Murad MH, Walsh SA, Whamond EJ, Li T. Evaluating Data Abstraction Assistant, a novel software application for data abstraction during systematic reviews: protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Syst Rev. 2016 11 22; 5(1):196.
- Bierer BE, Li R, Barnes M, Sim I. A Global, Neutral Platform for Sharing Trial Data. N Engl J Med. 2016 Jun 23; 374(25):2411-3.
- He Z, Ryan P, Hoxha J, Wang S, Carini S, Sim I, Weng C. Multivariate analysis of the population representativeness of related clinical studies. J Biomed Inform. 2016 Apr; 60:66-76.
- Elliott JH, Grimshaw J, Altman R, Bero L, Goodman SN, Henry D, Macleod M, Tovey D, Tugwell P, White H, Sim I. Informatics: Make sense of health data. Nature. 2015 Nov 05; 527(7576):31-2.
- Kumar S, Abowd GD, Abraham WT, al'Absi M, Beck JG, Chau DH, Condie T, Conroy DE, Ertin E, Estrin D, Ganesan D, Lam C, Marlin B, Marsh CB, Murphy SA, Nahum-Shani I, Patrick K, Rehg JM, Sharmin M, Shetty V, Sim I, Spring B, Srivastava M, Wetter DW. Center of excellence for mobile sensor data-to-knowledge (MD2K). J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2015 Nov; 22(6):1137-42.
- Barr C, Marois M, Sim I, Schmid CH, Wilsey B, Ward D, Duan N, Hays RD, Selsky J, Servadio J, Schwartz M, Dsouza C, Dhammi N, Holt Z, Baquero V, MacDonald S, Jerant A, Sprinkle R, Kravitz RL. The PREEMPT study - evaluating smartphone-assisted n-of-1 trials in patients with chronic pain: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2015 Feb 27; 16:67.
- He Z, Carini S, Sim I, Weng C. Visual aggregate analysis of eligibility features of clinical trials. J Biomed Inform. 2015 Apr; 54:241-55.
- Ross J, Neylan T, Weiner M, Chao L, Samuelson K, Sim I. Towards Constructing a New Taxonomy for Psychiatry Using Self-reported Symptoms. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2015; 216:736-40.
- He Z, Carini S, Hao T, Sim I, Weng C. A method for analyzing commonalities in clinical trial target populations. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2014; 2014:1777-86.
- Brennan PF, Valdez R, Alexander G, Arora S, Bernstam EV, Edmunds M, Kirienko N, Martin RD, Sim I, Skiba D, Rosenbloom T. Patient-centered care, collaboration, communication, and coordination: a report from AMIA's 2013 Policy Meeting. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2015 Apr; 22(e1):e2-6.
- DePasse JW, Chen CE, Sawyer A, Jethwani K, Sim I. Academic Medical Centers as digital health catalysts. Healthc (Amst). 2014 Sep; 2(3):173-6.
- Sim I, Tu SW, Carini S, Lehmann HP, Pollock BH, Peleg M, Wittkowski KM. The Ontology of Clinical Research (OCRe): an informatics foundation for the science of clinical research. J Biomed Inform. 2014 Dec; 52:78-91.
- Cohen AM, Demner-Fushman D, Iorio A, Sim I, Smalheiser NR. Tools for Identifying Reliable Evidence and Implementing it in Everyday Clinical Care. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc. 2013; 2013:42-4.
- Roumiantseva D, Carini S, Sim I, Wagner TH. Sponsorship and design characteristics of trials registered in ClinicalTrials.gov. Contemp Clin Trials. 2013 Mar; 34(2):348-55.
- Ochs C, Agrawal A, Perl Y, Halper M, Tu SW, Carini S, Sim I, Noy N, Musen M, Geller J. Deriving an abstraction network to support quality assurance in OCRe. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2012; 2012:681-9.
- Sim I, Carini S, Tu SW, Detwiler LT, Brinkley J, Mollah SA, Burke K, Lehmann HP, Chakraborty S, Wittkowski KM, Pollock BH, Johnson TM, Huser V. Ontology-based federated data access to human studies information. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2012; 2012:856-65.
- Chen C, Haddad D, Selsky J, Hoffman JE, Kravitz RL, Estrin DE, Sim I. Making sense of mobile health data: an open architecture to improve individual- and population-level health. J Med Internet Res. 2012 Aug 09; 14(4):e112.
- Boland MR, Tu SW, Carini S, Sim I, Weng C. EliXR-TIME: A Temporal Knowledge Representation for Clinical Research Eligibility Criteria. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc. 2012; 2012:71-80.
- Bhavnani SK, Carini S, Ross J, Sim I. Network analysis of clinical trials on depression: implications for comparative effectiveness research. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2010 Nov 13; 2010:51-5.
- Estrin D, Sim I. Health care delivery. Open mHealth architecture: an engine for health care innovation. Science. 2010 Nov 05; 330(6005):759-60.
- Kiritchenko S, de Bruijn B, Carini S, Martin J, Sim I. ExaCT: automatic extraction of clinical trial characteristics from journal publications. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2010 Sep 28; 10:56.
- Tu SW, Peleg M, Carini S, Bobak M, Ross J, Rubin D, Sim I. A practical method for transforming free-text eligibility criteria into computable criteria. J Biomed Inform. 2011 Apr; 44(2):239-50.
- Ross J, Tu S, Carini S, Sim I. Analysis of eligibility criteria complexity in clinical trials. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc. 2010 Mar 01; 2010:46-50.
- Wynden R, Weiner MG, Sim I, Gabriel D, Casale M, Carini S, Hastings S, Ervin D, Tu S, Gennari JH, Anderson N, Mobed K, Lakshminarayanan P, Massary M, Cucina RJ. Ontology mapping and data discovery for the translational investigator. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc. 2010 Mar 01; 2010:66-70.
- Sim I, Carini S, Tu S, Wynden R, Pollock BH, Mollah SA, Gabriel D, Hagler HK, Scheuermann RH, Lehmann HP, Wittkowski KM, Nahm M, Bakken S. The human studies database project: federating human studies design data using the ontology of clinical research. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc. 2010 Mar 01; 2010:51-5.
- Weng C, Tu SW, Sim I, Richesson R. Formal representation of eligibility criteria: a literature review. J Biomed Inform. 2010 Jun; 43(3):451-67.
- Carini S, Pollock BH, Lehmann HP, Bakken S, Barbour EM, Gabriel D, Hagler HK, Harper CR, Mollah SA, Nahm M, Nguyen HH, Scheuermann RH, Sim I. Development and evaluation of a study design typology for human research. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2009 Nov 14; 2009:81-5.
- Moja LP, Moschetti I, Nurbhai M, Compagnoni A, Liberati A, Grimshaw JM, Chan AW, Dickersin K, Krleza-Jeric K, Moher D, Sim I, Volmink J. Compliance of clinical trial registries with the World Health Organization minimum data set: a survey. Trials. 2009 Jul 22; 10:56.
- Bernstam EV, Hersh WR, Johnson SB, Chute CG, Nguyen H, Sim I, Nahm M, Weiner MG, Miller P, DiLaura RP, Overcash M, Lehmann HP, Eichmann D, Athey BD, Scheuermann RH, Anderson N, Starren J, Harris PA, Smith JW, Barbour E, Silverstein JC, Krusch DA, Nagarajan R, Becich MJ. Synergies and distinctions between computational disciplines in biomedical research: perspective from the Clinical andTranslational Science Award programs. Acad Med. 2009 Jul; 84(7):964-70.
- Bernstam EV, Hersh WR, Sim I, Eichmann D, Silverstein JC, Smith JW, Becich MJ. Unintended consequences of health information technology: a need for biomedical informatics. J Biomed Inform. 2010 Oct; 43(5):828-30.
- Sim I, Chute CG, Lehmann H, Nagarajan R, Nahm M, Scheuermann RH. Keeping raw data in context. Science. 2009 Feb 06; 323(5915):713.
- Karp PD, Sherlock G, Gerlt JA, Sim I, Paulsen I, Babbitt PC, Laderoute K, Hunter L, Sternberg P, Wooley J, Bourne PE. Changes to NIH grant system may backfire. Science. 2008 Nov 21; 322(5905):1187-8.
- Hernandez ME, Carini S, Storey MA, Sim I. An interactive tool for visualizing design heterogeneity in clinical trials. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2008 Nov 06; 298-302.
- de Bruijn B, Carini S, Kiritchenko S, Martin J, Sim I. Automated information extraction of key trial design elements from clinical trial publications. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2008 Nov 06; 141-5.
- Speedie SM, Taweel A, Sim I, Arvanitis TN, Arvanitis T, Delaney B, Peterson KA. Characterizing primary care research: PCROM versus BRIDG. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2008 Nov 06; 1145.
- Lee K, Bacchetti P, Sim I. Publication of clinical trials supporting successful new drug applications: a literature analysis. PLoS Med. 2008 Sep 23; 5(9):e191.
- Speedie SM, Taweel A, Sim I, Arvanitis TN, Delaney B, Peterson KA. The Primary Care Research Object Model (PCROM): a computable information model for practice-based primary care research. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2008 Sep-Oct; 15(5):661-70.
- Ghersi D, Clarke M, Berlin J, Gülmezoglu A, Kush R, Lumbiganon P, Moher D, Rockhold F, Sim I, Wager E. Reporting the findings of clinical trials: a discussion paper. Bull World Health Organ. 2008 Jun; 86(6):492-3.
- Sim I. Trial registration for public trust: making the case for medical devices. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Jan; 23 Suppl 1:64-8.
- Krleza-Jeric K, Chan AW, Dickersin K, Sim I, Grimshaw J, Gluud C. [Principles of the international registry of protocols and clinical trial results based on health interventions in human beings: Ottawa Declaration (part 1)]. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2006 Jun; 19(6):413-6.
- Sim I, Chan AW, Gülmezoglu AM, Evans T, Pang T. Clinical trial registration: transparency is the watchword. Lancet. 2006 May 20; 367(9523):1631-3.
- Chan AW, Sim I, Gülmezoglu AM, Unterlerchner P, Karam G, Pang T. Assessing clinical trial results. Science. 2006 Apr 21; 312(5772):365-6; author reply 365-6.
- Gülmezoglu AM, Sim I. International clinical trial registration: any progress? Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2006 Feb; 118(1-2):1-2.
- Berlin A, Sorani M, Sim I. A taxonomic description of computer-based clinical decision support systems. J Biomed Inform. 2006 Dec; 39(6):656-67.
- Rubin DL, Lewis SE, Mungall CJ, Misra S, Westerfield M, Ashburner M, Sim I, Chute CG, Solbrig H, Storey MA, Smith B, Day-Richter J, Noy NF, Musen MA. National Center for Biomedical Ontology: advancing biomedicine through structured organization of scientific knowledge. OMICS. 2006; 10(2):185-98.
- Olasov B, Sim I. RuleEd, a web-based semantic network interface for constructing and revising computable eligibility rules. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2006; 1051.
- Sim I, Detmer DE. Beyond trial registration: a global trial bank for clinical trial reporting. PLoS Med. 2005 Nov; 2(11):e365.
- Miller RH, West C, Brown TM, Sim I, Ganchoff C. The value of electronic health records in solo or small group practices. Health Aff (Millwood). 2005 Sep-Oct; 24(5):1127-37.
- Krleza-Jeric K, Chan AW, Dickersin K, Sim I, Grimshaw J, Gluud C. Principles for international registration of protocol information and results from human trials of health related interventions: Ottawa statement (part 1). BMJ. 2005 Apr 23; 330(7497):956-8.
- Sim I, Cummings SR. Quantifying the gap between proof and practice. Evid Based Cardiovasc Med. 2004 Dec; 8(4):287-90.
- Sim I, Olasov B, Carini S. An ontology of randomized controlled trials for evidence-based practice: content specification and evaluation using the competency decomposition method. J Biomed Inform. 2004 Apr; 37(2):108-19.
- Miller RH, Sim I. Physicians' use of electronic medical records: barriers and solutions. Health Aff (Millwood). 2004 Mar-Apr; 23(2):116-26.
- Berlin A, Sorani M, Sim I. Characteristics of outpatient clinical decision support systems: a taxonomic description. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2004; 107(Pt 1):578-81.
- Miller RH, Sim I, Newman J. Electronic medical records in solo/small groups: a qualitative study of physician user types. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2004; 107(Pt 1):658-62.
- Cuadros J, Sim I. EyePACS: an open source clinical communication system for eye care. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2004; 107(Pt 1):207-11.
- Sim I, Carini S, Olasov B, Jeng S. Trial bank publishing: phase I results. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2004; 107(Pt 2):1476-80.
- Sim I, Cummings SR. A new framework for describing and quantifying the gap between proof and practice. Med Care. 2003 Aug; 41(8):874-81.
- Sim I, Berlin A. A framework for classifying decision support systems. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2003; 599-603.
- Carini S, Sim I. SysBank: a knowledge base for systematic reviews of randomized clinical trials. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2003; 804.
- Sim I, Olasov B, Carini S. The Trial Bank system: capturing randomized trials for evidence-based medicine. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2003; 1076.
- Sim I, Sanders GD, McDonald KM. Evidence-based practice for mere mortals: the role of informatics and health services research. J Gen Intern Med. 2002 Apr; 17(4):302-8.
- Linder JA, Sim I. Antibiotic treatment of acute bronchitis in smokers: a systematic review. J Gen Intern Med. 2002 Mar; 17(3):230-4.
- Sim I, Lavori P. Meta-analyses and large randomized, controlled trials. N Engl J Med. 1998 Jan 01; 338(1):61; author reply 61-2.
- Sim I, McDonald KM, Lavori PW, Norbutas CM, Hlatky MA. Quantitative overview of randomized trials of amiodarone to prevent sudden cardiac death. Circulation. 1997 Nov 04; 96(9):2823-9.
- Sim I, Hlatky MA. Growing pains of meta-analysis. BMJ. 1996 Sep 21; 313(7059):702-3.
- Sim I, Gupta M, McDonald K, Bourassa MG, Hlatky MA. A meta-analysis of randomized trials comparing coronary artery bypass grafting with percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty in multivessel coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol. 1995 Nov 15; 76(14):1025-9.
- Sim I, Rennels G. A trial bank model for the publication of clinical trials. Proc Annu Symp Comput Appl Med Care. 1995; 863-7.
- Pratt W, Sim I. Physician's information customizer (PIC): using a shareable user model to filter the medical literature. Medinfo. 1995; 8 Pt 2:1447-51.
- Burcham TS, Sim I, Bolin LM, Shooter EM. The NGF complex from the African rat Mastomys natalensis. Neurochem Res. 1991 Jun; 16(6):603-12.
- Lepock JR, Cheng KH, Al-Qysi H, Sim I, Koch CJ, Kruuv J. Hyperthermia-induced inhibition of respiration and mitochondrial protein denaturation in CHL cells. Int J Hyperthermia. 1987 Mar-Apr; 3(2):123-32.
- Frankfurt M, Siegel RA, Sim I, Wuttke W. Estrous cycle variations in cholecystokinin and substance P concentrations in discrete areas of the rat brain. Neuroendocrinology. 1986; 42(3):226-31.
- Frankfurt M, Siegel RA, Sim I, Wuttke W. Cholecystokinin and substance P concentrations in discrete areas of the rat brain: sex differences. Brain Res. 1985 Dec 09; 358(1-2):53-8.