Cindy Lai, MD
505 Parnassus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94117
Dr. Lai completed a primary care internal medicine residency at Massachusetts General Hospital and a general medicine clinician-educator fellowship at UCSF. She attends on the medicine wards at Parnassus/Moffitt-Long Hospitals and has a primary care practice at UCSF-Mt. Zion, where she also precepts residents and PISCES clerkship students. She serves as the Director of Medical Student Clinical Education for the Department of Medicine. In her role as Clerkship Director, she oversees the third-year medicine clerkships and fourth-year subinternships and electives. She also serves as the site director for the medicine clerkship at Parnassus/Moffitt-Long Hospitals and is the course director of Intersessions for third-year medical students. She mentors clinical medical students and residents, and assists with faculty and fellow development for the Division of Hospital Medicine. Dr. Lai also serves as a Deputy Editor for the Journal of General Internal Medicine and is an Editor for the First Aid for the Internal Medicine Boards. Dr. Lai has received multiple awards for teaching and mentoring, and is a member of UCSF's Haile T. Debas Academy of Medical Educators.
Related Web Sites
Recent Articles (24)
- Poncelet A, Lai CJ. Going from good to great: explicating norms through continuity in the clinical workplace. Med Educ. 2017 Aug; 51(8):777-779.
- Gonzalo JD, Dekhtyar M, Starr SR, Borkan J, Brunett P, Fancher T, Green J, Grethlein SJ, Lai C, Lawson L, Monrad S, O'Sullivan P, Schwartz MD, Skochelak S. Health Systems Science Curricula in Undergraduate Medical Education: Identifying and Defining a Potential Curricular Framework. Acad Med. 2017 01; 92(1):123-131.
- Lai C, Batalden M, Khan A. Longitudinal Integrated Clerkships: Principles, Outcomes, Practical Tools, and Future Directions. Editors: Poncelet A, Hirsh D. Inpatient Education for Longitudinal Integrated Clerkships. 2016; 91-103.
- Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. Clinical Decision Support: Hospital Medicine. 2016.
- Pennington K, Tong IL, Lai CJ, O'Sullivan PS, Sheu L. The Value of Student-Run Clinics for Premedical Students: A Multi-Institutional Study. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2016; 27(3):961-70.
- Stebbins MR, Frear ME, Cutler TW, Lightwood JM, Fingado AR, Lai CJ, Lipton HL. Pharmacy students teaching prescribers strategies to lower prescription drug costs for underserved patients. J Manag Care Pharm. 2013 Sep; 19(7):534-41.
- Chittenden EH, Anderson WG, Lai CJ, O'Sullivan P. An evaluation of interactive web-based curricula for teaching code status discussions. J Palliat Med. 2013 Sep; 16(9):1070-3.
- Sheu L, O'Brien B, O'Sullivan PS, Kwong A, Lai CJ. Systems-based practice learning opportunities in student-run clinics: a qualitative analysis of student experiences. Acad Med. 2013 Jun; 88(6):831-6.
- Ouyang D, Yuan N, Sheu L, Lau G, Chen C, Lai CJ. Community health education at student-run clinics leads to sustained improvement in patients' hepatitis B knowledge. J Community Health. 2013 Jun; 38(3):471-9.
- Rennke S, Mackin L, Wallhagen M, Tam E, Jue V, Smoot B, Lai C. GeriWard: An interprofessional curriculum for health professions student teams on systems-based care of the hospitalized older adult. MedEdPORTAL. 2013.
- Sheu L, Lai CJ, Coelho AD, Lin LD, Zheng P, Hom P, Diaz V, O'Sullivan PS. Impact of student-run clinics on preclinical sociocultural and interprofessional attitudes: a prospective cohort analysis. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2012 Aug; 23(3):1058-72.
- Batalden M, Lai CJ. The Alliance for Clinical Education Guidebook for Clerkship Directors. Inpatient Medicine in Longitudinal Integrated Clerkships. 2012.
- Lai CJ, Smith AR, Stebbins MR, Cutler TW, Lipton HL. Promoting interprofessional collaboration: pharmacy students teaching current and future prescribers about Medicare Part D. J Manag Care Pharm. 2011 Jul-Aug; 17(6):439-48.
- Le T, Chin-Hong, PV, Baudendistel TE, Lai CJ, Editors. First Aid for the Internal Medicine Boards. 2011; 1-754.
- Sheu LC, Zheng P, Coelho AD, Lin LD, O'Sullivan PS, O'Brien BC, Yu AY, Lai CJ. Learning through service: student perceptions on volunteering at interprofessional hepatitis B student-run clinics. J Cancer Educ. 2011 Jun; 26(2):228-33.
- Poncelet A, Bokser S, Calton B, Hauer KE, Kirsch H, Jones T, Lai CJ, Mazotti L, Shore W, Teherani A, Tong L, Wamsley M, Robertson P. Development of a longitudinal integrated clerkship at an academic medical center. Med Educ Online. 2011 Apr 04; 16.
- Lipton HL, Lai CJ, Cutler TW, Smith AR, Stebbins MR. Peer-to-peer interprofessional health policy education for Medicare part D. Am J Pharm Educ. 2010 Aug 10; 74(6):102.
- Sheu LC, Toy BC, Kwahk E, Yu A, Adler J, Lai CJ. A model for interprofessional health disparities education: student-led curriculum on chronic hepatitis B infection. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 May; 25 Suppl 2:S140-5.
- Hill-Sakurai LE, Lee CA, Schickedanz A, Maa J, Lai CJ. A professional development course for the clinical clerkships: developing a student-centered curriculum. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Jul; 23(7):964-8.
- Lai CJ, Nye HE, Bookwalter T, Kwan A, Hauer KE. Postdischarge follow-up visits for medical and pharmacy students on an inpatient medicine clerkship. J Hosp Med. 2008 Jan; 3(1):20-7.
- Lai CJ, Nguyen TT, Hwang J, Stewart SL, Kwan A, McPhee SJ. Provider knowledge and practice regarding hepatitis B screening in Chinese-speaking patients. J Cancer Educ. 2007; 22(1):37-41.
- Lai CJ, Aagaard E, Brandenburg S, Nadkarni M, Wei HG, Baron R. Brief report: Multiprogram evaluation of reading habits of primary care internal medicine residents on ambulatory rotations. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 May; 21(5):486-9.
- Lai C, Julian K, Baron R. Teaching chronic disease management to interdisciplinary medical learners. Med Educ. 2005 Nov; 39(11):1162-3.
- Lai CJ, Terrault NA. Antiviral therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis B and cirrhosis. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2004 Sep; 33(3):629-54, x-xi.