Elizabeth Murphy, MD, PhD
1001 Potrero Ave, SFGH 100
San Francisco, CA 94110
Elizabeth Murphy, MD, DPhil, is Chief of the Endocrinology and Metabolism Division, Director of the Diabetes Center for High Risk Populations and Specialty Lead of the eReferral Program at San Francisco General Hospital and a Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.
As Chief of the Endocrinology and Metabolism Division at SFGH, Dr. Murphy's work has focused on improving access and quality of endocrinology and diabetes care for low income, diverse populations in the San Francisco safety net. As Director of the Diabetes Center for High Risk Populations, she has led the development of novel services such as medical group visits for insulin initiation in English and Spanish, low literacy insulin teaching aids for patients, medication management algorithms for primary care, and targeted outreach to SF County Jail patients. Her team's efforts in health disparities were recognized by the American Diabetes Association's Promising Practice Award of Excellence in 2012 and were an integral part of the Healthy San Francisco Chronic Care Redesign Program recognized by the National Association of Public Hospitals' Safety Net Award in 2010.
Through her work as Specialty Lead of the eReferral program, Dr. Murphy has been instrumental in standardizing the role of the specialist reviewer with an emphasis on improving primary-specialty care communication. In addition she has worked with the Endocrine Society on improving the referral process as part of the ACP High Value Care Coordination Project.
Previously, Dr. Murphy served as the Chief Medical Officer of KineMed, Inc, a biotechnology company focused on the use of stable isotope technology to measure kinetic processes for drug development. There she was responsible for in vivo human studies in diverse areas including insulin resistance and diabetes, lipid metabolism, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, prostate cancer, and bile acid kinetics.
A practicing endocrinologist, Dr. Murphy received the UCSF/San Francisco General Hospital Department of Medicine Subspecialty Consultant of the Year Award in 2011, the John Karum Clinician Educator Award in 2011 for her work with UCSF endocrinology fellows and in 2015 was named a Master Clinician in the Department of Medicine.
Dr. Murphy received her BA in Chemistry from Wellesley College, a D.Phil. in Biochemistry from Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar, and MD from Harvard Medical School in the Harvard-MIT affiliated Health Sciences and Technology program. She completed her internal medicine residency and endocrinology fellowship training at UCSF.
Related Web Sites
Recent Articles (37)
- Kuo CR, Quan J, Kim S, Tang AH, Heuerman DP, Murphy EJ. Group visits to encourage insulin initiation: targeting patient barriers. J Clin Nurs. 2017 Jun; 26(11-12):1705-1713.
- Murphy EJ, Neuberg DS, Rassenti LZ, Hayes G, Redd R, Emson C, Li K, Brown JR, Wierda WG, Turner S, Greaves AW, Zent CS, Byrd JC, McConnel C, Barrientos J, Kay N, Hellerstein MK, Chiorazzi N, Kipps TJ, Rai KR. Leukemia-cell proliferation and disease progression in patients with early stage chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leukemia. 2017 Jun; 31(6):1348-1354.
- Ratanawongsa N, Chan LL, Fouts MM, Murphy EJ. The Challenges of Electronic Health Records and Diabetes Electronic Prescribing: Implications for Safety Net Care for Diverse Populations. J Diabetes Res. 2017; 2017:8983237.
- Tuvdendorj D, Munoz AO, Ruiz-Barros V, Schwarz JM, Montalto G, Chandalia M, Sowers LC, Rizzo M, Murphy EJ, Abate N. In vivo triglyceride synthesis in subcutaneous adipose tissue of humans correlates with plasma HDL parameters. Atherosclerosis. 2016 Aug; 251:147-152.
- Marshall NE, Murphy EJ, King JC, Haas EK, Lim JY, Wiedrick J, Thornburg KL, Purnell JQ. Comparison of multiple methods to measure maternal fat mass in late gestation. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 Apr; 103(4):1055-63.
- Tuot DS, Leeds K, Murphy EJ, Sarkar U, Lyles CR, Mekonnen T, Chen AH. Facilitators and barriers to implementing electronic referral and/or consultation systems: a qualitative study of 16 health organizations. BMC Health Serv Res. 2015 Dec 19; 15:568.
- Epstein AE, Olshansky B, Naccarelli GV, Kennedy JI, Murphy EJ, Goldschlager N. Practical Management Guide for Clinicians Who Treat Patients with Amiodarone. Am J Med. 2016 May; 129(5):468-75.
- Stern RJ, Murphy EJ. Metformin as Initial Oral Therapy in Type 2 Diabetes. JAMA. 2015 Jun 23-30; 313(24):2484-5.
- Tuot DS, Murphy EJ, McCulloch CE, Leeds K, Chan E, Chen AH. Leveraging an electronic referral system to build a medical neighborhood. Healthc (Amst). 2015 Dec; 3(4):202-8.
- McDermott KA, Rao MR, Nagarathna R, Murphy EJ, Burke A, Nagendra RH, Hecht FM. A yoga intervention for type 2 diabetes risk reduction: a pilot randomized controlled trial. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014 Jul 01; 14:212.
- Saslow LR, Kim S, Daubenmier JJ, Moskowitz JT, Phinney SD, Goldman V, Murphy EJ, Cox RM, Moran P, Hecht FM. A randomized pilot trial of a moderate carbohydrate diet compared to a very low carbohydrate diet in overweight or obese individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus or prediabetes. PLoS One. 2014; 9(4):e91027.
- Tuvdendorj D, Chandalia M, Batbayar T, Saraf M, Beysen C, Murphy EJ, Abate N. Altered subcutaneous abdominal adipose tissue lipid synthesis in obese, insulin-resistant humans. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Oct 15; 305(8):E999-E1006.
- Chen AH, Murphy EJ, Yee HF. eReferral--a new model for integrated care. N Engl J Med. 2013 Jun 27; 368(26):2450-3.
- Okeigwe I, Yeaton-Massey A, Kim S, Vargas JE, Murphy EJ. U-500R and aspart insulin for the treatment of severe insulin resistance in pregnancy associated with pregestational diabetes. J Perinatol. 2013 Mar; 33(3):235-8.
- Turner S, Voogt J, Davidson M, Glass A, Killion S, Decaris J, Mohammed H, Minehira K, Boban D, Murphy E, Luchoomun J, Awada M, Neese R, Hellerstein M. Measurement of reverse cholesterol transport pathways in humans: in vivo rates of free cholesterol efflux, esterification, and excretion. J Am Heart Assoc. 2012 Aug; 1(4):e001826.
- Hayes GM, Simko J, Holochwost D, Kuchinsky K, Busch R, Misell L, Murphy EJ, Carroll P, Chan J, Shinohara K, Hellerstein MK. Regional cell proliferation in microdissected human prostate specimens after heavy water labeling in vivo: correlation with prostate epithelial cells isolated from seminal fluid. Clin Cancer Res. 2012 Jun 15; 18(12):3250-60.
- Beysen C, Murphy EJ, Deines K, Chan M, Tsang E, Glass A, Turner SM, Protasio J, Riiff T, Hellerstein MK. Effect of bile acid sequestrants on glucose metabolism, hepatic de novo lipogenesis, and cholesterol and bile acid kinetics in type 2 diabetes: a randomised controlled study. Diabetologia. 2012 Feb; 55(2):432-42.
- Wilson JP, Mulligan K, Fan B, Sherman JL, Murphy EJ, Tai VW, Powers CL, Marquez L, Ruiz-Barros V, Shepherd JA. Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry-based body volume measurement for 4-compartment body composition. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Jan; 95(1):25-31.
- Calissano C, Damle RN, Marsilio S, Yan XJ, Yancopoulos S, Hayes G, Emson C, Murphy EJ, Hellerstein MK, Sison C, Kaufman MS, Kolitz JE, Allen SL, Rai KR, Ivanovic I, Dozmorov IM, Roa S, Scharff MD, Li W, Chiorazzi N. Intraclonal complexity in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: fractions enriched in recently born/divided and older/quiescent cells. Mol Med. 2011; 17(11-12):1374-82.
- Brufau G, Stellaard F, Prado K, Bloks VW, Jonkers E, Boverhof R, Kuipers F, Murphy EJ. Improved glycemic control with colesevelam treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes is not directly associated with changes in bile acid metabolism. Hepatology. 2010 Oct; 52(4):1455-64.
- Brufau G, Bahr MJ, Staels B, Claudel T, Ockenga J, Böker KH, Murphy EJ, Prado K, Stellaard F, Manns MP, Kuipers F, Tietge UJ. Plasma bile acids are not associated with energy metabolism in humans. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010 Sep 03; 7:73.
- Stellaard F, Bloks VW, Burgerhof HG, Scheltema RA, Murphy EJ, Romijn HA, Smelt GH, Brufau G, Kuipers F. Two time-point assessment of bile acid kinetics in humans using stable isotopes. Isotopes Environ Health Stud. 2010 Sep; 46(3):325-36.
- Sarkar U, Handley MA, Gupta R, Tang A, Murphy E, Seligman HK, Shojania KG, Schillinger D. What happens between visits? Adverse and potential adverse events among a low-income, urban, ambulatory population with diabetes. Qual Saf Health Care. 2010 Jun; 19(3):223-8.
- Hayes GM, Busch R, Voogt J, Siah IM, Gee TA, Hellerstein MK, Chiorazzi N, Rai KR, Murphy EJ. Isolation of malignant B cells from patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) for analysis of cell proliferation: validation of a simplified method suitable for multi-center clinical studies. Leuk Res. 2010 Jun; 34(6):809-15.
- Calissano C, Damle RN, Hayes G, Murphy EJ, Hellerstein MK, Moreno C, Sison C, Kaufman MS, Kolitz JE, Allen SL, Rai KR, Chiorazzi N. In vivo intraclonal and interclonal kinetic heterogeneity in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood. 2009 Nov 26; 114(23):4832-42.
- Beysen C, Murphy EJ, Nagaraja H, Decaris M, Riiff T, Fong A, Hellerstein MK, Boyle PJ. A pilot study of the effects of pioglitazone and rosiglitazone on de novo lipogenesis in type 2 diabetes. J Lipid Res. 2008 Dec; 49(12):2657-63.
- Sarkar U, Handley MA, Gupta R, Tang A, Murphy E, Seligman HK, Shojania KG, Schillinger D. Use of an interactive, telephone-based self-management support program to identify adverse events among ambulatory diabetes patients. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Apr; 23(4):459-65.
- Goldschlager N, Epstein AE, Naccarelli GV, Olshansky B, Singh B, Collard HR, Murphy E. A practical guide for clinicians who treat patients with amiodarone: 2007. Heart Rhythm. 2007 Sep; 4(9):1250-9.
- Beysen C, Murphy EJ, McLaughlin T, Riiff T, Lamendola C, Turner HC, Awada M, Turner SM, Reaven G, Hellerstein MK. Whole-body glycolysis measured by the deuterated-glucose disposal test correlates highly with insulin resistance in vivo. Diabetes Care. 2007 May; 30(5):1143-9.
- Voogt JN, Awada M, Murphy EJ, Hayes GM, Busch R, Hellerstein MK. Measurement of very low rates of cell proliferation by heavy water labeling of DNA and gas chromatography/pyrolysis/isotope ratio-mass spectrometric analysis. Nat Protoc. 2007; 2(12):3058-62.
- Turner SM, Roy S, Sul HS, Neese RA, Murphy EJ, Samandi W, Roohk DJ, Hellerstein MK. Dissociation between adipose tissue fluxes and lipogenic gene expression in ob/ob mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Apr; 292(4):E1101-9.
- Murphy EJ. Stable isotope methods for the in vivo measurement of lipogenesis and triglyceride metabolism. J Anim Sci. 2006 Apr; 84 Suppl:E94-104.
- Chen JL, Peacock E, Samady W, Turner SM, Neese RA, Hellerstein MK, Murphy EJ. Physiologic and pharmacologic factors influencing glyceroneogenic contribution to triacylglyceride glycerol measured by mass isotopomer distribution analysis. J Biol Chem. 2005 Jul 08; 280(27):25396-402.
- Messmer BT, Messmer D, Allen SL, Kolitz JE, Kudalkar P, Cesar D, Murphy EJ, Koduru P, Ferrarini M, Zupo S, Cutrona G, Damle RN, Wasil T, Rai KR, Hellerstein MK, Chiorazzi N. In vivo measurements document the dynamic cellular kinetics of chronic lymphocytic leukemia B cells. J Clin Invest. 2005 Mar; 115(3):755-64.
- Turner SM, Murphy EJ, Neese RA, Antelo F, Thomas T, Agarwal A, Go C, Hellerstein MK. Measurement of TG synthesis and turnover in vivo by 2H2O incorporation into the glycerol moiety and application of MIDA. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Oct; 285(4):E790-803.
- Murphy EJ, Davern TJ, Shakil AO, Shick L, Masharani U, Chow H, Freise C, Lee WM, Bass NM. Troglitazone-induced fulminant hepatic failure. Acute Liver Failure Study Group. Dig Dis Sci. 2000 Mar; 45(3):549-53.
- Murphy EJ. Doctor discontent. N Engl J Med. 1999 Feb 25; 340(8):650-1; author reply 652-3.