Stanton Glantz, PhD
530 Parnassus Avenue, Library
San Francisco, CA 94143
RESEARCH INTERESTS: Dr. Glantz, the Truth Initiative Distinguished Professor of Tobacco Control, conducts research on a wide range of topics ranging from the health effects of secondhand smoke (with particular emphasis on the cardiovascular system) to the efficacy of different tobacco control policies. As the tobacco landscape has changed, Dr. Glantz' work has expanded to include e-cigarettes and marijuana, both of which are expanding the tobacco epidemic.
Dr. Glantz conducts research on a wide range of issues ranging from the effects of secondhand smoke on the heart through the reductions in heart attacks observed when smokefree policies are enacted, to how the tobacco industry fights tobacco control programs. His research on the effects of secondhand smoke on blood and blood vessels has helped explain why, in terms of heart disease, the effects of secondhand smoke are nearly as large as smoking. Consistent with what would be expected from the biology of secondhand smoke, he demonstrated a large and rapid reduction in the number of people admitted to the hospital with heart attacks in Helena, Montana, after that community made all workplaces and public places smokefree. His work in this area was identified as one of the "top research advances for 2005" by the American Heart Association. He was one of the first people to argue that controlling youth access to tobacco products was not an effective tobacco control strategy and to identify the importance of young adults (not just teens) as targets for the tobacco industry and efforts at smoking cessation and tobacco use prevention.
He is a globally recognized expert on e-cigarettes and is applying his understanding of the tobacco industry to the emerging marijuana industry as well as the sugar industry.
Dr. Glantz is Principal Investigator for the $20 million 5 year Tobacco Centers of Regulatory Science (TCORS) that was funded in September 2013 as part of a first-of-its-kind tobacco science regulatory program by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the National Institutes of Health. The overarching theme of this Center is the development of improved models to inform tobacco product regulatory strategies that integrate 1) economic impacts of tobacco use on health costs, 2) risk perceptions, perceived acceptability, consumer responses to pro-tobacco marketing and anti-tobacco messages and other social determinants of tobacco use, and 3) rapid changes in risk due to tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure as manifest in cardiovascular and pulmonary dysfunction.
He is author or coauthor of numerous publications related to secondhand smoke and tobacco control, as well as many papers on cardiovascular function and biostatistics. He has written several books, including the widely used Primer of Biostatistics (which has been translated into Japanese, French, Russian, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish, and Primer of Applied Regression and Analysis of Variance). In total, he is the author of 5 books and nearly 400 scientific papers, including the first major review (published in Circulation) which identified involuntary smoking as a cause of heart disease and the landmark July 19, 1995 issue of JAMA on the Brown and Williamson documents, which showed that the tobacco industry knew nicotine was addictive and that smoking caused cancer 40 years ago. This publication was followed up with his book, The Cigarette Papers, which has played a key role in the ongoing litigation surrounding the tobacco industry. His book Tobacco Wars: Inside the California Battles chronicles the last quarter century of battles against the tobacco industry in California. He also wrote Tobacco: Biology and Politics for high school students and The Uninvited Guest, a story about secondhand smoke, for second graders, and Bad Acts, which tells the inside story of the US Department of Justices' massive racketeering lawsuit against the tobacco industry. He ran the successful TobaccoScam project that helped break the historic alliance between the tobacco and hospitality industries. He is now running an educational project, SmokeFreeMovies.ucsf.edu, which is working to end use of movies to promote tobacco.
Working with the UCSF Library, he has taken the lead in making 90 million pages of previously secret tobacco industry documents available to the entire world via the internet through the UCSF Truth Tobacco Industry Documents Library. This effort has help create a whole new area of scientific investigation based on tobacco industry documents.
Dr. Glantz is Director of the UCSF Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education, Co-Leader of the Helen Diller Familiy Comprehensive Cancer Center Tobacco Program and a member of the Cardiovascular Research Institute and Philip R. Lee Instiute for Healh Policy Studies.
He served for 10 years as an Associate Editor of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology and is a member of the California State Scientific Review Panel on Toxic Air Contaminants. He was elected to the National Academy of Medicine (formerly Institute of Medicine) in 2005.
He has traveled widely and lectured on scientific and policy issues related to clean indoor air, smoking in the movies, and effective tobacco control strategies. His work has attracted considerable attention from the tobacco industry, which has sued the University of California (unsuccessfully) twice in an effort to stop Prof. Glantz' work.
Awards and Honors
Luther Terry Distinguished Career in Tobacco Control, American Cancer Society, 2009
Award of Meritorious Achievement, American Heart Association, 2006
Elected to Institute of Medicine, 2005
Joseph Cullen Memorial Award, American Society of Preventive Oncology, 2005
Innovators in Substance Abuse Prevention, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2000-2003
UCSF Chancellor's Award for Public Service, 1997
Alton Ochsner Award of Special Recognition, 1996
James Madison Freedom of Information Award, Society of Professional Journalists, 1996
100 Newsmakers of 1995, Newsweek, 1995
NSF Graduate Fellowship, 1969-1972
Eagle Scout, 1960
Related Web Sites
- Professor Glantz' Blog
- Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education
- Smokefree Movies
- UCSF Truth Tobacco Industry Documents Library
- Tobacco Center of Regulatory Science
- Profile at UCSF Cancer Center
In the News
- Health Care Costs Drop Quickly After Smokers Quit (May 10, 2016)
- California's Tobacco Control Program Generates Huge Health Care Savings (Feb 13, 2013)
- Study: Tea Party Organizations Have Ties To Tobacco Industry Dating Back To 1980s (Feb 08, 2013)
- Cigarette Pack Health Warning Labels in US Lag Behind World (Nov 16, 2012)
- Smoke-Free Laws Lead to Fewer Hospitalizations and Deaths (Nov 06, 2012)
- Smoking in Movies Increases in 2011, Reverses Five Years of Progress (Sep 27, 2012)
- For Smokers, UCSF Program Provides Tools to Ditch the Habit (Jul 27, 2012)
- California Voters to Decide on Increasing Cigarette Tax (May 31, 2012)
- State Economy to Get Big Jolt with Proposed New Tax on Cigarettes, Study Finds (Feb 06, 2012)
- Tobacco Company Misrepresented Danger from Cigarettes, Study Finds (Jan 06, 2012)
- UCSF to Receive Tobacco Papers, Funding to Improve Public Access to the Documents (Dec 13, 2011)
- UCSF, UC Merced to Study Effectiveness of Anti-Tobacco Programs (Sep 07, 2011)
- Taxpayer Film Subsidies Promote Youth Smoking (Aug 23, 2011)
Recent Articles (280)
- van der Eijk Y, Bialous SA, Glantz S. The Tobacco Industry and Children's Rights. Pediatrics. 2018 May; 141(5).
- Egbe CO, Bialous SA, Glantz S. FCTC Implementation in Nigeria: Lessons for Low and Middle-Income Countries. Nicotine Tob Res. 2018 Apr 06.
- Chaffee BW, Watkins SL, Glantz SA. Electronic Cigarette Use and Progression From Experimentation to Established Smoking. Pediatrics. 2018 Apr; 141(4).
- Glantz SA, Gardiner P. Local Movement to Ban Menthol Tobacco Products as a Result of Federal Inaction. JAMA Intern Med. 2018 Mar 05.
- Popova L, Thrul J, Glantz SA. Effects of Large Cigarette Warning Labels on Smokers' Expected Longevity. Am J Health Behav. 2018 Mar 01; 42(2):85-92.
- Orenstein DG, Glantz SA. Regulating Cannabis Manufacturing: Applying Public Health Best Practices from Tobacco Control. J Psychoactive Drugs. 2018 Jan-Mar; 50(1):19-32.
- Kulik MC, Lisha NE, Glantz SA. E-cigarettes Associated With Depressed Smoking Cessation: A Cross-sectional Study of 28 European Union Countries. Am J Prev Med. 2018 Apr; 54(4):603-609.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA, Arrazola RA, King BA. Impact of E-Cigarette Minimum Legal Sale Age Laws on Current Cigarette Smoking. J Adolesc Health. 2018 Feb 03.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA. Thirty-day smoking in adolescence is a strong predictor of smoking in young adulthood. Prev Med. 2018 Apr; 109:17-21.
- Watkins SL, Glantz SA, Chaffee BW. Association of Noncigarette Tobacco Product Use With Future Cigarette Smoking Among Youth in the Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health (PATH) Study, 2013-2015. JAMA Pediatr. 2018 Feb 01; 172(2):181-187.
- Bialous SA, Glantz SA. The Challenges of Monitoring Illicit Trade Should Not Obscure the Success of Tobacco Tax Policy. Am J Public Health. 2018 Feb; 108(2):161-163.
- Jawad M, Lee JT, Glantz S, Millett C. Price elasticity of demand of non-cigarette tobacco products: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Tob Control. 2018 Jan 23.
- Glantz SA, Bareham DW. E-Cigarettes: Use, Effects on Smoking, Risks, and Policy Implications. Annu Rev Public Health. 2018 Apr 01; 39:215-235.
- Glantz SA, Halpern-Felsher B, Springer ML. Marijuana, Secondhand Smoke, and Social Acceptability. JAMA Intern Med. 2018 Jan 01; 178(1):13-14.
- Hiatt RA, Sibley A, Fejerman L, Glantz S, Nguyen T, Pasick R, Palmer N, Perkins A, Potter MB, Somsouk M, Vargas RA, van 't Veer LJ, Ashworth A. The San Francisco Cancer Initiative: A Community Effort To Reduce The Population Burden Of Cancer. Health Aff (Millwood). 2018 Jan; 37(1):54-61.
- van der Eijk Y, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry attempts to frame smoking as a 'disability' under the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act. PLoS One. 2017; 12(11):e0188188.
- Kearns CE, Apollonio D, Glantz SA. Sugar industry sponsorship of germ-free rodent studies linking sucrose to hyperlipidemia and cancer: An historical analysis of internal documents. PLoS Biol. 2017 Nov; 15(11):e2003460.
- Yao T, Max W, Sung HY, Glantz SA, Goldberg RL, Wang JB, Wang Y, Lightwood J, Cataldo J. Relationship between spending on electronic cigarettes, 30-day use, and disease symptoms among current adult cigarette smokers in the U.S. PLoS One. 2017; 12(11):e0187399.
- Velicer C, St Helen G, Glantz SA. Tobacco papers and tobacco industry ties in regulatory toxicology and pharmacology. J Public Health Policy. 2018 Feb; 39(1):34-48.
- van der Eijk Y, McDaniel PA, Glantz SA, Bialous SA. United Nations Global Compact: an 'Inroad' into the UN and reputation boost for the tobacco industry. Tob Control. 2017 Nov 02.
- Kulik MC, Glantz SA. Softening Among U.S. Smokers With Psychological Distress: More Quit Attempts and Lower Consumption as Smoking Drops. Am J Prev Med. 2017 Dec; 53(6):810-817.
- Cho HJ, Dutra LM, Glantz SA. Differences in adolescent e-cigarette and cigarette prevalence in two policy environments: South Korea and the United States. Nicotine Tob Res. 2017 Sep 05.
- Apollonio D, Glantz SA. Tobacco Industry Research on Nicotine Replacement Therapy: "If Anyone Is Going to Take Away Our Business It Should Be Us". Am J Public Health. 2017 Oct; 107(10):1636-1642.
- Uang R, Crosbie E, Glantz SA. Tobacco control law implementation in a middle-income country: Transnational tobacco control network overcoming tobacco industry opposition in Colombia. Glob Public Health. 2017 Aug 17; 1-15.
- Tynan MA, Polansky JR, Titus K, Atayeva R, Glantz SA. Tobacco Use in Top-Grossing Movies - United States, 2010-2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017 Jul 07; 66(26):681-686.
- Egbe CO, Bialous SA, Glantz SA. Avoiding "A Massive Spin-Off Effect in West Africa and Beyond": The Tobacco Industry Stymies Tobacco Control in Nigeria. Nicotine Tob Res. 2017 Jul 01; 19(7):877-887.
- Russo AR, Solis AC, Villanti AC, Wipfli HL, Kern TT, Lawley RK, Collins LK, Abudayyeh HS, Chansky MC, Glantz SA, Samet JM, Benjamin EJ. Mentoring for Success in Tobacco Regulatory Science: A Qualitative Study. Tob Regul Sci. 2017 Jul; 3(3):280-292.
- Glantz SA, Rutherford JD. Here Comes Trouble: A Career as a Tobacco Control Activist. Circulation. 2017 Jun 06; 135(23):2214-2217.
- Dutra L, Glantz S. We Agree on the Importance of Contextual and Temporal Accuracy When Studying Novel Tobacco Products. Pediatrics. 2017 05; 139(5).
- Crosbie E, Sosa P, Glantz SA. Defending strong tobacco packaging and labelling regulations in Uruguay: transnational tobacco control network versus Philip Morris International. Tob Control. 2018 Mar; 27(2):185-194.
- Uang R, Crosbie E, Glantz SA. Smokefree implementation in Colombia: Monitoring, outside funding, and business support. Salud Publica Mex. 2017 Mar-Apr; 59(2):128-136.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA, Lisha NE, Song AV. Beyond experimentation: Five trajectories of cigarette smoking in a longitudinal sample of youth. PLoS One. 2017; 12(2):e0171808.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA. E-cigarettes and National Adolescent Cigarette Use: 2004-2014. Pediatrics. 2017 Feb; 139(2).
- Fallin-Bennett A, Roditis M, Glantz SA. The carrot and the stick? Strategies to improve compliance with college campus tobacco policies. J Am Coll Health. 2017 Feb-Mar; 65(2):122-130.
- Dutra LM, Grana R, Glantz SA. Philip Morris research on precursors to the modern e-cigarette since 1990. Tob Control. 2017 Dec; 26(e2):e97-e105.
- Kearns CE, Schmidt LA, Glantz SA. Sugar Industry and Coronary Heart Disease Research: A Historical Analysis of Internal Industry Documents. JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Nov 01; 176(11):1680-1685.
- Glantz SA. Need for Examination of Broader Range of Risks When Predicting the Effects of New Tobacco Products. Nicotine Tob Res. 2017 Feb; 19(2):266-267.
- Barry RA, Glantz S. A Public Health Framework for Legalized Retail Marijuana Based on the US Experience: Avoiding a New Tobacco Industry. PLoS Med. 2016 Sep; 13(9):e1002131.
- Cox E, Barry RA, Glantz S. E-cigarette Policymaking by Local and State Governments: 2009-2014. Milbank Q. 2016 09; 94(3):520-96.
- Lempert LK, Yerger V, Glantz SA. Letter by Lempert et al Regarding Article, "Menthol and Nonmenthol Cigarette Smoking: All-Cause Deaths, Cardiovascular Disease Deaths, and Other Causes of Death Among Blacks and Whites". Circulation. 2016 Aug 30; 134(9):e119-20.
- Hopkinson NS, Millett C, Glantz S, Arnott D, McNeill A. UK government should fund stop smoking media campaigns not give tax breaks to films with smoking imagery. Addiction. 2016 Nov; 111(11):2066-2067.
- Hiilamo H, Glantz S. FCTC followed by accelerated implementation of tobacco advertising bans. Tob Control. 2017 Jul; 26(4):428-433.
- Wang X, Derakhshandeh R, Liu J, Narayan S, Nabavizadeh P, Le S, Danforth OM, Pinnamaneni K, Rodriguez HJ, Luu E, Sievers RE, Schick SF, Glantz SA, Springer ML. One Minute of Marijuana Secondhand Smoke Exposure Substantially Impairs Vascular Endothelial Function. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016 Jul 27; 5(8).
- Yeh JS, Bullen C, Glantz SA. CLINICAL DECISIONS. E-Cigarettes and Smoking Cessation. N Engl J Med. 2016 Jun 02; 374(22):2172-4.
- Lempert LK, Glantz S. Packaging colour research by tobacco companies: the pack as a product characteristic. Tob Control. 2017 05; 26(3):307-315.
- Neeley EE, Glantz SA. RJ Reynolds has not published a negative randomised clinical trial of Camel Snus for smoking cessation. Tob Control. 2017 05; 26(3):357-358.
- Apollonio DE, Glantz SA. Minimum Ages of Legal Access for Tobacco in the United States From 1863 to 2015. Am J Public Health. 2016 Jul; 106(7):1200-7.
- Lightwood J, Glantz SA. Smoking Behavior and Healthcare Expenditure in the United States, 1992-2009: Panel Data Estimates. PLoS Med. 2016 05; 13(5):e1002020.
- Lempert LK, Glantz SA. Implications of Tobacco Industry Research on Packaging Colors for Designing Health Warning Labels. Nicotine Tob Res. 2016 09; 18(9):1910-4.
- Kalkhoran S, Glantz SA. E-cigarettes and smoking cessation - Authors' reply. Lancet Respir Med. 2016 06; 4(6):e26-7.
- Gendall P, Hoek J, Edwards R, Glantz S. Effect of Exposure to Smoking in Movies on Young Adult Smoking in New Zealand. PLoS One. 2016; 11(3):e0148692.
- Crosbie E, Sosa P, Glantz SA. The importance of continued engagement during the implementation phase of tobacco control policies in a middle-income country: the case of Costa Rica. Tob Control. 2017 01; 26(1):60-68.
- Kalkhoran S, Glantz SA. E-cigarettes and smoking cessation in real-world and clinical settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Respir Med. 2016 Feb; 4(2):116-28.
- Crosbie E, Sosa P, Glantz SA. Costa Rica's implementation of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control: Overcoming decades of industry dominance. Salud Publica Mex. 2016 Jan-Feb; 58(1):62-70.
- Liu J, Wang X, Narayan S, Glantz SA, Schick SF, Springer ML. Impairment of Endothelial Function by Little Cigar Secondhand Smoke. Tob Regul Sci. 2016 Jan 01; 2(1):56-63.
- Velicer C, Glantz SA. Hiding in the Shadows: Philip Morris and the Use of Third Parties to Oppose Ingredient Disclosure Regulations. PLoS One. 2015; 10(12):e0142032.
- Cheng KW, Liu F, Gonzalez M, Glantz S. The Effects of Workplace Clean Indoor Air Law Coverage on Workers' Smoking-Related Outcomes. Health Econ. 2017 Feb; 26(2):226-242.
- Uang R, Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Accelerated Adoption of Smoke-Free Laws After Ratification of the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Am J Public Health. 2016 Jan; 106(1):166-71.
- Popova L, Linde BD, Bursac Z, Talcott GW, Modayil MV, Little MA, Ling PM, Glantz SA, Klesges RC. Testing antismoking messages for Air Force trainees. Tob Control. 2016 11; 25(6):656-663.
- Kalkhoran S, Glantz SA. Modeling the Health Effects of Expanding e-Cigarette Sales in the United States and United Kingdom: A Monte Carlo Analysis. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Oct; 175(10):1671-80.
- Song AV, Dutra LM, Neilands TB, Glantz SA. Association of Smoke-Free Laws With Lower Percentages of New and Current Smokers Among Adolescents and Young Adults: An 11-Year Longitudinal Study. JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Sep; 169(9):e152285.
- Dixit S, Pletcher MJ, Vittinghoff E, Imburgia K, Maguire C, Whitman IR, Glantz SA, Olgin JE, Marcus GM. Secondhand smoke and atrial fibrillation: Data from the Health eHeart Study. Heart Rhythm. 2016 Jan; 13(1):3-9.
- Fulmer EB, Neilands TB, Dube SR, Kuiper NM, Arrazola RA, Glantz SA. Protobacco Media Exposure and Youth Susceptibility to Smoking Cigarettes, Cigarette Experimentation, and Current Tobacco Use among US Youth. PLoS One. 2015; 10(8):e0134734.
- Velicer C, Aguinaga-Bialous S, Glantz S. Tobacco companies' efforts to undermine ingredient disclosure: the Massachusetts benchmark study. Tob Control. 2016 09; 25(5):575-83.
- Kulik MC, Glantz SA. The smoking population in the USA and EU is softening not hardening. Tob Control. 2016 07; 25(4):470-5.
- Fallin A, Glantz SA. Tobacco-control policies in tobacco-growing states: where tobacco was king. Milbank Q. 2015 Jun; 93(2):319-58.
- Kalkhoran S, Sebrié EM, Sandoya E, Glantz SA. Effect of Uruguay's National 100% Smokefree Law on Emergency Visits for Bronchospasm. Am J Prev Med. 2015 Jul; 49(1):85-8.
- Stevens D, Glantz S. Tobacco documents reveal questionable professional recertification by industry menthol expert. Tob Control. 2016 May; 25(3):364.
- Kearns CE, Glantz SA, Schmidt LA. Sugar industry influence on the scientific agenda of the National Institute of Dental Research's 1971 National Caries Program: a historical analysis of internal documents. PLoS Med. 2015 Mar; 12(3):e1001798.
- Grana R, Benowitz N, Glantz S. Response to letter regarding article, "Electronic cigarettes: a scientific review". Circulation. 2015 Feb 10; 131(6):e342.
- Song AV, Glantz SA. Assessing tobacco regulation: moving beyond economists. Tob Control. 2015 Mar; 24(2):123-4.
- Benowitz NL, Gan Q, Goniewicz ML, Lu W, Xu J, Li X, Jacob P, Glantz S. Different profiles of carcinogen exposure in Chinese compared with US cigarette smokers. Tob Control. 2015 Dec; 24(e4):e258-63.
- Fallin A, Roditis M, Glantz SA. Association of campus tobacco policies with secondhand smoke exposure, intention to smoke on campus, and attitudes about outdoor smoking restrictions. Am J Public Health. 2015 Jun; 105(6):1098-100.
- Lempert LK, Grana R, Glantz SA. The importance of product definitions in US e-cigarette laws and regulations. Tob Control. 2016 Apr; 25(e1):e44-51.
- McKee M, Chapman S, Daube M, Glantz S. The debate on electronic cigarettes. Lancet. 2014 Dec 13; 384(9960):2107.
- Roditis ML, Wang D, Glantz SA, Fallin A. Evaluating California campus tobacco policies using the American College Health Association guidelines and the Institutional Grammar Tool. J Am Coll Health. 2015; 63(1):57-67.
- Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Implementation of effective cigarette health warning labels among low and middle income countries: state capacity, path-dependency and tobacco industry activity. Soc Sci Med. 2015 Jan; 124:241-5.
- Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Old wine in new bottles: tobacco industry's submission to European Commission tobacco product directive public consultation. Health Policy. 2015 Jan; 119(1):57-65.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA. High international electronic cigarette use among never smoker adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2014 Nov; 55(5):595-7.
- Kostygina G, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Tobacco industry use of flavours to recruit new users of little cigars and cigarillos. Tob Control. 2016 Jan; 25(1):66-74.
- Yao T, Jiang N, Grana R, Ling PM, Glantz SA. A content analysis of electronic cigarette manufacturer websites in China. Tob Control. 2016 Mar; 25(2):188-94.
- Crosbie E, Gonzalez M, Glantz SA. Crosbie et Al. Respond. Am J Public Health. 2014 Dec; 104(12):e5.
- Mamudu HM, Dadkar S, Veeranki SP, He Y, Barnes R, Glantz SA. Multiple streams approach to tobacco control policymaking in a tobacco-growing state. J Community Health. 2014 Aug; 39(4):633-45.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA. Youth tobacco use and electronic cigarettes--reply. JAMA Pediatr. 2014 Aug; 168(8):776-7.
- Crosbie E, Gonzalez M, Glantz SA. Health preemption behind closed doors: trade agreements and fast-track authority. Am J Public Health. 2014 Sep; 104(9):e7-e13.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA. Electronic cigarettes and conventional cigarette use among U.S. adolescents: a cross-sectional study. JAMA Pediatr. 2014 Jul; 168(7):610-7.
- Sankaran S, Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Implementation of graphic health warning labels on tobacco products in India: the interplay between the cigarette and the bidi industries. Tob Control. 2015 Nov; 24(6):547-55.
- Velicer C, Lempert LK, Glantz S. Cigarette company trade secrets are not secret: an analysis of reverse engineering reports in internal tobacco industry documents released as a result of litigation. Tob Control. 2015 Sep; 24(5):469-80.
- Barry RA, Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Waiting for the opportune moment: the tobacco industry and marijuana legalization. Milbank Q. 2014 Jun; 92(2):207-42.
- Grana R, Benowitz N, Glantz SA. E-cigarettes: a scientific review. Circulation. 2014 May 13; 129(19):1972-86.
- Grana RA, Ling PM, Benowitz N, Glantz S. Electronic cigarettes. Cardiology patient page. Circulation. 2014 May 13; 129(19):e490-2.
- Kalkhoran S, Glantz SA. Smoke-free policies: cleaning the air with money to spare. Lancet. 2014 May 03; 383(9928):1526-8.
- Laposata E, Kennedy AP, Glantz SA. When tobacco targets direct democracy. J Health Polit Policy Law. 2014 Jun; 39(3):537-64.
- Gonzalez M, Sanders-Jackson A, Glantz SA. Association of strong smoke-free laws with dentists' advice to quit smoking, 2006-2007. Am J Public Health. 2014 Apr; 104(4):e88-94.
- Ling PM, Lee YO, Hong J, Neilands TB, Jordan JW, Glantz SA. Social branding to decrease smoking among young adults in bars. Am J Public Health. 2014 Apr; 104(4):751-60.
- Brown-Johnson CG, England LJ, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Tobacco industry marketing to low socioeconomic status women in the U.S.A. Tob Control. 2014 Nov; 23(e2):e139-46.
- Glantz SA, Johnson KC. The surgeon general report on smoking and health 50 years later: breast cancer and the cost of increasing caution. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2014 Jan; 23(1):37-46.
- Song AV, Brown P, Glantz SA. When health policy and empirical evidence collide: the case of cigarette package warning labels and economic consumer surplus. Am J Public Health. 2014 Feb; 104(2):e42-51.
- Pinnamaneni K, Sievers RE, Sharma R, Selchau AM, Gutierrez G, Nordsieck EJ, Su R, An S, Chen Q, Wang X, Derakhshandeh R, Aschbacher K, Heiss C, Glantz SA, Schick SF, Springer ML. Brief exposure to secondhand smoke reversibly impairs endothelial vasodilatory function. Nicotine Tob Res. 2014 May; 16(5):584-90.
- Nazar GP, Lee JT, Glantz SA, Arora M, Pearce N, Millett C. Association between being employed in a smoke-free workplace and living in a smoke-free home: evidence from 15 low and middle income countries. Prev Med. 2014 Feb; 59:47-53.
- Lee S, Grana RA, Glantz SA. Electronic cigarette use among Korean adolescents: a cross-sectional study of market penetration, dual use, and relationship to quit attempts and former smoking. J Adolesc Health. 2014 Jun; 54(6):684-90.
- Apollonio DE, Glantz SA, Bero LA. Term limits and the tobacco industry. Soc Sci Med. 2014 Mar; 104:1-5.
- Cheng KW, Okechukwu CA, McMillen R, Glantz SA. Association between clean indoor air laws and voluntary smokefree rules in homes and cars. Tob Control. 2015 Mar; 24(2):168-74.
- Sanders-Jackson AN, Song AV, Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Effect of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and voluntary industry health warning labels on passage of mandated cigarette warning labels from 1965 to 2012: transition probability and event history analyses. Am J Public Health. 2013 Nov; 103(11):2041-7.
- Glantz SA, Gibbs E. Changes in ambulance calls after implementation of a smoke-free law and its extension to casinos. Circulation. 2013 Aug 20; 128(8):811-3.
- Polansky J, Glantz S. Debate over tobacco and film ratings should be evidence-based. N Z Med J. 2013 Jul 12; 126(1378):88.
- Basu S, Glantz S, Bitton A, Millett C. The effect of tobacco control measures during a period of rising cardiovascular disease risk in India: a mathematical model of myocardial infarction and stroke. PLoS Med. 2013; 10(7):e1001480.
- Glantz SA. Israel is failing to protect its citizens from secondhand smoke: underestimating public support. Isr J Health Policy Res. 2013 Jun 27; 2(1):24.
- Sanders-Jackson A, Gonzalez M, Zerbe B, Song AV, Glantz SA. The pattern of indoor smoking restriction law transitions, 1970-2009: laws are sticky. Am J Public Health. 2013 Aug; 103(8):e44-51.
- Tan CE, Kyriss T, Glantz SA. Tobacco company efforts to influence the Food and Drug Administration-commissioned Institute of Medicine report clearing the smoke: an analysis of documents released through litigation. PLoS Med. 2013; 10(5):e1001450.
- Sebrié EM, Sandoya E, Bianco E, Hyland A, Cummings KM, Glantz SA. Hospital admissions for acute myocardial infarction before and after implementation of a comprehensive smoke-free policy in Uruguay: experience through 2010. Tob Control. 2014 Nov; 23(6):471-2.
- Sterling K, Berg CJ, Thomas AN, Glantz SA, Ahluwalia JS. Factors associated with small cigar use among college students. Am J Health Behav. 2013 May; 37(3):325-33.
- Lee JT, Agrawal S, Basu S, Glantz SA, Millett C. Association between smoke-free workplace and second-hand smoke exposure at home in India. Tob Control. 2014 Jul; 23(4):308-12.
- Gonzalez M, Sanders-Jackson A, Song AV, Cheng KW, Glantz SA. Strong smoke-free law coverage in the United States by race/ethnicity: 2000-2009. Am J Public Health. 2013 May; 103(5):e62-6.
- Lightwood J, Glantz SA. The effect of the California tobacco control program on smoking prevalence, cigarette consumption, and healthcare costs: 1989-2008. PLoS One. 2013; 8(2):e47145.
- Fallin A, Grana R, Glantz SA. 'To quarterback behind the scenes, third-party efforts': the tobacco industry and the Tea Party. Tob Control. 2014 Jul; 23(4):322-31.
- Millett C, Lee JT, Laverty AA, Glantz SA, Majeed A. Hospital admissions for childhood asthma after smoke-free legislation in England. Pediatrics. 2013 Feb; 131(2):e495-501.
- Glantz SA. Slaying the Jabberwock: the link between strong smokefree policies and drops in acute myocardial infarctions survives the funnel plot. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Sep 30; 168(2):1534.
- Crosbie E, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry argues domestic trademark laws and international treaties preclude cigarette health warning labels, despite consistent legal advice that the argument is invalid. Tob Control. 2014 May; 23(3):e7.
- Laposata E, Barnes R, Glantz S. Tobacco Industry Influence on the American Law Institute's Restatements of Torts and Implications for Its Conflict of Interest Policies. Iowa Law Rev. 2012 Nov; 98(1):1-68.
- Tan CE, Glantz SA. Association between smoke-free legislation and hospitalizations for cardiac, cerebrovascular, and respiratory diseases: a meta-analysis. Circulation. 2012 Oct 30; 126(18):2177-83.
- Hiilamo H, Crosbie E, Glantz SA. The evolution of health warning labels on cigarette packs: the role of precedents, and tobacco industry strategies to block diffusion. Tob Control. 2014 Jan; 23(1):e2.
- Tan CE, Glantz SA. SMOKEFREE AIR: AN IMPORTANT STRATEGY TO REDUCING HEART ATTACKS AROUND THE WORLD. Glob Heart. 2012 Jul; 7(2):189-191.
- Frey PF, Ganz P, Hsue PY, Benowitz NL, Glantz SA, Balmes JR, Schick SF. The exposure-dependent effects of aged secondhand smoke on endothelial function. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012 May 22; 59(21):1908-13.
- Sebrié EM, Schoj V, Travers MJ, McGaw B, Glantz SA. Smokefree policies in Latin America and the Caribbean: making progress. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2012 05; 9(5):1954-70.
- Schane RE, Prochaska JJ, Glantz SA. Counseling nondaily smokers about secondhand smoke as a cessation message: a pilot randomized trial. Nicotine Tob Res. 2013 Feb; 15(2):334-42.
- Lee S, Glantz SA. South Korea: 'KT&G Sangsang Univ.' employs education for marketing. Tob Control. 2012 Jul; 21(4):445-6.
- Kennedy A, Sullivan S, Hendlin Y, Barnes R, Glantz S. Strong tobacco control program requirements and secure funding are not enough: lessons from Florida. Am J Public Health. 2012 May; 102(5):807-17.
- Glantz SA. Pinocchio shows how to end the tobacco epidemic. Tob Control. 2012 Mar; 21(2):296-7; discussion 297-8.
- Lee S, Ling PM, Glantz SA. The vector of the tobacco epidemic: tobacco industry practices in low and middle-income countries. Cancer Causes Control. 2012 Mar; 23 Suppl 1:117-29.
- Sebrié EM, Sandoya E, Hyland A, Bianco E, Glantz SA, Cummings KM. Hospital admissions for acute myocardial infarction before and after implementation of a comprehensive smoke-free policy in Uruguay. Tob Control. 2013 May; 22(e1):e16-20.
- Glantz SA, Iaccopucci A, Titus K, Polansky JR. Smoking in top-grossing US movies, 2011. Prev Chronic Dis. 2012; 9:120170.
- Crosbie E, Sebrié EM, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry success in Costa Rica: the importance of FCTC article 5.3. Salud Publica Mex. 2012 Jan-Feb; 54(1):28-38.
- Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Local Nordic tobacco interests collaborated with multinational companies to maintain a united front and undermine tobacco control policies. Tob Control. 2013 Mar; 22(2):154-64.
- Gonzalez M, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Planting trees without leaving home: tobacco company direct-to-consumer CSR efforts. Tob Control. 2012 May; 21(3):363-5.
- Wertz MS, Kyriss T, Paranjape S, Glantz SA. The toxic effects of cigarette additives. Philip Morris' project mix reconsidered: an analysis of documents released through litigation. PLoS Med. 2011 Dec; 8(12):e1001145.
- Millett C, Hanewinkel R, Britton J, Florek E, Faggiano F, Ness A, McKee M, Polansky JR, Glantz SA. European governments should stop subsidizing films with tobacco imagery. Eur J Public Health. 2012 Apr; 22(2):167-8.
- Arnott D, Berteletti F, Britton J, Cardone A, Clancy L, Craig L, Fong GT, Glantz SA, Joossens L, Rudolphie MT, Rutgers MR, Smith SC, Stam H, West R, Willemsen MC. Can the Dutch Government really be abandoning smokers to their fate? Lancet. 2012 Jan 14; 379(9811):121-2.
- Gonzalez M, Glantz SA. Failure of policy regarding smoke-free bars in the Netherlands. Eur J Public Health. 2013 Feb; 23(1):139-45.
- Cheng KW, Glantz SA, Lightwood JM. Association between smokefree laws and voluntary smokefree-home rules. Am J Prev Med. 2011 Dec; 41(6):566-72.
- Weeks SG, Glantz SA, De Marco T, Rosen AB, Fleischmann KE. Secondhand smoke exposure and quality of life in patients with heart failure. Arch Intern Med. 2011 Nov 28; 171(21):1887-93.
- Prochaska JJ, Benowitz NL, Glantz SA, Hudmon KS, Grossman W. Cardiology Rx for Change: improving clinical attention to tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure in cardiology. Clin Cardiol. 2011 Dec; 34(12):738-43.
- Basu S, Stuckler D, Bitton A, Glantz SA. Projected effects of tobacco smoking on worldwide tuberculosis control: mathematical modelling analysis. BMJ. 2011 Oct 04; 343:d5506.
- Glantz S, Gonzalez M. Effective tobacco control is key to rapid progress in reduction of non-communicable diseases. Lancet. 2012 Mar 31; 379(9822):1269-71.
- Glantz SA, Polansky JR. Movies with smoking make less money. Tob Control. 2012 Nov; 21(6):569-71.
- Mamudu HM, Gonzalez M, Glantz S. The nature, scope, and development of the global tobacco control epistemic community. Am J Public Health. 2011 Nov; 101(11):2044-54.
- Millett C, Polansky JR, Glantz SA. Government inaction on ratings and government subsidies to the US film industry help promote youth smoking. PLoS Med. 2011 Aug; 8(8):e1001077.
- Lee JT, Glantz SA, Millett C. Effect of smoke-free legislation on adult smoking behaviour in England in the 18 months following implementation. PLoS One. 2011; 6(6):e20933.
- Grana RA, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Electronic nicotine delivery systems in the hands of Hollywood. Tob Control. 2011 Nov; 20(6):425-6.
- Gonzalez M, Green LW, Glantz SA. Through tobacco industry eyes: civil society and the FCTC process from Philip Morris and British American Tobacco's perspectives. Tob Control. 2012 Jul; 21(4):e1.
- Salgado MV, Glantz SA. Direct disease-inducing effects of menthol through the eyes of tobacco companies. Tob Control. 2011 May; 20 Suppl 2:ii44-8.
- Lee YO, Glantz SA. Menthol: putting the pieces together. Tob Control. 2011 May; 20 Suppl 2:ii1-7.
- Otañez M, Glantz SA. Social responsibility in tobacco production? Tobacco companies' use of green supply chains to obscure the real costs of tobacco farming. Tob Control. 2011 Nov; 20(6):403-11.
- Millett C, Lee JT, Gibbons DC, Glantz SA. Increasing the age for the legal purchase of tobacco in England: impacts on socio-economic disparities in youth smoking. Thorax. 2011 Oct; 66(10):862-5.
- Glantz SA, Ling PM. Misleading conclusions from Altria researchers about population health effects of dual use. Nicotine Tob Res. 2011 Apr; 13(4):296; author reply 297.
- Chu A, Jiang N, Glantz SA. Transnational tobacco industry promotion of the cigarette gifting custom in China. Tob Control. 2011 Jul; 20(4):e3.
- Lightwood J, Glantz S. Effect of the Arizona tobacco control program on cigarette consumption and healthcare expenditures. Soc Sci Med. 2011 Jan; 72(2):166-72.
- Crosbie E, Sebrié EM, Glantz SA. Strong advocacy led to successful implementation of smokefree Mexico City. Tob Control. 2011 Jan; 20(1):64-72.
- Gan Q, Glantz SA. Relationship between the Chinese tobacco industry and academic institutions in China. Tob Control. 2011 Jan; 20(1):12-9.
- Mamudu HM, Hammond R, Glantz SA. International trade versus public health during the FCTC negotiations, 1999-2003. Tob Control. 2011 Jan; 20(1):e3.
- Sullivan S, Glantz SA. Local smoke-free ordinances are passing in tobacco-growing states. Am J Public Health. 2010 Nov; 100(11):2013-4; author reply 2014.
- Sullivan S, Glantz S. The changing role of agriculture in tobacco control policymaking: a South Carolina case study. Soc Sci Med. 2010 Oct; 71(8):1527-34.
- Heiss C, Jahn S, Taylor M, Real WM, Angeli FS, Wong ML, Amabile N, Prasad M, Rassaf T, Ottaviani JI, Mihardja S, Keen CL, Springer ML, Boyle A, Grossman W, Glantz SA, Schroeter H, Yeghiazarians Y. Improvement of endothelial function with dietary flavanols is associated with mobilization of circulating angiogenic cells in patients with coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Jul 13; 56(3):218-24.
- Glantz SA. Commentary on Hanewinkel et al. (2010): Anti-smoking advertisments vaccinate movie viewers against effects of on-screen smoking. Addiction. 2010 Jul; 105(7):1278-9.
- Mejia AB, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Quantifying the effects of promoting smokeless tobacco as a harm reduction strategy in the USA. Tob Control. 2010 Aug; 19(4):297-305.
- Hendlin Y, Anderson SJ, Glantz SA. 'Acceptable rebellion': marketing hipster aesthetics to sell Camel cigarettes in the US. Tob Control. 2010 Jun; 19(3):213-22.
- Gan Q, Lu W, Xu J, Li X, Goniewicz M, Benowitz NL, Glantz SA. Chinese 'low-tar' cigarettes do not deliver lower levels of nicotine and carcinogens. Tob Control. 2010 Oct; 19(5):374-9.
- Millett C, Glantz SA. Assigning an '18' rating to movies with tobacco imagery is essential to reduce youth smoking. Thorax. 2010 May; 65(5):377-8.
- Cataldo JK, Glantz SA. Smoking cessation and Alzheimer's disease: facts, fallacies and promise. Expert Rev Neurother. 2010 May; 10(5):629-31.
- Schane RE, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Health effects of light and intermittent smoking: a review. Circulation. 2010 Apr 06; 121(13):1518-22.
- Shmueli D, Prochaska JJ, Glantz SA. Effect of smoking scenes in films on immediate smoking: a randomized controlled study. Am J Prev Med. 2010 Apr; 38(4):351-8.
- Anderson SJ, Millett C, Polansky JR, Glantz SA. Exposure to smoking in movies among British adolescents 2001-2006. Tob Control. 2010 Jun; 19(3):197-200.
- Stanton CR, Chu A, Collin J, Glantz SA. Promoting tobacco through the international language of dance music: British American Tobacco and the Ministry of Sound. Eur J Public Health. 2011 Feb; 21(1):21-8.
- Sebrié EM, Blanco A, Glantz SA. Cigarette labeling policies in Latin America and the Caribbean: progress and obstacles. Salud Publica Mex. 2010; 52 Suppl 2:S233-43.
- Cataldo JK, Prochaska JJ, Glantz SA. Cigarette smoking is a risk factor for Alzheimer's Disease: an analysis controlling for tobacco industry affiliation. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010; 19(2):465-80.
- Sebrié EM, Glantz SA. Local smoke-free policy development in Santa Fe, Argentina. Tob Control. 2010 Apr; 19(2):110-6.
- Gan Q, Yang J, Yang G, Goniewicz M, Benowitz NL, Glantz SA. Chinese "herbal" cigarettes are as carcinogenic and addictive as regular cigarettes. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Dec; 18(12):3497-501.
- Schane RE, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Nondaily and social smoking: an increasingly prevalent pattern. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Oct 26; 169(19):1742-4.
- Lightwood JM, Glantz SA. Declines in acute myocardial infarction after smoke-free laws and individual risk attributable to secondhand smoke. Circulation. 2009 Oct 06; 120(14):1373-9.
- Otañez MG, Mamudu HM, Glantz SA. Tobacco companies' use of developing countries' economic reliance on tobacco to lobby against global tobacco control: the case of Malawi. Am J Public Health. 2009 Oct; 99(10):1759-71.
- Schane RE, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Social smoking implications for public health, clinical practice, and intervention research. Am J Prev Med. 2009 Aug; 37(2):124-31.
- Glantz SA, Barnes R, Eubanks SY. Compromise or capitulation? US Food and Drug Administration jurisdiction over tobacco products. PLoS Med. 2009 Jul; 6(7):e1000118.
- Song AV, Glantz SA, Halpern-Felsher BL. Perceptions of second-hand smoke risks predict future adolescent smoking initiation. J Adolesc Health. 2009 Dec; 45(6):618-25.
- Angeli FS, Shapiro M, Amabile N, Orcino G, Smith CS, Tacy T, Boyle AJ, Chatterjee K, Glantz SA, Grossman W, Yeghiazarians Y. Left ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction: characterization of a swine model on beta-blocker therapy. Comp Med. 2009 Jun; 59(3):272-9.
- Glantz SA. Limited linkages between secondhand smoke discovery and delivery: more a speed bump than a gap. Am J Prev Med. 2009 Jun; 36(6):555-6.
- Otañez MG, Glantz SA. Trafficking in tobacco farm culture: Tobacco companies use of video imagery to undermine health policy. Vis Anthropol Rev. 2009 May 01; 25(1):1-24.
- Dinno A, Glantz S. Tobacco control policies are egalitarian: a vulnerabilities perspective on clean indoor air laws, cigarette prices, and tobacco use disparities. Soc Sci Med. 2009 Apr; 68(8):1439-47.
- Ling PM, Neilands TB, Glantz SA. Young adult smoking behavior: a national survey. Am J Prev Med. 2009 May; 36(5):389-394.e2.
- Tung GJ, Hendlin YH, Glantz SA. Competing initiatives: a new tobacco industry strategy to oppose statewide clean indoor air ballot measures. Am J Public Health. 2009 Mar; 99(3):430-9.
- Landman A, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry efforts to undermine policy-relevant research. Am J Public Health. 2009 Jan; 99(1):45-58.
- Mamudu HM, Hammond R, Glantz S. Tobacco industry attempts to counter the World Bank report Curbing the Epidemic and obstruct the WHO framework convention on tobacco control. Soc Sci Med. 2008 Dec; 67(11):1690-9.
- Schane RE, Glantz SA. Education on the dangers of passive smoking: a cessation strategy past due. Circulation. 2008 Oct 07; 118(15):1521-3.
- Schneider NK, Glantz SA. "Nicotine Nazis strike again": a brief analysis of the use of Nazi rhetoric in attacking tobacco control advocacy. Tob Control. 2008 Oct; 17(5):291-6.
- Lightwood JM, Dinno A, Glantz SA. Effect of the California tobacco control program on personal health care expenditures. PLoS Med. 2008 Aug 26; 5(8):e178.
- Song AV, Glantz SA. Pushing secondhand smoke and the tobacco industry outside the social norm to reduce adolescent smoking. J Adolesc Health. 2008 Oct; 43(4):315-7.
- Mamudu HM, Hammond R, Glantz SA. Project Cerberus: tobacco industry strategy to create an alternative to the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Am J Public Health. 2008 Sep; 98(9):1630-42.
- Glantz SA. Meta-analysis of the effects of smokefree laws on acute myocardial infarction: an update. Prev Med. 2008 Oct; 47(4):452-3.
- Heiss C, Amabile N, Lee AC, Real WM, Schick SF, Lao D, Wong ML, Jahn S, Angeli FS, Minasi P, Springer ML, Hammond SK, Glantz SA, Grossman W, Balmes JR, Yeghiazarians Y. Brief secondhand smoke exposure depresses endothelial progenitor cells activity and endothelial function: sustained vascular injury and blunted nitric oxide production. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008 May 06; 51(18):1760-71.
- Alamar BC, Glantz SA. Externalities in the Workplace: A Response to a Rejoinder to a Response to a Response to a Paper. Econ J Watch. 2008 May 01; 5(2):169-173.
- Slinker BK, Glantz SA. Multiple linear regression: accounting for multiple simultaneous determinants of a continuous dependent variable. Circulation. 2008 Apr 01; 117(13):1732-7.
- Landman A, Cortese DK, Glantz S. Tobacco industry sociological programs to influence public beliefs about smoking. Soc Sci Med. 2008 Feb; 66(4):970-81.
- Sebrié EM, Schoj V, Glantz SA. Smokefree environments in Latin America: on the road to real change? Prev Control. 2008 Jan 01; 3(1):21-35.
- Song AV, Ling PM, Neilands TB, Glantz SA. Smoking in movies and increased smoking among young adults. Am J Prev Med. 2007 Nov; 33(5):396-403.
- Tong EK, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry efforts undermining evidence linking secondhand smoke with cardiovascular disease. Circulation. 2007 Oct 16; 116(16):1845-54.
- Sebrié EM, Glantz SA. "Accommodating" smoke-free policies: tobacco industry's Courtesy of Choice programme in Latin America. Tob Control. 2007 Oct; 16(5):e6.
- Barnes RL, Glantz SA. Endotoxins in tobacco smoke: shifting tobacco industry positions. Nicotine Tob Res. 2007 Oct; 9(10):995-1004.
- Schick SF, Glantz S. Concentrations of the carcinogen 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone in sidestream cigarette smoke increase after release into indoor air: results from unpublished tobacco industry research. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Aug; 16(8):1547-53.
- Otañez MG, Mamudu H, Glantz SA. Global leaf companies control the tobacco market in Malawi. Tob Control. 2007 Aug; 16(4):261-9.
- Anderson SJ, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Implications of the federal court order banning the terms "light" and "mild": what difference could it make? Tob Control. 2007 Aug; 16(4):275-9.
- Sebrié EM, Glantz SA. Attempts to undermine tobacco control: tobacco industry "youth smoking prevention" programs to undermine meaningful tobacco control in Latin America. Am J Public Health. 2007 Aug; 97(8):1357-67.
- Alamar B, Glantz SA. Effect of smoke-free laws on bar value and profits. Am J Public Health. 2007 Aug; 97(8):1400-2.
- Ling PM, Neilands TB, Glantz SA. The effect of support for action against the tobacco industry on smoking among young adults. Am J Public Health. 2007 Aug; 97(8):1449-56.
- Ibrahim JK, Glantz SA. The rise and fall of tobacco control media campaigns, 1967 2006. Am J Public Health. 2007 Aug; 97(8):1383-96.
- Schick SF, Glantz SA. Old ways, new means: tobacco industry funding of academic and private sector scientists since the Master Settlement Agreement. Tob Control. 2007 Jun; 16(3):157-64.
- John RM, Glantz SA. It is time to make smokefree environments work in India. Indian J Med Res. 2007 May; 125(5):599-603.
- Dinno A, Glantz S. Clean indoor air laws immediately reduce heart attacks. Prev Med. 2007 Jul; 45(1):9-11.
- Chen A, Glantz S, Tong E. Asian herbal-tobacco cigarettes: "not medicine but less harmful"? Tob Control. 2007 Apr; 16(2):e3.
- Glantz SA. Commentary: Assessing the effects of the Scottish Smokefree Law--the placebo effect and the importance of obtaining unbiased data. Int J Epidemiol. 2007 Feb; 36(1):155-6.
- Schick SF, Schick S, Glantz SA. Sidestream cigarette smoke toxicity increases with aging and exposure duration. Tob Control. 2006 Dec; 15(6):424-9.
- Torrijos RM, Glantz SA. The US Public Health Service "treating tobacco use and dependence clinical practice guidelines" as a legal standard of care. Tob Control. 2006 Dec; 15(6):447-51.
- Barnes RL, Hammond SK, Glantz SA. The tobacco industry's role in the 16 Cities Study of secondhand tobacco smoke: do the data support the stated conclusions? Environ Health Perspect. 2006 Dec; 114(12):1890-7.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Cardiovascular effects of second-hand smoke help explain the benefits of smoke-free legislation on heart disease burden. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2006 Nov-Dec; 21(6):457-62.
- Healton CG, Watson-Stryker ES, Allen JA, Vallone DM, Messeri PA, Graham PR, Stewart AM, Dobbins MD, Glantz SA. Televised movie trailers: undermining restrictions on advertising tobacco to youth. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006 Sep; 160(9):885-8.
- Mandel LL, Bialous SA, Glantz SA. Avoiding "truth": tobacco industry promotion of life skills training. J Adolesc Health. 2006 Dec; 39(6):868-79.
- Alamar B, Glantz SA. Effect of increased social unacceptability of cigarette smoking on reduction in cigarette consumption. Am J Public Health. 2006 Aug; 96(8):1359-63.
- Alamar B, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry profits from smoking images in the movies. Pediatrics. 2006 Apr; 117(4):1462.
- Alamar B, Glantz SA. Modeling Addictive Consumption as an Infectious Disease. Contrib Econ Analysis Policy. 2006 Mar 17; 5(1):1-22.
- Sebrié E, Glantz SA. The tobacco industry in developing countries. BMJ. 2006 Feb 11; 332(7537):313-4.
- Glantz SA, Polansky J. Smoking in movies. Chest. 2006 Feb; 129(2):495; author reply 495-6.
- Ibrahim JK, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry litigation strategies to oppose tobacco control media campaigns. Tob Control. 2006 Feb; 15(1):50-8.
- Charlesworth A, Glantz SA. Tobacco and the movie industry. Clin Occup Environ Med. 2006; 5(1):73-84, ix.
- Glantz FK, Glantz SA. Protecting Europeans from secondhand smoke: time to act. Eur Heart J. 2006 Feb; 27(4):382-3.
- Charlesworth A, Glantz SA. Smoking in the movies increases adolescent smoking: a review. Pediatrics. 2005 Dec; 116(6):1516-28.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. The tobacco industry's worldwide ETS consultants project: European and Asian components. Eur J Public Health. 2006 Feb; 16(1):69-77.
- Schick S, Glantz S. Scientific analysis of second-hand smoke by the tobacco industry, 1929-1972. Nicotine Tob Res. 2005 Aug; 7(4):591-612.
- Barnoya J, Bialous SA, Glantz SA. Effective interventions to reduce smoking-induced heart disease around the world: time to act. Circulation. 2005 Jul 26; 112(4):456-8.
- Cook DM, Tong EK, Glantz SA, Bero LA. The power of paperwork: how Philip Morris neutralized the medical code for secondhand smoke. Health Aff (Millwood). 2005 Jul-Aug; 24(4):994-1004.
- Ong MK, Glantz SA. Free nicotine replacement therapy programs vs implementing smoke-free workplaces: a cost-effectiveness comparison. Am J Public Health. 2005 Jun; 95(6):969-75.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Cardiovascular effects of secondhand smoke: nearly as large as smoking. Circulation. 2005 May 24; 111(20):2684-98.
- Glantz SA. Tobacco money at the University of California. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005 May 15; 171(10):1067-9.
- Tong EK, England L, Glantz SA. Changing conclusions on secondhand smoke in a sudden infant death syndrome review funded by the tobacco industry. Pediatrics. 2005 Mar; 115(3):e356-66.
- Glantz SA, Mandel LL. Since school-based tobacco prevention programs do not work, what should we do? J Adolesc Health. 2005 Mar; 36(3):157-9.
- Bitton A, Neuman MD, Barnoya J, Glantz SA. The p53 tumour suppressor gene and the tobacco industry: research, debate, and conflict of interest. Lancet. 2005 Feb 5-11; 365(9458):531-40.
- S. Glantz. Primer of Biostatistics (6 ed). 2005.
- Kunyk D, Freeman B, Glantz S. Health conventions in smoke free places have positive economic impact. BMJ. 2004 Dec 04; 329(7478):1346.
- Alamar BC, Glantz SA. SMOKE-FREE ORDINANCES INCREASE RESTAURANT PROFIT AND VALUE. Contemp Econ Policy. 2004 Oct; 22(4):520-525.
- Barnoya J, Glantz S. Association of the California tobacco control program with declines in lung cancer incidence. Cancer Causes Control. 2004 Sep; 15(7):689-95.
- Ong MK, Glantz SA. Cardiovascular health and economic effects of smoke-free workplaces. Am J Med. 2004 Jul 01; 117(1):32-8.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Modifiable behavioral factors as causes of death. JAMA. 2004 Jun 23; 291(24):2941-2; author reply 2942-3.
- Ling PM, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry research on smoking cessation. Recapturing young adults and other recent quitters. J Gen Intern Med. 2004 May; 19(5 Pt 1):419-26.
- Sargent RP, Shepard RM, Glantz SA. Reduced incidence of admissions for myocardial infarction associated with public smoking ban: before and after study. BMJ. 2004 Apr 24; 328(7446):977-80.
- Glantz SA, Kacirk KW, McCulloch C. Back to the future: Smoking in movies in 2002 compared with 1950 levels. Am J Public Health. 2004 Feb; 94(2):261-3.
- Barnoya J, Glantz S. Secondhand smoke and cardiologists: the missing link. Int J Cardiol. 2004 Feb; 93(2-3):331; author reply 333.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Secondhand smoke: the evidence of danger keeps growing. Am J Med. 2004 Feb 01; 116(3):201-2.
- Givel M, Glantz SA. The "global settlement" with the tobacco industry: 6 years later. Am J Public Health. 2004 Feb; 94(2):218-24.
- Glantz SA. Effect of viewing smoking in movies on adolescent smoking initiation: a cohor study. J Pediatr. 2004 Jan; 144(1):137-8.
- Zhu BQ, Heeschen C, Sievers RE, Karliner JS, Parmley WW, Glantz SA, Cooke JP. Second hand smoke stimulates tumor angiogenesis and growth. Cancer Cell. 2003 Sep; 4(3):191-6.
- Tsoukalas T, Glantz SA. The Duluth clean indoor air ordinance: problems and success in fighting the tobacco industry at the local level in the 21st century. Am J Public Health. 2003 Aug; 93(8):1214-21.
- Glantz SA. Smoking in movies: a major problem and a real solution. Lancet. 2003 Jul 26; 362(9380):258-9.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. The tobacco industry and secondhand smoke: lessons from Central and South America. Ethn Dis. 2003; 13(2 Suppl 2):S88-90.
- Barnoya J, Glantz S. Knowledge and use of tobacco among Guatemalan physicians. Cancer Causes Control. 2002 Nov; 13(9):879-81.
- Glantz SA. Limiting youth access to tobacco: a failed intervention. J Adolesc Health. 2002 Oct; 31(4):301-2.
- Fichtenberg CM, Glantz SA. Effect of smoke-free workplaces on smoking behaviour: systematic review. BMJ. 2002 Jul 27; 325(7357):188.
- Ling PM, Glantz SA. Using tobacco-industry marketing research to design more effective tobacco-control campaigns. JAMA. 2002 Jun 12; 287(22):2983-9.
- Ling PM, Glantz SA. Nicotine addiction, young adults, and smoke-free bars. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2002 Jun; 21(2):101-4.
- Landman A, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry youth smoking prevention programs: protecting the industry and hurting tobacco control. Am J Public Health. 2002 Jun; 92(6):917-30.
- Ling PM, Glantz SA. Why and how the tobacco industry sells cigarettes to young adults: evidence from industry documents. Am J Public Health. 2002 Jun; 92(6):908-16.
- Fichtenberg CM, Glantz SA. Youth access interventions do not affect youth smoking. Pediatrics. 2002 Jun; 109(6):1088-92.
- Neuman M, Bitton A, Glantz S. Tobacco industry strategies for influencing European Community tobacco advertising legislation. Lancet. 2002 Apr 13; 359(9314):1323-30.
- Glantz SA. Air pollution as a cause of heart disease. Time for action. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002 Mar 20; 39(6):943-5.
- Sepe E, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Smooth moves: bar and nightclub tobacco promotions that target young adults. Am J Public Health. 2002 Mar; 92(3):414-9.
- Zhu BQ, Sievers RE, Browne AE, Hillman RT, Chair K, Lee RJ, Chatterjee K, Glantz SA, Parmley WW. The renin-angiotensin system does not contribute to the endothelial dysfunction and increased infarct size in rats exposed to second hand smoke. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst. 2002 Mar; 3(1):54-60.
- Dearlove JV, Glantz SA. Boards of Health as venues for clean indoor air policy making. Am J Public Health. 2002 Feb; 92(2):257-65.
- Givel MS, Glantz SA. State tobacco settlement funds not being spent on vigorous tobacco control efforts. Oncology (Williston Park). 2002 Feb; 16(2):152, 155-7.
- Sepe E, Glantz SA. Bar and club tobacco promotions in the alternative press: targeting young adults. Am J Public Health. 2002 Jan; 92(1):75-8.
- Glantz SA. Rate movies with smoking "R". Eff Clin Pract. 2002 Jan-Feb; 5(1):31-4.
- S. Glantz, B. Slinker. Primer of Applied Regression and Analysis of Variance (2 ed). 2000.
- S. Glantz, E. Balbach. Tobacco War: Inside the California Battles. 2000.
- S. Glantz, J. Slade, L. Bero, P. Hanauer, D. Barnes. The Cigarette Papers. 1996.
- S. Glantz. Mathematics for Biomedical Applications. 1979.