Steven Pantilat, MD
533 Parnassus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94117
Steven Pantilat, MD, is a Professor of Medicine in the Department of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, the Kates-Burnard and Hellman Distinguished Professor in Palliative Care, and the founding Director of the UCSF Palliative Care Program that received a Circle of Life Award in recognition of excellence and innovation from the American Hospital Association in 2007. Dr. Pantilat is a palliative care physician and a hospitalist, and is an internationally recognized expert in both hospital medicine and Palliative Care. Dr. Pantilat is the Director of the UCSF Palliative Care Leadership Center that has train teams from over 200 hospitals across the country on how to establish Palliative Care Services and he consults with hospitals and health systems nationally to help them establish, implement and grow palliative care programs. He is also the Director of the Palliative Care Quality Network, a national collaboration of over 85 Palliative Care teams focused on improving the quality of care for seriously ill people.
Dr. Pantilat is Board Certified in Hospice and Palliative Medicine and in Internal Medicine with Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine. Dr. Pantilat was elected a Master of Hospital Medicine by the Society of Hospital Medicine in 2014 in recognition of his many contributions to the field and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians. In 2007 he was a Fulbright Senior Scholar studying palliative care at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, University of Sydney, and Curtin University in Sydney, Australia. He served as President of the Society of Hospital Medicine in 2005-6, and is a past member of the Board of Directors, and the former Chair of the Ethics committee for the Society of Hospital Medicine. Dr. Pantilat serves on the UCSF Medical Center Ethics Committee.
In 2011 Dr. Pantilat received a James Irvine Foundation Leadership Award in recognition of his work to improve the lives of Californians and in 2014 Dr. Pantilat received the Ritz E. Heerman Award from the California Hospital Association in recognition of his work to improve the quality of palliative care. Dr. Pantilat also serves as Chair of the Advisory Board for the Cambia Foundation's Sojourn Scholars Leadership Award program and on the Steering committee of the Palliative Care Research Collaborative. Dr. Pantilat was a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar at UCSF and is a Faculty Scholar of the Project on Death in America. In 2015 he was named a Best Doctor in Palliative Care by San Francisco Magazine and Marin Magazine and a Top Doctor for Cancer by Newsweek magazine. He has received five teaching awards from the medical students at UCSF for outstanding lectures and lecture series.
Dr. Pantilat has published over 90 peer-reviewed scientific papers, authored two dozen book chapters, and co-edited with colleagues at UCSF a textbook on palliative care titled, "Care at the Close of Life" and in 2015 the textbook, "Hospital Based Palliative Medicine." His book for the public about living well with serious illness titled "Life After the Diagnosis: Expert Advice on Living Well with Serious Illness for Patients and their Caregivers" was published by DaCapo Lifelong Books on Valentine's Day 2017.
Awards and Honors
Best Doctor in Palliative Care, San Francisco Magazine, 2015
Kates-Burnard and Hellman Distinguished Professor in Palliative Care, UCSF School of Medicine, 2015
Ritz E. Heerman Award, California Hospital Association, 2014
Master in Hospital Medicine, Society of Hospital Medicine, 2014
Fellow, American Academy of Hospice and Palliaitve Medicine, 2011
Irvine Foundation Leadership Award, James Irvine Foundation, 2011
Senior Fellow in Hospital Medicine, Society of Hospital Medicine, 2010
Diplomate, Palliative Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2008
Fulbright Senior Scholar (University of Sydney, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Curtin University), Australian-American Fulbright Commission, 2007
Alan M. Kates and John M. Burnard Endowed Chair in Palliative Care, UCSF, 2006
President, Society of Hospital Medicine, 2005-2006
Excellence in Teaching Award, UCSF School of Medicine, 2004
Outstanding Lecture Series, UCSF School of Medicine, 2004
Award of Excellence in Teaching, Society of Hospital Medicine, 2001
Excellence in Teaching Award, UCSF School of Medicine, 2001
Project on Death In American Faculty Scholar, Open Society Institute, 1998
Related Web Sites
Recent Articles (73)
- Dzeng E, Pantilat SZ. Social Causes of Rational Suicide in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018 Mar 02.
- Bischoff K, O'Riordan DL, Marks AK, Sudore R, Pantilat SZ. Care Planning for Inpatients Referred for Palliative Care Consultation. JAMA Intern Med. 2018 Jan 01; 178(1):48-54.
- Kamal AH, Kirkland KB, Meier DE, Morgan TS, Nelson EC, Pantilat SZ. A Person-Centered, Registry-Based Learning Health System for Palliative Care: A Path to Coproducing Better Outcomes, Experience, Value, and Science. J Palliat Med. 2018 Mar; 21(S2):S61-S67.
- Bischoff KE, O'Riordan DL, Fazzalaro K, Kinderman A, Pantilat SZ. Identifying Opportunities to Improve Pain Among Patients With Serious Illness. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2018 Mar; 55(3):881-889.
- Bischoff K, Anderson W, Pantilat SZ. A Video Is Worth a Thousand Words. J Hosp Med. 2017 Sep; 12(9):773-774.
- Anderson WG, Puntillo K, Cimino J, Noort J, Pearson D, Boyle D, Grywalski M, Meyer J, O'Neil-Page E, Cain J, Herman H, Barbour S, Turner K, Moore E, Liao S, Ferrell B, Mitchell W, Edmonds K, Fairman N, Joseph D, MacMillan J, Milic MM, Miller M, Nakagawa L, O'Riordan DL, Pietras C, Thornberry K, Pantilat SZ. Palliative Care Professional Development for Critical Care Nurses: A Multicenter Program. Am J Crit Care. 2017 Sep; 26(5):361-371.
- Grubbs V, O'Riordan D, Pantilat S. Characteristics and Outcomes of In-Hospital Palliative Care Consultation among Patients with Renal Disease Versus Other Serious Illnesses. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Jul 07; 12(7):1085-1089.
- Pantilat SZ, Marks AK, Bischoff KE, Bragg AR, O'Riordan DL. The Palliative Care Quality Network: Improving the Quality of Caring. J Palliat Med. 2017 Aug; 20(8):862-868.
- Selman LE, Daveson BA, Smith M, Johnston B, Ryan K, Morrison RS, Pannell C, McQuillan R, de Wolf-Linder S, Pantilat SZ, Klass L, Meier D, Normand C, Higginson IJ. How empowering is hospital care for older people with advanced disease? Barriers and facilitators from a cross-national ethnography in England, Ireland and the USA. Age Ageing. 2017 Mar 01; 46(2):300-309.
- Sudore RL, Lum HD, You JJ, Hanson LC, Meier DE, Pantilat SZ, Matlock DD, Rietjens JAC, Korfage IJ, Ritchie CS, Kutner JS, Teno JM, Thomas J, McMahan RD, Heyland DK. Defining Advance Care Planning for Adults: A Consensus Definition From a Multidisciplinary Delphi Panel. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2017 May; 53(5):821-832.e1.
- Gordon NA, O'Riordan DL, Dracup KA, De Marco T, Pantilat SZ. Let Us Talk About It: Heart Failure Patients' Preferences Toward Discussions about Prognosis, Advance Care Planning, and Spiritual Support. J Palliat Med. 2017 01; 20(1):79-83.
- Thygeson NM, Wang M, O'Riordan D, Pantilat SZ. Self-Reported California Hospital Palliative Care Program Composition, Certification, and Staffing Level Are Associated with Lower End-of-Life Medicare Utilization. J Palliat Med. 2016 Dec; 19(12):1281-1287.
- Pantilat SZ, O'Riordan DL, Rathfon MA, Dracup KA, De Marco T. Etiology of Pain and Its Association with Quality of Life among Patients with Heart Failure. J Palliat Med. 2016 Dec; 19(12):1254-1259.
- Kinderman AL, Harris HA, Brousseau RT, Close P, Pantilat SZ. Starting and Sustaining Palliative Care in Public Hospitals: Lessons Learned from a Statewide Initiative. J Palliat Med. 2016 Sep; 19(9):908-16.
- Beck KR, Pantilat SZ, O'Riordan DL, Peters MG. Use of Palliative Care Consultation for Patients with End-Stage Liver Disease: Survey of Liver Transplant Service Providers. J Palliat Med. 2016 Aug; 19(8):836-41.
- Anderson WG, Puntillo K, Boyle D, Barbour S, Turner K, Cimino J, Moore E, Noort J, MacMillan J, Pearson D, Grywalski M, Liao S, Ferrell B, Meyer J, O'Neil-Page E, Cain J, Herman H, Mitchell W, Pantilat S. ICU Bedside Nurses' Involvement in Palliative Care Communication: A Multicenter Survey. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016 Mar; 51(3):589-596.e2.
- Kamal AH, Harrison KL, Bakitas M, Dionne-Odom JN, Zubkoff L, Akyar I, Pantilat SZ, O'Riordan DL, Bragg AR, Bischoff KE, Bull J. Improving the Quality of Palliative Care Through National and Regional Collaboration Efforts. Cancer Control. 2015 Oct; 22(4):396-402.
- Pantilat SZ. Hope to reality: The future of hospitalists and palliative care. J Hosp Med. 2015 Oct; 10(10):701-2.
- Kutner JS, Blatchford PJ, Taylor DH, Ritchie CS, Bull JH, Fairclough DL, Hanson LC, LeBlanc TW, Samsa GP, Wolf S, Aziz NM, Currow DC, Ferrell B, Wagner-Johnston N, Zafar SY, Cleary JF, Dev S, Goode PS, Kamal AH, Kassner C, Kvale EA, McCallum JG, Ogunseitan AB, Pantilat SZ, Portenoy RK, Prince-Paul M, Sloan JA, Swetz KM, Von Gunten CF, Abernethy AP. Safety and benefit of discontinuing statin therapy in the setting of advanced, life-limiting illness: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 May; 175(5):691-700.
- Howie-Esquivel J, Carroll M, Brinker E, Kao H, Pantilat S, Rago K, De Marco T. A Strategy to Reduce Heart Failure Readmissions and Inpatient Costs. Cardiol Res. 2015 Feb; 6(1):201-208.
- Bertain CJ, O'Riordan DL, Pantilat SZ. Learning from those without: identifying barriers and creating solutions to establishing hospital palliative care services. J Hosp Med. 2015 Apr; 10(4):254-5.
- Rabow MW, O'Riordan DL, Pantilat SZ. A statewide survey of adult and pediatric outpatient palliative care services. J Palliat Med. 2014 Dec; 17(12):1311-6.
- Reid T, O'Riordan DL, Mazzini A, Bruno KA, Pantilat SZ. Pediatric palliative care consultation services in California hospitals. J Palliat Med. 2014 Dec; 17(12):1306-10.
- Pantilat SZ, O'Riordan DL, Bruno KA. Two steps forward, one step back: changes in palliative care consultation services in California hospitals from 2007 to 2011. J Palliat Med. 2014 Nov; 17(11):1214-20.
- Kamal AH, Hanson LC, Casarett DJ, Dy SM, Pantilat SZ, Lupu D, Abernethy AP. The quality imperative for palliative care. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015 Feb; 49(2):243-53.
- Bischoff K, Currow DC, Corvera C, Pantilat SZ. Unanswered questions in malignant bowel obstruction. J Palliat Care. 2014; 30(4):265-70.
- Gomutbutra P, O'Riordan DL, Pantilat SZ. Management of moderate-to-severe dyspnea in hospitalized patients receiving palliative care. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2013 May; 45(5):885-91.
- Pantilat SZ. When it's the right care, more is better: comment on "palliative care and quality of life" and "pain as a cause of agitated delirium". Arch Intern Med. 2012 Aug 13; 172(15):1172-3.
- Schenker Y, Fernandez A, Kerr K, O'Riordan D, Pantilat SZ. Interpretation for discussions about end-of-life issues: results from a National Survey of Health Care Interpreters. J Palliat Med. 2012 Sep; 15(9):1019-26.
- Pantilat SZ, O'Riordan DL, Dibble SL, Landefeld CS. An assessment of the screening performance of a single-item measure of depression from the Edmonton Symptom Assessment Scale among chronically ill hospitalized patients. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2012 May; 43(5):866-73.
- Ryerson CJ, Arean PA, Berkeley J, Carrieri-Kohlman VL, Pantilat SZ, Landefeld CS, Collard HR. Depression is a common and chronic comorbidity in patients with interstitial lung disease. Respirology. 2012 Apr; 17(3):525-32.
- Pantilat SZ, Kerr KM, Billings JA, Bruno KA, O'Riordan DL. Characteristics of palliative care consultation services in California hospitals. J Palliat Med. 2012 May; 15(5):555-60.
- Brousseau RT, Jameson W, Kalanj B, Kerr K, O'Malley K, Pantilat S. A multifaceted approach to spreading palliative care consultation services in California public hospital systems. J Healthc Qual. 2012 Mar-Apr; 34(2):77-85.
- Pantilat SZ, O'Riordan DL, Dibble SL, Landefeld CS. Longitudinal assessment of symptom severity among hospitalized elders diagnosed with cancer, heart failure, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Hosp Med. 2012 Sep; 7(7):567-72.
- Ryerson CJ, Donesky D, Pantilat SZ, Collard HR. Dyspnea in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: a systematic review. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2012 Apr; 43(4):771-82.
- Pantilat SZ, Kerr KM, Kutner JS, Ferris FD, Rathfon MA, Rabow MW. Leveraging external resources to grow and sustain your palliative care program: a call to action. J Palliat Med. 2012 Jan; 15(1):25-8.
- Berger GN, O'Riordan DL, Kerr K, Pantilat SZ. Prevalence and characteristics of outpatient palliative care services in California. Arch Intern Med. 2011 Dec 12; 171(22):2057-9.
- Pantilat SZ, Kerr KM, Billings JA, Bruno KA, O'Riordan DL. Palliative care services in California hospitals: program prevalence and hospital characteristics. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2012 Jan; 43(1):39-46.
- Pantilat SZ, O'Riordan DL, Dibble SL, Landefeld CS. Hospital-based palliative medicine consultation: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med. 2010 Dec 13; 170(22):2038-40.
- Abernethy AP, Aziz NM, Basch E, Bull J, Cleeland CS, Currow DC, Fairclough D, Hanson L, Hauser J, Ko D, Lloyd L, Morrison RS, Otis-Green S, Pantilat S, Portenoy RK, Ritchie C, Rocker G, Wheeler JL, Zafar SY, Kutner JS. A strategy to advance the evidence base in palliative medicine: formation of a palliative care research cooperative group. J Palliat Med. 2010 Dec; 13(12):1407-13.
- Anderson WG, Chase R, Pantilat SZ, Tulsky JA, Auerbach AD. Code status discussions between attending hospitalist physicians and medical patients at hospital admission. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Apr; 26(4):359-66.
- Rabow MW, Pantilat SZ, Kerr K, Enguidanos S, Ferrell B, Goldstein R, Pankratz C, Picchi T, Rosenfeld KE, Stone SC. The intersection of need and opportunity: assessing and capitalizing on opportunities to expand hospital-based palliative care services. J Palliat Med. 2010 Oct; 13(10):1205-10.
- Ritchie CS, Ceronsky L, Coté TR, Herr S, Pantilat SZ, Smith TJ, Yosick L. Palliative care programs: the challenges of growth. J Palliat Med. 2010 Sep; 13(9):1065-70.
- Anderson WG, Pantilat SZ, Meltzer D, Schnipper J, Kaboli P, Wetterneck TB, Gonzales D, Arora V, Zhang J, Auerbach AD. Code status discussions at hospital admission are not associated with patient and surrogate satisfaction with hospital care: results from the multicenter hospitalist study. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2011 Mar; 28(2):102-8.
- Ryerson CJ, Berkeley J, Carrieri-Kohlman VL, Pantilat SZ, Landefeld CS, Collard HR. Depression and functional status are strongly associated with dyspnea in interstitial lung disease. Chest. 2011 Mar; 139(3):609-616.
- Ryerson CJ, Collard HR, Pantilat SZ. Management of dyspnea in interstitial lung disease. Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. 2010 Jun; 4(2):69-75.
- Cassel JB, Kerr K, Pantilat S, Smith TJ. Palliative care consultation and hospital length of stay. J Palliat Med. 2010 Jun; 13(6):761-7.
- Widera E, Pantilat SZ. Hospitalization as an opportunity to integrate palliative care in heart failure management. Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. 2009 Dec; 3(4):247-51.
- Pantilat SZ. Communicating with seriously ill patients: better words to say. JAMA. 2009 Mar 25; 301(12):1279-81.
- Auerbach AD, Katz R, Pantilat SZ, Bernacki R, Schnipper J, Kaboli P, Wetterneck T, Gonzales D, Arora V, Zhang J, Meltzer D. Factors associated with discussion of care plans and code status at the time of hospital admission: results from the Multicenter Hospitalist Study. J Hosp Med. 2008 Nov-Dec; 3(6):437-45.
- Sudore RL, Landefeld CS, Pantilat SZ, Noyes KM, Schillinger D. Reach and impact of a mass media event among vulnerable patients: the Terri Schiavo story. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Nov; 23(11):1854-7.
- Collard HR, Pantilat SZ. Dyspnea in interstitial lung disease. Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. 2008 Jun; 2(2):100-4.
- Sudore RL, Schickedanz AD, Landefeld CS, Williams BA, Lindquist K, Pantilat SZ, Schillinger D. Engagement in multiple steps of the advance care planning process: a descriptive study of diverse older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008 Jun; 56(6):1006-13.
- Chen LM, Miaskowski C, Dodd M, Pantilat S. Concepts within the Chinese culture that influence the cancer pain experience. Cancer Nurs. 2008 Mar-Apr; 31(2):103-8.
- Pantilat SZ, Isaac M. End-of-life care for the hospitalized patient. Med Clin North Am. 2008 Mar; 92(2):349-70, viii-ix.
- Markowitz AJ, Pantilat SZ. Palliative care for frail older adults: "there are things I can't do anymore that I wish I could". JAMA. 2006 Dec 27; 296(24):2967.
- Chittenden EH, Clark ST, Pantilat SZ. Discussing resuscitation preferences with patients: challenges and rewards. J Hosp Med. 2006 Jul; 1(4):231-40.
- Pantilat SZ, Rabow MW, Citko J, von Gunten CF, Auerbach AD, Ferris FD. Evaluating the California Hospital Initiative in Palliative Services. Arch Intern Med. 2006 Jan 23; 166(2):227-30.
- Pantilat SZ. Palliative care and hospitalists: a partnership for hope. J Hosp Med. 2006 Jan; 1(1):5-6.
- Bardach N, Zhao S, Pantilat S, Johnston SC. Adjustment for do-not-resuscitate orders reverses the apparent in-hospital mortality advantage for minorities. Am J Med. 2005 Apr; 118(4):400-8.
- Pantilat SZ, Steimle AE. Palliative care for patients with heart failure. JAMA. 2004 May 26; 291(20):2476-82.
- Auerbach AD, Pantilat SZ. End-of-life care in a voluntary hospitalist model: effects on communication, processes of care, and patient symptoms. Am J Med. 2004 May 15; 116(10):669-75.
- Rabow MW, Dibble SL, Pantilat SZ, McPhee SJ. The comprehensive care team: a controlled trial of outpatient palliative medicine consultation. Arch Intern Med. 2004 Jan 12; 164(1):83-91.
- Lo B, Kates LW, Ruston D, Arnold RM, Cohen CB, Puchalski CM, Pantilat SZ, Rabow MW, Schreiber RS, Tulsky JA. Responding to requests regarding prayer and religious ceremonies by patients near the end of life and their families. J Palliat Med. 2003 Jun; 6(3):409-15.
- Pantilat SZ, Billings JA. Prevalence and structure of palliative care services in California hospitals. Arch Intern Med. 2003 May 12; 163(9):1084-8.
- Pantilat SZ. End-of-life care for the hospitalized patient. Med Clin North Am. 2002 Jul; 86(4):749-70, viii.
- Hruby M, Pantilat SZ, Lo B. How do patients view the role of the primary care physician in inpatient care? Dis Mon. 2002 Apr; 48(4):230-8.
- Goldman L, Pantilat SZ, Whitcomb WF. Passing the clinical baton: 6 principles to guide the hospitalist. Dis Mon. 2002 Apr; 48(4):260-6.
- Pantilat SZ, Lindenauer PK, Katz PP, Wachter RM. Primary care physician attitudes regarding communication with hospitalists. Dis Mon. 2002 Apr; 48(4):218-29.
- Wachter RM, Pantilat SZ. The "continuity visit" and the hospitalist model of care. Dis Mon. 2002 Apr; 48(4):267-72.
- Dudas V, Bookwalter T, Kerr KM, Pantilat SZ. The impact of follow-up telephone calls to patients after hospitalization. Dis Mon. 2002 Apr; 48(4):239-48.
- Pantilat SZ, Wachter RM. The patient provider relationship and the hospitalist movement. Introduction. Dis Mon. 2002 Apr; 48(4):189-90.
- Lo B, Ruston D, Kates LW, Arnold RM, Cohen CB, Faber-Langendoen K, Pantilat SZ, Puchalski CM, Quill TR, Rabow MW, Schreiber S, Sulmasy DP, Tulsky JA. Discussing religious and spiritual issues at the end of life: a practical guide for physicians. JAMA. 2002 Feb 13; 287(6):749-54.