Michael Steinman, MD
4150 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94121
415-221-4810 ext. 3677
Dr. Steinman received his medical school training at Harvard Medical School and completed a residency in primary care internal medicine at UCSF. He then joined the UCSF Division of Geriatrics for fellowships in the VA National Quality Scholars Program and the UCSF Clinical Geriatrics Fellowship. Dr. Steinman has been a member of the faculty at UCSF since 2004.
Dr. Steinman is a national leader in identifying and improving the quality of medication prescribing in clinically complex older adults. He devotes most of his time to research, while also maintaining an active clinical practice in the geriatrics clinic and inpatient general medicine service at the San Francisco VA Medical Center. Dr. Steinman's research program focuses on improving how doctors prescribe medications for older adults, and is supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health and other funders. His research interests also include pharmaceutical industry marketing and the impacts of marketing on physicians and trainees.
Dr. Steinman is Co-Director for Research, Director of Research Training, and T32 research fellowship director for the UCSF Division of Geriatrics, and is leader of the Data, Measures, and Accrual Core for the UCSF Pepper Center for Aging Research. He also has leadership roles with several national organizations, including service as co-chair of the American Geriatrics Society Beers Criteria guideline panel.
In the News
- Making Health Care Research More Relevant to Patients (Jan 30, 2013)
- Standard Measures of Clinical Care of Blood Pressure Misleading, Say Researchers (Jun 05, 2012)
- As Industry Funding for Medical Education Fades, New Opportunities for Improvements Arise, Say Physicians (Mar 21, 2012)
- Seniors' Adverse Drug Reactions Need Better Prevention Strategies, Say Researchers (Aug 26, 2011)
Recent Articles (102)
- Brown RT, Diaz-Ramirez LG, Boscardin WJ, Lee SJ, Steinman MA. Functional Impairment and Decline in Middle Age: A Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med. 2017 Nov 14.
- Miaskowski C, Wong ML, Cooper BA, Mastick J, Paul SM, Possin K, Steinman M, Cataldo J, Dunn LB, Ritchie C. Distinct Physical Function Profiles in Older Adults Receiving Cancer Chemotherapy. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2017 Sep; 54(3):263-272.
- Brown RT, Komaiko KD, Shi Y, Fung KZ, Boscardin WJ, Au-Yeung A, Tarasovsky G, Jacob R, Steinman MA. Bringing functional status into a big data world: Validation of national Veterans Affairs functional status data. PLoS One. 2017; 12(6):e0178726.
- Steinman MA, Zullo AR, Lee Y, Daiello LA, Boscardin WJ, Dore DD, Gan S, Fung K, Lee SJ, Komaiko KD, Mor V. Association of ß-Blockers With Functional Outcomes, Death, and Rehospitalization in Older Nursing Home Residents After Acute Myocardial Infarction. JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Feb 01; 177(2):254-262.
- Schmajuk G, Tonner C, Miao Y, Yazdany J, Gannon J, Boscardin WJ, Daikh DI, Steinman MA. Folic Acid Supplementation Is Suboptimal in a National Cohort of Older Veterans Receiving Low Dose Oral Methotrexate. PLoS One. 2016; 11(12):e0168369.
- Sheffrin M, Stijacic Cenzer I, Steinman MA. Desire for predictive testing for Alzheimer's disease and impact on advance care planning: a cross-sectional study. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2016 Dec 13; 8(1):55.
- Zullo AR, Lee Y, Daiello LA, Mor V, John Boscardin W, Dore DD, Miao Y, Fung KZ, Komaiko KDR, Steinman MA. Beta-Blocker Use in U.S. Nursing Home Residents After Myocardial Infarction: A National Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017 Apr; 65(4):754-762.
- Chen P, Steinman MA. Perception of primary care physicians on the impact of comprehensive geriatric assessment: what is the next step? Isr J Health Policy Res. 2016; 5:46.
- Lipska KJ, Yao X, Herrin J, McCoy RG, Ross JS, Steinman MA, Inzucchi SE, Gill TM, Krumholz HM, Shah ND. Trends in Drug Utilization, Glycemic Control, and Rates of Severe Hypoglycemia, 2006-2013. Diabetes Care. 2017 Apr; 40(4):468-475.
- Sarkar U, Lyles C, Steinman M, Huang ES, Moffet HH, Whitmer RA, Warton EM, Karter AJ. Changes in Medication Use After Dementia Diagnosis in an Observational Cohort of Individuals with Diabetes Mellitus. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017 Jan; 65(1):77-82.
- Steinman MA. Polypharmacy-Time to Get Beyond Numbers. JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Apr; 176(4):482-3.
- Newman JC, Steinman MA. Dextromethorphan-Quinidine for Agitation in Alzheimer Disease. JAMA. 2016 Mar 15; 315(11):1166.
- Chang F, O'Hare AM, Miao Y, Steinman MA. Use of Renally Inappropriate Medications in Older Veterans: A National Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Nov; 63(11):2290-7.
- Steinman MA, Beizer JL, DuBeau CE, Laird RD, Lundebjerg NE, Mulhausen P. How to Use the American Geriatrics Society 2015 Beers Criteria-A Guide for Patients, Clinicians, Health Systems, and Payors. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Dec; 63(12):e1-e7.
- Lee SJ, Stijacic-Cenzer I, Barnhart C, McClymont K, Steinman MA. Changing Patterns of Glucose-Lowering Medication Use in VA Nursing Home Residents With Diabetes, 2005 to 2011. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015 Oct 01; 16(10):898.e9-14.
- Sheffrin M, Miao Y, Boscardin WJ, Steinman MA. Weight Loss Associated with Cholinesterase Inhibitors in Individuals with Dementia in a National Healthcare System. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Aug; 63(8):1512-8.
- Cimino T, Steinman MA, Mitchell SL, Miao Y, Bharel M, Barnhart CE, Brown RT. The Course of Functional Impairment in Older Homeless Adults: Disabled on the Street. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Jul; 175(7):1237-9.
- Brown RT, Miao Y, Mitchell SL, Bharel M, Patel M, Ard KL, Grande LJ, Blazey-Martin D, Floru D, Steinman MA. Health Outcomes of Obtaining Housing Among Older Homeless Adults. Am J Public Health. 2015 Jul; 105(7):1482-8.
- Makam AN, Steinman MA. Response to Einhorn and colleagues. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 May; 63(5):1047-8.
- Brown RT, Steinman MA. Case 38-2014: A man with sore throat, hoarseness, fatigue, and dyspnea. N Engl J Med. 2015 Mar 05; 372(10):981-2.
- Lipska KJ, Ross JS, Miao Y, Shah ND, Lee SJ, Steinman MA. Potential overtreatment of diabetes mellitus in older adults with tight glycemic control. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Mar; 175(3):356-62.
- Brown RT, Ahalt C, Steinman MA, Kruger K, Williams BA. Police on the front line of community geriatric health care: challenges and opportunities. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 Nov; 62(11):2191-8.
- Steinman MA, Komaiko KD, Fung KZ, Ritchie CS. Use of opioids and other analgesics by older adults in the United States, 1999-2010. Pain Med. 2015 Feb; 16(2):319-27.
- Schmajuk G, Miao Y, Yazdany J, Boscardin WJ, Daikh DI, Steinman MA. Identification of risk factors for elevated transaminases in methotrexate users through an electronic health record. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2014 Aug; 66(8):1159-66.
- Steinman MA, Miao Y, Boscardin WJ, Komaiko KD, Schwartz JB. Prescribing quality in older veterans: a multifocal approach. J Gen Intern Med. 2014 Oct; 29(10):1379-86.
- Makam AN, Boscardin WJ, Miao Y, Steinman MA. Risk of thiazide-induced metabolic adverse events in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 Jun; 62(6):1039-45.
- Makam AN, Auerbach AD, Steinman MA. Blood culture use in the emergency department in patients hospitalized for community-acquired pneumonia. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 May; 174(5):803-6.
- Makam AN, Auerbach AD, Steinman MA. Blood culture use in the emergency department in patients hospitalized with respiratory symptoms due to a nonpneumonia illness. J Hosp Med. 2014 Aug; 9(8):521-4.
- Moore KL, Boscardin WJ, Steinman MA, Schwartz JB. Patterns of chronic co-morbid medical conditions in older residents of U.S. nursing homes: differences between the sexes and across the agespan. J Nutr Health Aging. 2014 Apr; 18(4):429-36.
- Greene M, Steinman MA, McNicholl IR, Valcour V. Polypharmacy, drug-drug interactions, and potentially inappropriate medications in older adults with human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 Mar; 62(3):447-53.
- Eng JA, Steinman MA. Changing chronic medications in hospitalized patients--bridging the inpatient-outpatient divide. J Hosp Med. 2014 May; 9(5):332-3.
- Koyama A, Steinman M, Ensrud K, Hillier TA, Yaffe K. Long-term cognitive and functional effects of potentially inappropriate medications in older women. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014 Apr; 69(4):423-9.
- Steinman MA, Auerbach AD. Managing chronic disease in hospitalized patients. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Nov 11; 173(20):1857-8.
- Balducci L, Goetz-Parten D, Steinman MA. Polypharmacy and the management of the older cancer patient. Ann Oncol. 2013 Oct; 24 Suppl 7:vii36-40.
- Steinman MA, Dimaano L, Peterson CA, Heidenreich PA, Knight SJ, Fung KZ, Kaboli PJ. Reasons for not prescribing guideline-recommended medications to adults with heart failure. Med Care. 2013 Oct; 51(10):901-7.
- Lam KD, Miao Y, Steinman MA. Cumulative changes in the use of long-term medications: a measure of prescribing complexity. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Sep 09; 173(16):1546-7.
- Brown RT, Steinman MA. Characteristics of emergency department visits by older versus younger homeless adults in the United States. Am J Public Health. 2013 Jun; 103(6):1046-51.
- Higashi RT, Tillack A, Steinman MA, Johnston CB, Harper GM. The 'worthy' patient: rethinking the 'hidden curriculum' in medical education. Anthropol Med. 2013 Apr; 20(1):13-23.
- Steinman MA. Reaching out to patients to identify adverse drug reactions and nonadherence: necessary but not sufficient. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Mar 11; 173(5):375-94.
- Koyama A, Steinman M, Ensrud K, Hillier TA, Yaffe K. Ten-year trajectory of potentially inappropriate medications in very old women: importance of cognitive status. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013 Feb; 61(2):258-63.
- Zhang Y, Steinman MA, Kaplan CM. Geographic variation in outpatient antibiotic prescribing among older adults. Arch Intern Med. 2012 Oct 22; 172(19):1465-71.
- Steinman MA, Lee SJ, John Boscardin W, Miao Y, Fung KZ, Moore KL, Schwartz JB. Patterns of multimorbidity in elderly veterans. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Oct; 60(10):1872-80.
- Lund BC, Charlton ME, Steinman MA, Kaboli PJ. Regional differences in prescribing quality among elder veterans and the impact of rural residence. J Rural Health. 2013; 29(2):172-9.
- Higashi RT, Tillack AA, Steinman M, Harper M, Johnston CB. Elder care as "frustrating" and "boring": understanding the persistence of negative attitudes toward older patients among physicians-in-training. J Aging Stud. 2012 Dec; 26(4):476-83.
- Steinman MA, Sudore RL, Peterson CA, Harlow JB, Fried TR. Influence of patient age and comorbid burden on clinician attitudes toward heart failure guidelines. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2012 Jun; 10(3):211-8.
- Steinman MA, Lee SJ, Peterson CA, Fung KZ, Goldstein MK. A clinically guided approach for improving performance measurement for hypertension. Med Care. 2012 May; 50(5):399-405.
- Moore KL, Boscardin WJ, Steinman MA, Schwartz JB. Age and sex variation in prevalence of chronic medical conditions in older residents of U.S. nursing homes. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Apr; 60(4):756-64.
- Steinman MA, Landefeld CS, Baron RB. Industry support of CME--are we at the tipping point? N Engl J Med. 2012 Mar 22; 366(12):1069-71.
- Lund BC, Steinman MA, Chrischilles EA, Kaboli PJ. Beers criteria as a proxy for inappropriate prescribing of other medications among older adults. Ann Pharmacother. 2011 Nov; 45(11):1363-70.
- Ahalt C, Binswanger IA, Steinman M, Tulsky J, Williams BA. Confined to ignorance: the absence of prisoner information from nationally representative health data sets. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 Feb; 27(2):160-6.
- Steinman MA. Using patients to promote evidence-based prescribing: comment on "Communicating uncertainties about prescription drugs to the public". Arch Intern Med. 2011 Sep 12; 171(16):1468-9.
- Finlayson E, Maselli J, Steinman MA, Rothberg MB, Lindenauer PK, Auerbach AD. Inappropriate medication use in older adults undergoing surgery: a national study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Nov; 59(11):2139-44.
- Steinman MA, Handler SM, Gurwitz JH, Schiff GD, Covinsky KE. Beyond the prescription: medication monitoring and adverse drug events in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Aug; 59(8):1513-20.
- Steinman MA, Harlow JB, Massie BM, Kaboli PJ, Fung KZ, Heidenreich PA. Age and receipt of guideline-recommended medications for heart failure: a nationwide study of veterans. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Oct; 26(10):1152-9.
- Tabas JA, Boscardin C, Jacobsen DM, Steinman MA, Volberding PA, Baron RB. Clinician attitudes about commercial support of continuing medical education: results of a detailed survey. Arch Intern Med. 2011 May 09; 171(9):840-6.
- Steinman MA, Lund BC, Miao Y, Boscardin WJ, Kaboli PJ. Geriatric conditions, medication use, and risk of adverse drug events in a predominantly male, older veteran population. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Apr; 59(4):615-21.
- Steinman MA, Hanlon JT, Sloane RJ, Boscardin WJ, Schmader KE. Do geriatric conditions increase risk of adverse drug reactions in ambulatory elders? Results from the VA GEM Drug Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011 Apr; 66(4):444-51.
- Smith AK, Ayanian JZ, Covinsky KE, Landon BE, McCarthy EP, Wee CC, Steinman MA. Conducting high-value secondary dataset analysis: an introductory guide and resources. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Aug; 26(8):920-9.
- Lee SJ, Steinman MA, Tan EJ. Volunteering, driving status, and mortality in U.S. retirees. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Feb; 59(2):274-80.
- Steinman MA, Patil S, Kamat P, Peterson C, Knight SJ. A taxonomy of reasons for not prescribing guideline-recommended medications for patients with heart failure. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2010 Dec; 8(6):583-94.
- Steinman MA, Hanlon JT. Managing medications in clinically complex elders: "There's got to be a happy medium". JAMA. 2010 Oct 13; 304(14):1592-601.
- Gordon WJ, Polansky JM, Boscardin WJ, Fung KZ, Steinman MA. Coronary risk assessment by point-based vs. equation-based Framingham models: significant implications for clinical care. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Nov; 25(11):1145-51.
- Steinman MA, Goldstein MK. When tight blood pressure control is not for everyone: a new model for performance measurement in hypertension. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2010 Apr; 36(4):164-72.
- Pugh MJ, Vancott AC, Steinman MA, Mortensen EM, Amuan ME, Wang CP, Knoefel JE, Berlowitz DR. Choice of initial antiepileptic drug for older veterans: possible pharmacokinetic drug interactions with existing medications. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010 Mar; 58(3):465-71.
- VanCott AC, Cramer JA, Copeland LA, Zeber JE, Steinman MA, Dersh JJ, Glickman ME, Mortensen EM, Amuan ME, Pugh MJ. Suicide-related behaviors in older patients with new anti-epileptic drug use: data from the VA hospital system. BMC Med. 2010 Jan 11; 8:4.
- Steinman MA, Schillinger D. Drug detailing in academic medical centers: regulating for the right reasons, with the right evidence, at the right time. Am J Bioeth. 2010 Jan; 10(1):21-3.
- Steinman MA, Boscardin CK, Aguayo L, Baron RB. Commercial influence and learner-perceived bias in continuing medical education. Acad Med. 2010 Jan; 85(1):74-9.
- Steinman MA, Yang KY, Byron SC, Maselli JH, Gonzales R. Variation in outpatient antibiotic prescribing in the United States. Am J Manag Care. 2009 Dec; 15(12):861-8.
- Williams BA, Baillargeon JG, Lindquist K, Walter LC, Covinsky KE, Whitson HE, Steinman MA. Medication prescribing practices for older prisoners in the Texas prison system. Am J Public Health. 2010 Apr; 100(4):756-61.
- Steinman MA, Rosenthal GE, Landefeld CS, Bertenthal D, Kaboli PJ. Agreement between drugs-to-avoid criteria and expert assessments of problematic prescribing. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Jul 27; 169(14):1326-32.
- Kwo EC, Kamat P, Steinman MA. Physician use of brand versus generic drug names in 1993-1994 and 2003-2004. Ann Pharmacother. 2009 Mar; 43(3):459-68.
- Landefeld CS, Steinman MA. The Neurontin legacy--marketing through misinformation and manipulation. N Engl J Med. 2009 Jan 08; 360(2):103-6.
- Ranji SR, Steinman MA, Shojania KG, Gonzales R. Interventions to reduce unnecessary antibiotic prescribing: a systematic review and quantitative analysis. Med Care. 2008 Aug; 46(8):847-62.
- Steinman MA. Polypharmacy and the balance of medication benefits and risks. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2007 Dec; 5(4):314-6.
- Steinman MA, Baron RB. Rebuttal: Is CME a drug-promotion tool?: YES. Can Fam Physician. 2007 Nov; 53(11):1877, 1878-9.
- Steinman MA, Baron RB. Is continuing medical education a drug-promotion tool?: YES. Can Fam Physician. 2007 Oct; 53(10):1650-7.
- Steinman MA. Number of medical conditions and quality of care. N Engl J Med. 2007 Sep 27; 357(13):1350-1; author reply 1351.
- O'Hare AM, Choi AI, Bertenthal D, Bacchetti P, Garg AX, Kaufman JS, Walter LC, Mehta KM, Steinman MA, Allon M, McClellan WM, Landefeld CS. Age affects outcomes in chronic kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007 Oct; 18(10):2758-65.
- Steinman MA, Chren MM, Landefeld CS. What's in a name? Use of brand versus generic drug names in United States outpatient practice. J Gen Intern Med. 2007 May; 22(5):645-8.
- Steinman MA, Harper GM, Chren MM, Landefeld CS, Bero LA. Characteristics and impact of drug detailing for gabapentin. PLoS Med. 2007 Apr; 4(4):e134.
- Hyman PL, Hochman ME, Shaw JG, Steinman MA. Attitudes of preclinical and clinical medical students toward interactions with the pharmaceutical industry. Acad Med. 2007 Jan; 82(1):94-9.
- Steinman MA, Rosenthal GE, Landefeld CS, Bertenthal D, Sen S, Kaboli PJ. Conflicts and concordance between measures of medication prescribing quality. Med Care. 2007 Jan; 45(1):95-9.
- Steinman MA, Maaravi Y, Walter LC, Hammerman-Rozenberg R, Stessman J. Evolution of medication use in Jerusalem elders: Results from the Jerusalem Longitudinal Study. Drugs Aging. 2007; 24(2):133-45.
- Steinman MA, Landefeld CS, Rosenthal GE, Berthenthal D, Sen S, Kaboli PJ. Polypharmacy and prescribing quality in older people. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006 Oct; 54(10):1516-23.
- Steinman MA, Bero LA, Chren MM, Landefeld CS. Narrative review: the promotion of gabapentin: an analysis of internal industry documents. Ann Intern Med. 2006 Aug 15; 145(4):284-93.
- Steinman MA, Ranji SR, Shojania KG, Gonzales R. Improving antibiotic selection: a systematic review and quantitative analysis of quality improvement strategies. Med Care. 2006 Jul; 44(7):617-28.
- Steinman MA, McQuaid KR, Covinsky KE. Age and rising rates of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor use. Results from a national survey. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Mar; 21(3):245-50.
- O'Hare AM, Bertenthal D, Covinsky KE, Landefeld CS, Sen S, Mehta K, Steinman MA, Borzecki A, Walter LC. Mortality risk stratification in chronic kidney disease: one size for all ages? J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006 Mar; 17(3):846-53.
- Zipkin DA, Steinman MA. Interactions between pharmaceutical representatives and doctors in training. A thematic review. J Gen Intern Med. 2005 Aug; 20(8):777-86.
- Jha AK, Perlin JB, Steinman MA, Peabody JW, Ayanian JZ. Quality of ambulatory care for women and men in the Veterans Affairs Health Care System. J Gen Intern Med. 2005 Aug; 20(8):762-5.
- Linder JA, Huang ES, Steinman MA, Gonzales R, Stafford RS. Fluoroquinolone prescribing in the United States: 1995 to 2002. Am J Med. 2005 Mar; 118(3):259-68.
- Steinman MA, Fischer MA, Shlipak MG, Bosworth HB, Oddone EZ, Hoffman BB, Goldstein MK. Clinician awareness of adherence to hypertension guidelines. Am J Med. 2004 Nov 15; 117(10):747-54.
- Steinman MA, Sauaia A, Maselli JH, Houck PM, Gonzales R. Office evaluation and treatment of elderly patients with acute bronchitis. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004 Jun; 52(6):875-9.
- Steinman M, Heruti RJ, Goldin D, Livshitz A, Shemesh F, Ohry A. [Our experience with the medical rehabilitation of homeless-disabled people]. Harefuah. 2004 Feb; 143(2):116-20, 166.
- Steinman MA, Gonzales R, Linder JA, Landefeld CS. Changing use of antibiotics in community-based outpatient practice, 1991-1999. Ann Intern Med. 2003 Apr 01; 138(7):525-33.
- Steinman MA, Landefeld CS, Gonzales R. Predictors of broad-spectrum antibiotic prescribing for acute respiratory tract infections in adult primary care. JAMA. 2003 Feb 12; 289(6):719-25.
- Steinman MA, Covinsky KE. Donepezil for nursing home patients with dementia: a reinterpretation of the evidence. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003 Jan; 51(1):132; author reply 132-3.
- Steinman MA. The costs of making practice more cost-effective. JAMA. 2002 Apr 03; 287(13):1648; author reply 1649-50.
- Steinman MA, Landefeld CS. Finding the target: getting started with quality of care and health services research. Qual Manag Health Care. 2002; 10(3):19-24.
- Steinman MA, Sands LP, Covinsky KE. Self-restriction of medications due to cost in seniors without prescription coverage. J Gen Intern Med. 2001 Dec; 16(12):793-9.
- Steinman MA, Shlipak MG, McPhee SJ. Of principles and pens: attitudes and practices of medicine housestaff toward pharmaceutical industry promotions. Am J Med. 2001 May; 110(7):551-7.
- Steinman MA. MSJAMA: gifts to physicians in the consumer marketing era. JAMA. 2000 Nov 01; 284(17):2243.