Stanton Glantz, PhD
530 Parnassus Avenue, Library
San Francisco, CA 94143
RESEARCH INTERESTS: Dr. Glantz, the Truth Initiative Distinguished Professor of Tobacco Control, conducts research on a wide range of topics ranging from the health effects of secondhand smoke (with particular emphasis on the cardiovascular system) to the efficacy of different tobacco control policies. As the tobacco landscape has changed, Dr. Glantz' work has expanded to include e-cigarettes and marijuana, both of which are expanding the tobacco epidemic.
Dr. Glantz conducts research on a wide range of issues ranging from the effects of secondhand smoke on the heart through the reductions in heart attacks observed when smokefree policies are enacted, to how the tobacco industry fights tobacco control programs. His research on the effects of secondhand smoke on blood and blood vessels has helped explain why, in terms of heart disease, the effects of secondhand smoke are nearly as large as smoking. Consistent with what would be expected from the biology of secondhand smoke, he demonstrated a large and rapid reduction in the number of people admitted to the hospital with heart attacks in Helena, Montana, after that community made all workplaces and public places smokefree. His work in this area was identified as one of the "top research advances for 2005" by the American Heart Association. He was one of the first people to argue that controlling youth access to tobacco products was not an effective tobacco control strategy and to identify the importance of young adults (not just teens) as targets for the tobacco industry and efforts at smoking cessation and tobacco use prevention.
He is a globally recognized expert on e-cigarettes and is applying his understanding of the tobacco industry to the emerging marijuana industry as well as the sugar industry.
Dr. Glantz is Principal Investigator for the $20 million 5 year Tobacco Centers of Regulatory Science (TCORS) that was funded in September 2013 as part of a first-of-its-kind tobacco science regulatory program by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the National Institutes of Health. The overarching theme of this Center is the development of improved models to inform tobacco product regulatory strategies that integrate 1) economic impacts of tobacco use on health costs, 2) risk perceptions, perceived acceptability, consumer responses to pro-tobacco marketing and anti-tobacco messages and other social determinants of tobacco use, and 3) rapid changes in risk due to tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure as manifest in cardiovascular and pulmonary dysfunction.
He is author or coauthor of numerous publications related to secondhand smoke and tobacco control, as well as many papers on cardiovascular function and biostatistics. He has written several books, including the widely used Primer of Biostatistics (which has been translated into Japanese, French, Russian, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish, and Primer of Applied Regression and Analysis of Variance). In total, he is the author of 5 books and nearly 400 scientific papers, including the first major review (published in Circulation) which identified involuntary smoking as a cause of heart disease and the landmark July 19, 1995 issue of JAMA on the Brown and Williamson documents, which showed that the tobacco industry knew nicotine was addictive and that smoking caused cancer 40 years ago. This publication was followed up with his book, The Cigarette Papers, which has played a key role in the ongoing litigation surrounding the tobacco industry. His book Tobacco Wars: Inside the California Battles chronicles the last quarter century of battles against the tobacco industry in California. He also wrote Tobacco: Biology and Politics for high school students and The Uninvited Guest, a story about secondhand smoke, for second graders, and Bad Acts, which tells the inside story of the US Department of Justices' massive racketeering lawsuit against the tobacco industry. He ran the successful TobaccoScam project that helped break the historic alliance between the tobacco and hospitality industries. He is now running an educational project, SmokeFreeMovies.ucsf.edu, which is working to end use of movies to promote tobacco.
Working with the UCSF Library, he has taken the lead in making 90 million pages of previously secret tobacco industry documents available to the entire world via the internet through the UCSF Truth Tobacco Industry Documents Library. This effort has help create a whole new area of scientific investigation based on tobacco industry documents.
Dr. Glantz is Director of the UCSF Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education, Co-Leader of the Helen Diller Familiy Comprehensive Cancer Center Tobacco Program and a member of the Cardiovascular Research Institute and Philip R. Lee Instiute for Healh Policy Studies.
He served for 10 years as an Associate Editor of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology and is a member of the California State Scientific Review Panel on Toxic Air Contaminants. He was elected to the National Academy of Medicine (formerly Institute of Medicine) in 2005.
He has traveled widely and lectured on scientific and policy issues related to clean indoor air, smoking in the movies, and effective tobacco control strategies. His work has attracted considerable attention from the tobacco industry, which has sued the University of California (unsuccessfully) twice in an effort to stop Prof. Glantz' work.
Awards and Honors
Luther Terry Distinguished Career in Tobacco Control, American Cancer Society, 2009
Award of Meritorious Achievement, American Heart Association, 2006
Elected to Institute of Medicine, 2005
Joseph Cullen Memorial Award, American Society of Preventive Oncology, 2005
Innovators in Substance Abuse Prevention, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2000-2003
UCSF Chancellor's Award for Public Service, 1997
James Madison Freedom of Information Award, Society of Professional Journalists, 1996
Alton Ochsner Award of Special Recognition, 1996
100 Newsmakers of 1995, Newsweek, 1995
NSF Graduate Fellowship, 1969-1972
Eagle Scout, 1960
Related Web Sites
- Professor Glantz' Blog
- Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education
- Smokefree Movies
- UCSF Truth Tobacco Industry Documents Library
- Tobacco Center of Regulatory Science
- Profile at UCSF Cancer Center
In the News
- Health Care Costs Drop Quickly After Smokers Quit (May 10, 2016)
- California's Tobacco Control Program Generates Huge Health Care Savings (Feb 13, 2013)
- Study: Tea Party Organizations Have Ties To Tobacco Industry Dating Back To 1980s (Feb 08, 2013)
- Cigarette Pack Health Warning Labels in US Lag Behind World (Nov 16, 2012)
- Smoke-Free Laws Lead to Fewer Hospitalizations and Deaths (Nov 06, 2012)
- Smoking in Movies Increases in 2011, Reverses Five Years of Progress (Sep 27, 2012)
- For Smokers, UCSF Program Provides Tools to Ditch the Habit (Jul 27, 2012)
- California Voters to Decide on Increasing Cigarette Tax (May 31, 2012)
- State Economy to Get Big Jolt with Proposed New Tax on Cigarettes, Study Finds (Feb 06, 2012)
- Tobacco Company Misrepresented Danger from Cigarettes, Study Finds (Jan 06, 2012)
- UCSF to Receive Tobacco Papers, Funding to Improve Public Access to the Documents (Dec 13, 2011)
- UCSF, UC Merced to Study Effectiveness of Anti-Tobacco Programs (Sep 07, 2011)
- Taxpayer Film Subsidies Promote Youth Smoking (Aug 23, 2011)
Recent Articles (457)
- Yao T, Max W, Sung HY, Glantz SA, Goldberg RL, Wang JB, Wang Y, Lightwood J, Cataldo J. Relationship between spending on electronic cigarettes, 30-day use, and disease symptoms among current adult cigarette smokers in the U.S. PLoS One. 2017; 12(11):e0187399.
- Kulik MC, Glantz SA. Softening Among U.S. Smokers With Psychological Distress: More Quit Attempts and Lower Consumption as Smoking Drops. Am J Prev Med. 2017 Sep 27.
- Apollonio D, Glantz SA. Tobacco Industry Research on Nicotine Replacement Therapy: "If Anyone Is Going to Take Away Our Business It Should Be Us". Am J Public Health. 2017 Oct; 107(10):1636-1642.
- Uang R, Crosbie E, Glantz SA. Tobacco control law implementation in a middle-income country: Transnational tobacco control network overcoming tobacco industry opposition in Colombia. Glob Public Health. 2017 Aug 17; 1-15.
- Tynan MA, Polansky JR, Titus K, Atayeva R, Glantz SA. Tobacco Use in Top-Grossing Movies - United States, 2010-2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017 Jul 07; 66(26):681-686.
- Egbe CO, Bialous SA, Glantz SA. Avoiding "A Massive Spin-Off Effect in West Africa and Beyond": The Tobacco Industry Stymies Tobacco Control in Nigeria. Nicotine Tob Res. 2017 Jul 01; 19(7):877-887.
- Russo AR, Solis AC, Villanti AC, Wipfli HL, Kern TT, Lawley RK, Collins LK, Abudayyeh HS, Chansky MC, Glantz SA, Samet JM, Benjamin EJ. Mentoring for Success in Tobacco Regulatory Science: A Qualitative Study. Tob Regul Sci. 2017 Jul; 3(3):280-292.
- Glantz SA, Rutherford JD. Here Comes Trouble: A Career as a Tobacco Control Activist. Circulation. 2017 Jun 06; 135(23):2214-2217.
- Dutra L, Glantz S. We Agree on the Importance of Contextual and Temporal Accuracy When Studying Novel Tobacco Products. Pediatrics. 2017 May; 139(5).
- Jiang N, Gonzalez M, Ling PM, Young-Wolff KC, Glantz SA. Smoke-Free Laws and Hazardous Drinking: A Cross-Sectional Study among U.S. Adults. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017 Apr 13; 14(4).
- Crosbie E, Sosa P, Glantz SA. Defending strong tobacco packaging and labelling regulations in Uruguay: transnational tobacco control network versus Philip Morris International. Tob Control. 2017 Mar 23.
- Uang R, Crosbie E, Glantz SA. Smokefree implementation in Colombia: Monitoring, outside funding, and business support. Salud Publica Mex. 2017 Mar-Apr; 59(2):128-136.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA, Lisha NE, Song AV. Beyond experimentation: Five trajectories of cigarette smoking in a longitudinal sample of youth. PLoS One. 2017; 12(2):e0171808.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA. E-cigarettes and National Adolescent Cigarette Use: 2004-2014. Pediatrics. 2017 Feb; 139(2).
- Fallin-Bennett A, Roditis M, Glantz SA. The carrot and the stick? Strategies to improve compliance with college campus tobacco policies. J Am Coll Health. 2017 Feb-Mar; 65(2):122-130.
- Dutra LM, Grana R, Glantz SA. Philip Morris research on precursors to the modern e-cigarette since 1990. Tob Control. 2016 Nov 15.
- Kearns CE, Schmidt LA, Glantz SA. Sugar Industry and Coronary Heart Disease Research: A Historical Analysis of Internal Industry Documents. JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Nov 01; 176(11):1680-1685.
- Glantz SA. Need for Examination of Broader Range of Risks When Predicting the Effects of New Tobacco Products. Nicotine Tob Res. 2017 Feb; 19(2):266-267.
- Barry RA, Glantz S. A Public Health Framework for Legalized Retail Marijuana Based on the US Experience: Avoiding a New Tobacco Industry. PLoS Med. 2016 Sep; 13(9):e1002131.
- Cox E, Barry RA, Glantz S. E-cigarette Policymaking by Local and State Governments: 2009-2014. Milbank Q. 2016 09; 94(3):520-96.
- Lempert LK, Yerger V, Glantz SA. Letter by Lempert et al Regarding Article, "Menthol and Nonmenthol Cigarette Smoking: All-Cause Deaths, Cardiovascular Disease Deaths, and Other Causes of Death Among Blacks and Whites". Circulation. 2016 Aug 30; 134(9):e119-20.
- Hopkinson NS, Millett C, Glantz S, Arnott D, McNeill A. UK government should fund stop smoking media campaigns not give tax breaks to films with smoking imagery. Addiction. 2016 Nov; 111(11):2066-2067.
- Hiilamo H, Glantz S. FCTC followed by accelerated implementation of tobacco advertising bans. Tob Control. 2017 Jul; 26(4):428-433.
- Wang X, Derakhshandeh R, Liu J, Narayan S, Nabavizadeh P, Le S, Danforth OM, Pinnamaneni K, Rodriguez HJ, Luu E, Sievers RE, Schick SF, Glantz SA, Springer ML. One Minute of Marijuana Secondhand Smoke Exposure Substantially Impairs Vascular Endothelial Function. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016 Jul 27; 5(8).
- Yeh JS, Bullen C, Glantz SA. CLINICAL DECISIONS. E-Cigarettes and Smoking Cessation. N Engl J Med. 2016 Jun 02; 374(22):2172-4.
- Lempert LK, Glantz S. Packaging colour research by tobacco companies: the pack as a product characteristic. Tob Control. 2017 May; 26(3):307-315.
- Neeley EE, Glantz SA. RJ Reynolds has not published a negative randomised clinical trial of Camel Snus for smoking cessation. Tob Control. 2017 May; 26(3):357-358.
- Apollonio DE, Glantz SA. Minimum Ages of Legal Access for Tobacco in the United States From 1863 to 2015. Am J Public Health. 2016 Jul; 106(7):1200-7.
- Lightwood J, Glantz SA. Smoking Behavior and Healthcare Expenditure in the United States, 1992-2009: Panel Data Estimates. PLoS Med. 2016 May; 13(5):e1002020.
- Lempert LK, Glantz SA. Implications of Tobacco Industry Research on Packaging Colors for Designing Health Warning Labels. Nicotine Tob Res. 2016 Sep; 18(9):1910-4.
- Kalkhoran S, Glantz SA. E-cigarettes and smoking cessation - Authors' reply. Lancet Respir Med. 2016 Jun; 4(6):e26-7.
- Gendall P, Hoek J, Edwards R, Glantz S. Effect of Exposure to Smoking in Movies on Young Adult Smoking in New Zealand. PLoS One. 2016; 11(3):e0148692.
- Crosbie E, Sosa P, Glantz SA. The importance of continued engagement during the implementation phase of tobacco control policies in a middle-income country: the case of Costa Rica. Tob Control. 2017 Jan; 26(1):60-68.
- Kalkhoran S, Glantz SA. E-cigarettes and smoking cessation in real-world and clinical settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Respir Med. 2016 Feb; 4(2):116-28.
- Crosbie E, Sosa P, Glantz SA. Costa Rica's implementation of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control: Overcoming decades of industry dominance. Salud Publica Mex. 2016 Jan-Feb; 58(1):62-70.
- Liu J, Wang X, Narayan S, Glantz SA, Schick SF, Springer ML. Impairment of Endothelial Function by Little Cigar Secondhand Smoke. Tob Regul Sci. 2016 Jan 01; 2(1):56-63.
- Velicer C, Glantz SA. Hiding in the Shadows: Philip Morris and the Use of Third Parties to Oppose Ingredient Disclosure Regulations. PLoS One. 2015; 10(12):e0142032.
- Cheng KW, Liu F, Gonzalez M, Glantz S. The Effects of Workplace Clean Indoor Air Law Coverage on Workers' Smoking-Related Outcomes. Health Econ. 2017 Feb; 26(2):226-242.
- Uang R, Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Accelerated Adoption of Smoke-Free Laws After Ratification of the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Am J Public Health. 2016 Jan; 106(1):166-71.
- Popova L, Linde BD, Bursac Z, Talcott GW, Modayil MV, Little MA, Ling PM, Glantz SA, Klesges RC. Testing antismoking messages for Air Force trainees. Tob Control. 2016 Nov; 25(6):656-663.
- Jiang N, Gonzalez M, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Relationship of Smokefree Laws and Alcohol Use with Light and Intermittent Smoking and Quit Attempts among US Adults and Alcohol Users. PLoS One. 2015; 10(10):e0137023.
- Kalkhoran S, Glantz SA. Modeling the Health Effects of Expanding e-Cigarette Sales in the United States and United Kingdom: A Monte Carlo Analysis. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Oct; 175(10):1671-80.
- Song AV, Dutra LM, Neilands TB, Glantz SA. Association of Smoke-Free Laws With Lower Percentages of New and Current Smokers Among Adolescents and Young Adults: An 11-Year Longitudinal Study. JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Sep; 169(9):e152285.
- Dixit S, Pletcher MJ, Vittinghoff E, Imburgia K, Maguire C, Whitman IR, Glantz SA, Olgin JE, Marcus GM. Secondhand smoke and atrial fibrillation: Data from the Health eHeart Study. Heart Rhythm. 2016 Jan; 13(1):3-9.
- Fulmer EB, Neilands TB, Dube SR, Kuiper NM, Arrazola RA, Glantz SA. Protobacco Media Exposure and Youth Susceptibility to Smoking Cigarettes, Cigarette Experimentation, and Current Tobacco Use among US Youth. PLoS One. 2015; 10(8):e0134734.
- Velicer C, Aguinaga-Bialous S, Glantz S. Tobacco companies' efforts to undermine ingredient disclosure: the Massachusetts benchmark study. Tob Control. 2016 Sep; 25(5):575-83.
- Kulik MC, Glantz SA. The smoking population in the USA and EU is softening not hardening. Tob Control. 2016 Jul; 25(4):470-5.
- Fallin A, Glantz SA. Tobacco-control policies in tobacco-growing states: where tobacco was king. Milbank Q. 2015 Jun; 93(2):319-58.
- Kalkhoran S, Sebrié EM, Sandoya E, Glantz SA. Effect of Uruguay's National 100% Smokefree Law on Emergency Visits for Bronchospasm. Am J Prev Med. 2015 Jul; 49(1):85-8.
- Stevens D, Glantz S. Tobacco documents reveal questionable professional recertification by industry menthol expert. Tob Control. 2016 May; 25(3):364.
- Kearns CE, Glantz SA, Schmidt LA. Sugar industry influence on the scientific agenda of the National Institute of Dental Research's 1971 National Caries Program: a historical analysis of internal documents. PLoS Med. 2015 Mar; 12(3):e1001798.
- Grana R, Benowitz N, Glantz S. Response to letter regarding article, "Electronic cigarettes: a scientific review". Circulation. 2015 Feb 10; 131(6):e342.
- Song AV, Glantz SA. Assessing tobacco regulation: moving beyond economists. Tob Control. 2015 Mar; 24(2):123-4.
- Benowitz NL, Gan Q, Goniewicz ML, Lu W, Xu J, Li X, Jacob P, Glantz S. Different profiles of carcinogen exposure in Chinese compared with US cigarette smokers. Tob Control. 2015 Dec; 24(e4):e258-63.
- Fallin A, Roditis M, Glantz SA. Association of campus tobacco policies with secondhand smoke exposure, intention to smoke on campus, and attitudes about outdoor smoking restrictions. Am J Public Health. 2015 Jun; 105(6):1098-100.
- Lempert LK, Grana R, Glantz SA. The importance of product definitions in US e-cigarette laws and regulations. Tob Control. 2016 Apr; 25(e1):e44-51.
- McKee M, Chapman S, Daube M, Glantz S. The debate on electronic cigarettes. Lancet. 2014 Dec 13; 384(9960):2107.
- Roditis ML, Wang D, Glantz SA, Fallin A. Evaluating California campus tobacco policies using the American College Health Association guidelines and the Institutional Grammar Tool. J Am Coll Health. 2015; 63(1):57-67.
- Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Implementation of effective cigarette health warning labels among low and middle income countries: state capacity, path-dependency and tobacco industry activity. Soc Sci Med. 2015 Jan; 124:241-5.
- Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Old wine in new bottles: tobacco industry's submission to European Commission tobacco product directive public consultation. Health Policy. 2015 Jan; 119(1):57-65.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA. High international electronic cigarette use among never smoker adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2014 Nov; 55(5):595-7.
- Kostygina G, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Tobacco industry use of flavours to recruit new users of little cigars and cigarillos. Tob Control. 2016 Jan; 25(1):66-74.
- Yao T, Jiang N, Grana R, Ling PM, Glantz SA. A content analysis of electronic cigarette manufacturer websites in China. Tob Control. 2016 Mar; 25(2):188-94.
- Crosbie E, Gonzalez M, Glantz SA. Crosbie et Al. Respond. Am J Public Health. 2014 Dec; 104(12):e5.
- Mamudu HM, Dadkar S, Veeranki SP, He Y, Barnes R, Glantz SA. Multiple streams approach to tobacco control policymaking in a tobacco-growing state. J Community Health. 2014 Aug; 39(4):633-45.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA. Youth tobacco use and electronic cigarettes--reply. JAMA Pediatr. 2014 Aug; 168(8):776-7.
- Crosbie E, Gonzalez M, Glantz SA. Health preemption behind closed doors: trade agreements and fast-track authority. Am J Public Health. 2014 Sep; 104(9):e7-e13.
- Dutra LM, Glantz SA. Electronic cigarettes and conventional cigarette use among U.S. adolescents: a cross-sectional study. JAMA Pediatr. 2014 Jul; 168(7):610-7.
- Sankaran S, Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Implementation of graphic health warning labels on tobacco products in India: the interplay between the cigarette and the bidi industries. Tob Control. 2015 Nov; 24(6):547-55.
- Velicer C, Lempert LK, Glantz S. Cigarette company trade secrets are not secret: an analysis of reverse engineering reports in internal tobacco industry documents released as a result of litigation. Tob Control. 2015 Sep; 24(5):469-80.
- Barry RA, Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Waiting for the opportune moment: the tobacco industry and marijuana legalization. Milbank Q. 2014 Jun; 92(2):207-42.
- Grana RA, Ling PM, Benowitz N, Glantz S. Electronic cigarettes. Cardiology patient page. Circulation. 2014 May 13; 129(19):e490-2.
- Grana R, Benowitz N, Glantz SA. E-cigarettes: a scientific review. Circulation. 2014 May 13; 129(19):1972-86.
- Kalkhoran S, Glantz SA. Smoke-free policies: cleaning the air with money to spare. Lancet. 2014 May 03; 383(9928):1526-8.
- Laposata E, Kennedy AP, Glantz SA. When tobacco targets direct democracy. J Health Polit Policy Law. 2014 Jun; 39(3):537-64.
- Gonzalez M, Sanders-Jackson A, Glantz SA. Association of strong smoke-free laws with dentists' advice to quit smoking, 2006-2007. Am J Public Health. 2014 Apr; 104(4):e88-94.
- Ling PM, Lee YO, Hong J, Neilands TB, Jordan JW, Glantz SA. Social branding to decrease smoking among young adults in bars. Am J Public Health. 2014 Apr; 104(4):751-60.
- Brown-Johnson CG, England LJ, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Tobacco industry marketing to low socioeconomic status women in the U.S.A. Tob Control. 2014 Nov; 23(e2):e139-46.
- Glantz SA, Johnson KC. The surgeon general report on smoking and health 50 years later: breast cancer and the cost of increasing caution. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2014 Jan; 23(1):37-46.
- Song AV, Brown P, Glantz SA. When health policy and empirical evidence collide: the case of cigarette package warning labels and economic consumer surplus. Am J Public Health. 2014 Feb; 104(2):e42-51.
- Pinnamaneni K, Sievers RE, Sharma R, Selchau AM, Gutierrez G, Nordsieck EJ, Su R, An S, Chen Q, Wang X, Derakhshandeh R, Aschbacher K, Heiss C, Glantz SA, Schick SF, Springer ML. Brief exposure to secondhand smoke reversibly impairs endothelial vasodilatory function. Nicotine Tob Res. 2014 May; 16(5):584-90.
- Nazar GP, Lee JT, Glantz SA, Arora M, Pearce N, Millett C. Association between being employed in a smoke-free workplace and living in a smoke-free home: evidence from 15 low and middle income countries. Prev Med. 2014 Feb; 59:47-53.
- Lee S, Grana RA, Glantz SA. Electronic cigarette use among Korean adolescents: a cross-sectional study of market penetration, dual use, and relationship to quit attempts and former smoking. J Adolesc Health. 2014 Jun; 54(6):684-90.
- Apollonio DE, Glantz SA, Bero LA. Term limits and the tobacco industry. Soc Sci Med. 2014 Mar; 104:1-5.
- Cheng KW, Okechukwu CA, McMillen R, Glantz SA. Association between clean indoor air laws and voluntary smokefree rules in homes and cars. Tob Control. 2015 Mar; 24(2):168-74.
- Sanders-Jackson AN, Song AV, Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Effect of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and voluntary industry health warning labels on passage of mandated cigarette warning labels from 1965 to 2012: transition probability and event history analyses. Am J Public Health. 2013 Nov; 103(11):2041-7.
- Glantz SA, Gibbs E. Changes in ambulance calls after implementation of a smoke-free law and its extension to casinos. Circulation. 2013 Aug 20; 128(8):811-3.
- Polansky J, Glantz S. Debate over tobacco and film ratings should be evidence-based. N Z Med J. 2013 Jul 12; 126(1378):88.
- Basu S, Glantz S, Bitton A, Millett C. The effect of tobacco control measures during a period of rising cardiovascular disease risk in India: a mathematical model of myocardial infarction and stroke. PLoS Med. 2013; 10(7):e1001480.
- Glantz SA. Israel is failing to protect its citizens from secondhand smoke: underestimating public support. Isr J Health Policy Res. 2013 Jun 27; 2(1):24.
- Sanders-Jackson A, Gonzalez M, Zerbe B, Song AV, Glantz SA. The pattern of indoor smoking restriction law transitions, 1970-2009: laws are sticky. Am J Public Health. 2013 Aug; 103(8):e44-51.
- Tan CE, Kyriss T, Glantz SA. Tobacco company efforts to influence the Food and Drug Administration-commissioned Institute of Medicine report clearing the smoke: an analysis of documents released through litigation. PLoS Med. 2013; 10(5):e1001450.
- Sebrié EM, Sandoya E, Bianco E, Hyland A, Cummings KM, Glantz SA. Hospital admissions for acute myocardial infarction before and after implementation of a comprehensive smoke-free policy in Uruguay: experience through 2010. Tob Control. 2014 Nov; 23(6):471-2.
- Sterling K, Berg CJ, Thomas AN, Glantz SA, Ahluwalia JS. Factors associated with small cigar use among college students. Am J Health Behav. 2013 May; 37(3):325-33.
- Lee JT, Agrawal S, Basu S, Glantz SA, Millett C. Association between smoke-free workplace and second-hand smoke exposure at home in India. Tob Control. 2014 Jul; 23(4):308-12.
- Gonzalez M, Sanders-Jackson A, Song AV, Cheng KW, Glantz SA. Strong smoke-free law coverage in the United States by race/ethnicity: 2000-2009. Am J Public Health. 2013 May; 103(5):e62-6.
- Lightwood J, Glantz SA. The effect of the California tobacco control program on smoking prevalence, cigarette consumption, and healthcare costs: 1989-2008. PLoS One. 2013; 8(2):e47145.
- Fallin A, Grana R, Glantz SA. 'To quarterback behind the scenes, third-party efforts': the tobacco industry and the Tea Party. Tob Control. 2014 Jul; 23(4):322-31.
- Millett C, Lee JT, Laverty AA, Glantz SA, Majeed A. Hospital admissions for childhood asthma after smoke-free legislation in England. Pediatrics. 2013 Feb; 131(2):e495-501.
- Glantz SA. Slaying the Jabberwock: the link between strong smokefree policies and drops in acute myocardial infarctions survives the funnel plot. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Sep 30; 168(2):1534.
- Crosbie E, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry argues domestic trademark laws and international treaties preclude cigarette health warning labels, despite consistent legal advice that the argument is invalid. Tob Control. 2014 May; 23(3):e7.
- Laposata E, Barnes R, Glantz S. Tobacco Industry Influence on the American Law Institute's Restatements of Torts and Implications for Its Conflict of Interest Policies. Iowa Law Rev. 2012 Nov; 98(1):1-68.
- Tan CE, Glantz SA. Association between smoke-free legislation and hospitalizations for cardiac, cerebrovascular, and respiratory diseases: a meta-analysis. Circulation. 2012 Oct 30; 126(18):2177-83.
- Hiilamo H, Crosbie E, Glantz SA. The evolution of health warning labels on cigarette packs: the role of precedents, and tobacco industry strategies to block diffusion. Tob Control. 2014 Jan; 23(1):e2.
- Frey PF, Ganz P, Hsue PY, Benowitz NL, Glantz SA, Balmes JR, Schick SF. The exposure-dependent effects of aged secondhand smoke on endothelial function. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012 May 22; 59(21):1908-13.
- Sebrié EM, Schoj V, Travers MJ, McGaw B, Glantz SA. Smokefree policies in Latin America and the Caribbean: making progress. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2012 05; 9(5):1954-70.
- Schane RE, Prochaska JJ, Glantz SA. Counseling nondaily smokers about secondhand smoke as a cessation message: a pilot randomized trial. Nicotine Tob Res. 2013 Feb; 15(2):334-42.
- Lee S, Glantz SA. South Korea: 'KT&G Sangsang Univ.' employs education for marketing. Tob Control. 2012 Jul; 21(4):445-6.
- Kennedy A, Sullivan S, Hendlin Y, Barnes R, Glantz S. Strong tobacco control program requirements and secure funding are not enough: lessons from Florida. Am J Public Health. 2012 May; 102(5):807-17.
- Glantz SA. Pinocchio shows how to end the tobacco epidemic. Tob Control. 2012 Mar; 21(2):296-7; discussion 297-8.
- Lee S, Ling PM, Glantz SA. The vector of the tobacco epidemic: tobacco industry practices in low and middle-income countries. Cancer Causes Control. 2012 Mar; 23 Suppl 1:117-29.
- Sebrié EM, Sandoya E, Hyland A, Bianco E, Glantz SA, Cummings KM. Hospital admissions for acute myocardial infarction before and after implementation of a comprehensive smoke-free policy in Uruguay. Tob Control. 2013 May; 22(e1):e16-20.
- Crosbie E, Sebrié EM, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry success in Costa Rica: the importance of FCTC article 5.3. Salud Publica Mex. 2012 Jan-Feb; 54(1):28-38.
- Glantz SA, Iaccopucci A, Titus K, Polansky JR. Smoking in top-grossing US movies, 2011. Prev Chronic Dis. 2012; 9:120170.
- Hiilamo H, Glantz SA. Local Nordic tobacco interests collaborated with multinational companies to maintain a united front and undermine tobacco control policies. Tob Control. 2013 Mar; 22(2):154-64.
- Gonzalez M, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Planting trees without leaving home: tobacco company direct-to-consumer CSR efforts. Tob Control. 2012 May; 21(3):363-5.
- Wertz MS, Kyriss T, Paranjape S, Glantz SA. The toxic effects of cigarette additives. Philip Morris' project mix reconsidered: an analysis of documents released through litigation. PLoS Med. 2011 Dec; 8(12):e1001145.
- Millett C, Hanewinkel R, Britton J, Florek E, Faggiano F, Ness A, McKee M, Polansky JR, Glantz SA. European governments should stop subsidizing films with tobacco imagery. Eur J Public Health. 2012 Apr; 22(2):167-8.
- Arnott D, Berteletti F, Britton J, Cardone A, Clancy L, Craig L, Fong GT, Glantz SA, Joossens L, Rudolphie MT, Rutgers MR, Smith SC, Stam H, West R, Willemsen MC. Can the Dutch Government really be abandoning smokers to their fate? Lancet. 2012 Jan 14; 379(9811):121-2.
- Gonzalez M, Glantz SA. Failure of policy regarding smoke-free bars in the Netherlands. Eur J Public Health. 2013 Feb; 23(1):139-45.
- Cheng KW, Glantz SA, Lightwood JM. Association between smokefree laws and voluntary smokefree-home rules. Am J Prev Med. 2011 Dec; 41(6):566-72.
- Weeks SG, Glantz SA, De Marco T, Rosen AB, Fleischmann KE. Secondhand smoke exposure and quality of life in patients with heart failure. Arch Intern Med. 2011 Nov 28; 171(21):1887-93.
- Prochaska JJ, Benowitz NL, Glantz SA, Hudmon KS, Grossman W. Cardiology Rx for Change: improving clinical attention to tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure in cardiology. Clin Cardiol. 2011 Dec; 34(12):738-43.
- Basu S, Stuckler D, Bitton A, Glantz SA. Projected effects of tobacco smoking on worldwide tuberculosis control: mathematical modelling analysis. BMJ. 2011 Oct 04; 343:d5506.
- Glantz S, Gonzalez M. Effective tobacco control is key to rapid progress in reduction of non-communicable diseases. Lancet. 2012 Mar 31; 379(9822):1269-71.
- Glantz SA, Polansky JR. Movies with smoking make less money. Tob Control. 2012 Nov; 21(6):569-71.
- Mamudu HM, Gonzalez M, Glantz S. The nature, scope, and development of the global tobacco control epistemic community. Am J Public Health. 2011 Nov; 101(11):2044-54.
- Millett C, Polansky JR, Glantz SA. Government inaction on ratings and government subsidies to the US film industry help promote youth smoking. PLoS Med. 2011 Aug; 8(8):e1001077.
- Lee JT, Glantz SA, Millett C. Effect of smoke-free legislation on adult smoking behaviour in England in the 18 months following implementation. PLoS One. 2011; 6(6):e20933.
- Grana RA, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Electronic nicotine delivery systems in the hands of Hollywood. Tob Control. 2011 Nov; 20(6):425-6.
- Gonzalez M, Green LW, Glantz SA. Through tobacco industry eyes: civil society and the FCTC process from Philip Morris and British American Tobacco's perspectives. Tob Control. 2012 Jul; 21(4):e1.
- Lee YO, Glantz SA. Menthol: putting the pieces together. Tob Control. 2011 May; 20 Suppl 2:ii1-7.
- Salgado MV, Glantz SA. Direct disease-inducing effects of menthol through the eyes of tobacco companies. Tob Control. 2011 May; 20 Suppl 2:ii44-8.
- Otañez M, Glantz SA. Social responsibility in tobacco production? Tobacco companies' use of green supply chains to obscure the real costs of tobacco farming. Tob Control. 2011 Nov; 20(6):403-11.
- Millett C, Lee JT, Gibbons DC, Glantz SA. Increasing the age for the legal purchase of tobacco in England: impacts on socio-economic disparities in youth smoking. Thorax. 2011 Oct; 66(10):862-5.
- Glantz SA, Ling PM. Misleading conclusions from Altria researchers about population health effects of dual use. Nicotine Tob Res. 2011 Apr; 13(4):296; author reply 297.
- Chu A, Jiang N, Glantz SA. Transnational tobacco industry promotion of the cigarette gifting custom in China. Tob Control. 2011 Jul; 20(4):e3.
- Lightwood J, Glantz S. Effect of the Arizona tobacco control program on cigarette consumption and healthcare expenditures. Soc Sci Med. 2011 Jan; 72(2):166-72.
- Crosbie E, Sebrié EM, Glantz SA. Strong advocacy led to successful implementation of smokefree Mexico City. Tob Control. 2011 Jan; 20(1):64-72.
- Gan Q, Glantz SA. Relationship between the Chinese tobacco industry and academic institutions in China. Tob Control. 2011 Jan; 20(1):12-9.
- Mamudu HM, Hammond R, Glantz SA. International trade versus public health during the FCTC negotiations, 1999-2003. Tob Control. 2011 Jan; 20(1):e3.
- Sullivan S, Glantz SA. Local smoke-free ordinances are passing in tobacco-growing states. Am J Public Health. 2010 Nov; 100(11):2013-4; author reply 2014.
- Sullivan S, Glantz S. The changing role of agriculture in tobacco control policymaking: a South Carolina case study. Soc Sci Med. 2010 Oct; 71(8):1527-34.
- Heiss C, Jahn S, Taylor M, Real WM, Angeli FS, Wong ML, Amabile N, Prasad M, Rassaf T, Ottaviani JI, Mihardja S, Keen CL, Springer ML, Boyle A, Grossman W, Glantz SA, Schroeter H, Yeghiazarians Y. Improvement of endothelial function with dietary flavanols is associated with mobilization of circulating angiogenic cells in patients with coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Jul 13; 56(3):218-24.
- Glantz SA. Commentary on Hanewinkel et al. (2010): Anti-smoking advertisments vaccinate movie viewers against effects of on-screen smoking. Addiction. 2010 Jul; 105(7):1278-9.
- Mejia AB, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Quantifying the effects of promoting smokeless tobacco as a harm reduction strategy in the USA. Tob Control. 2010 Aug; 19(4):297-305.
- Hendlin Y, Anderson SJ, Glantz SA. 'Acceptable rebellion': marketing hipster aesthetics to sell Camel cigarettes in the US. Tob Control. 2010 Jun; 19(3):213-22.
- Gan Q, Lu W, Xu J, Li X, Goniewicz M, Benowitz NL, Glantz SA. Chinese 'low-tar' cigarettes do not deliver lower levels of nicotine and carcinogens. Tob Control. 2010 Oct; 19(5):374-9.
- Millett C, Glantz SA. Assigning an '18' rating to movies with tobacco imagery is essential to reduce youth smoking. Thorax. 2010 May; 65(5):377-8.
- Cataldo JK, Glantz SA. Smoking cessation and Alzheimer's disease: facts, fallacies and promise. Expert Rev Neurother. 2010 May; 10(5):629-31.
- Schane RE, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Health effects of light and intermittent smoking: a review. Circulation. 2010 Apr 06; 121(13):1518-22.
- Shmueli D, Prochaska JJ, Glantz SA. Effect of smoking scenes in films on immediate smoking: a randomized controlled study. Am J Prev Med. 2010 Apr; 38(4):351-8.
- Anderson SJ, Millett C, Polansky JR, Glantz SA. Exposure to smoking in movies among British adolescents 2001-2006. Tob Control. 2010 Jun; 19(3):197-200.
- Stanton CR, Chu A, Collin J, Glantz SA. Promoting tobacco through the international language of dance music: British American Tobacco and the Ministry of Sound. Eur J Public Health. 2011 Feb; 21(1):21-8.
- Sebrié EM, Blanco A, Glantz SA. Cigarette labeling policies in Latin America and the Caribbean: progress and obstacles. Salud Publica Mex. 2010; 52 Suppl 2:S233-43.
- Cataldo JK, Prochaska JJ, Glantz SA. Cigarette smoking is a risk factor for Alzheimer's Disease: an analysis controlling for tobacco industry affiliation. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010; 19(2):465-80.
- Sebrié EM, Glantz SA. Local smoke-free policy development in Santa Fe, Argentina. Tob Control. 2010 Apr; 19(2):110-6.
- Gan Q, Yang J, Yang G, Goniewicz M, Benowitz NL, Glantz SA. Chinese "herbal" cigarettes are as carcinogenic and addictive as regular cigarettes. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Dec; 18(12):3497-501.
- Schane RE, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Nondaily and social smoking: an increasingly prevalent pattern. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Oct 26; 169(19):1742-4.
- Lightwood JM, Glantz SA. Declines in acute myocardial infarction after smoke-free laws and individual risk attributable to secondhand smoke. Circulation. 2009 Oct 06; 120(14):1373-9.
- Otañez MG, Mamudu HM, Glantz SA. Tobacco companies' use of developing countries' economic reliance on tobacco to lobby against global tobacco control: the case of Malawi. Am J Public Health. 2009 Oct; 99(10):1759-71.
- Schane RE, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Social smoking implications for public health, clinical practice, and intervention research. Am J Prev Med. 2009 Aug; 37(2):124-31.
- Glantz SA, Barnes R, Eubanks SY. Compromise or capitulation? US Food and Drug Administration jurisdiction over tobacco products. PLoS Med. 2009 Jul; 6(7):e1000118.
- Song AV, Glantz SA, Halpern-Felsher BL. Perceptions of second-hand smoke risks predict future adolescent smoking initiation. J Adolesc Health. 2009 Dec; 45(6):618-25.
- Lum KL, Barnes RL, Glantz SA. Enacting tobacco taxes by direct popular vote in the United States: lessons from 20 years of experience. Tob Control. 2009 Oct; 18(5):377-86.
- Glantz SA. Limited linkages between secondhand smoke discovery and delivery: more a speed bump than a gap. Am J Prev Med. 2009 Jun; 36(6):555-6.
- Angeli FS, Shapiro M, Amabile N, Orcino G, Smith CS, Tacy T, Boyle AJ, Chatterjee K, Glantz SA, Grossman W, Yeghiazarians Y. Left ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction: characterization of a swine model on beta-blocker therapy. Comp Med. 2009 Jun; 59(3):272-9.
- Otañez MG, Glantz SA. Trafficking in tobacco farm culture: Tobacco companies use of video imagery to undermine health policy. Vis Anthropol Rev. 2009 May 01; 25(1):1-24.
- Dinno A, Glantz S. Tobacco control policies are egalitarian: a vulnerabilities perspective on clean indoor air laws, cigarette prices, and tobacco use disparities. Soc Sci Med. 2009 Apr; 68(8):1439-47.
- Ling PM, Neilands TB, Glantz SA. Young adult smoking behavior: a national survey. Am J Prev Med. 2009 May; 36(5):389-394.e2.
- Tung GJ, Hendlin YH, Glantz SA. Competing initiatives: a new tobacco industry strategy to oppose statewide clean indoor air ballot measures. Am J Public Health. 2009 Mar; 99(3):430-9.
- Mamudu HM, Glantz SA. Civil society and the negotiation of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Glob Public Health. 2009; 4(2):150-68.
- Landman A, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry efforts to undermine policy-relevant research. Am J Public Health. 2009 Jan; 99(1):45-58.
- Mamudu HM, Hammond R, Glantz S. Tobacco industry attempts to counter the World Bank report Curbing the Epidemic and obstruct the WHO framework convention on tobacco control. Soc Sci Med. 2008 Dec; 67(11):1690-9.
- Schane RE, Glantz SA. Education on the dangers of passive smoking: a cessation strategy past due. Circulation. 2008 Oct 07; 118(15):1521-3.
- Schneider NK, Glantz SA. "Nicotine Nazis strike again": a brief analysis of the use of Nazi rhetoric in attacking tobacco control advocacy. Tob Control. 2008 Oct; 17(5):291-6.
- Lum KL, Polansky JR, Jackler RK, Glantz SA. Signed, sealed and delivered: "big tobacco" in Hollywood, 1927-1951. Tob Control. 2008 Oct; 17(5):313-23.
- Lightwood JM, Dinno A, Glantz SA. Effect of the California tobacco control program on personal health care expenditures. PLoS Med. 2008 Aug 26; 5(8):e178.
- Song AV, Glantz SA. Pushing secondhand smoke and the tobacco industry outside the social norm to reduce adolescent smoking. J Adolesc Health. 2008 Oct; 43(4):315-7.
- Mamudu HM, Hammond R, Glantz SA. Project Cerberus: tobacco industry strategy to create an alternative to the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Am J Public Health. 2008 Sep; 98(9):1630-42.
- Glantz SA. Meta-analysis of the effects of smokefree laws on acute myocardial infarction: an update. Prev Med. 2008 Oct; 47(4):452-3.
- Heiss C, Amabile N, Lee AC, Real WM, Schick SF, Lao D, Wong ML, Jahn S, Angeli FS, Minasi P, Springer ML, Hammond SK, Glantz SA, Grossman W, Balmes JR, Yeghiazarians Y. Brief secondhand smoke exposure depresses endothelial progenitor cells activity and endothelial function: sustained vascular injury and blunted nitric oxide production. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008 May 06; 51(18):1760-71.
- Alamar BC, Glantz SA. Externalities in the Workplace: A Response to a Rejoinder to a Response to a Response to a Paper. Econ J Watch. 2008 May 01; 5(2):169-173.
- Slinker BK, Glantz SA. Multiple linear regression: accounting for multiple simultaneous determinants of a continuous dependent variable. Circulation. 2008 Apr 01; 117(13):1732-7.
- Landman A, Cortese DK, Glantz S. Tobacco industry sociological programs to influence public beliefs about smoking. Soc Sci Med. 2008 Feb; 66(4):970-81.
- Sebrié EM, Schoj V, Glantz SA. Smokefree environments in Latin America: on the road to real change? Prev Control. 2008 Jan 01; 3(1):21-35.
- Johnson KC, Glantz SA. Evidence secondhand smoke causes breast cancer in 2005 stronger than for lung cancer in 1986. Prev Med. 2008 Jun; 46(6):492-6.
- Song AV, Ling PM, Neilands TB, Glantz SA. Smoking in movies and increased smoking among young adults. Am J Prev Med. 2007 Nov; 33(5):396-403.
- Tong EK, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry efforts undermining evidence linking secondhand smoke with cardiovascular disease. Circulation. 2007 Oct 16; 116(16):1845-54.
- Barnes RL, Glantz SA. Endotoxins in tobacco smoke: shifting tobacco industry positions. Nicotine Tob Res. 2007 Oct; 9(10):995-1004.
- Sebrié EM, Glantz SA. "Accommodating" smoke-free policies: tobacco industry's Courtesy of Choice programme in Latin America. Tob Control. 2007 Oct; 16(5):e6.
- Otañez MG, Mamudu H, Glantz SA. Global leaf companies control the tobacco market in Malawi. Tob Control. 2007 Aug; 16(4):261-9.
- Anderson SJ, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Implications of the federal court order banning the terms "light" and "mild": what difference could it make? Tob Control. 2007 Aug; 16(4):275-9.
- Schick SF, Glantz S. Concentrations of the carcinogen 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone in sidestream cigarette smoke increase after release into indoor air: results from unpublished tobacco industry research. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Aug; 16(8):1547-53.
- Ibrahim JK, Glantz SA. The rise and fall of tobacco control media campaigns, 1967 2006. Am J Public Health. 2007 Aug; 97(8):1383-96.
- Sebrié EM, Glantz SA. Attempts to undermine tobacco control: tobacco industry "youth smoking prevention" programs to undermine meaningful tobacco control in Latin America. Am J Public Health. 2007 Aug; 97(8):1357-67.
- Ling PM, Neilands TB, Glantz SA. The effect of support for action against the tobacco industry on smoking among young adults. Am J Public Health. 2007 Aug; 97(8):1449-56.
- Alamar B, Glantz SA. Effect of smoke-free laws on bar value and profits. Am J Public Health. 2007 Aug; 97(8):1400-2.
- Schick SF, Glantz SA. Old ways, new means: tobacco industry funding of academic and private sector scientists since the Master Settlement Agreement. Tob Control. 2007 Jun; 16(3):157-64.
- John RM, Glantz SA. It is time to make smokefree environments work in India. Indian J Med Res. 2007 May; 125(5):599-603.
- Dinno A, Glantz S. Clean indoor air laws immediately reduce heart attacks. Prev Med. 2007 Jul; 45(1):9-11.
- Chen A, Glantz S, Tong E. Asian herbal-tobacco cigarettes: "not medicine but less harmful"? Tob Control. 2007 Apr; 16(2):e3.
- Glantz SA. Commentary: Assessing the effects of the Scottish Smokefree Law--the placebo effect and the importance of obtaining unbiased data. Int J Epidemiol. 2007 Feb; 36(1):155-6.
- Barnes RL, Hammond SK, Glantz SA. The tobacco industry's role in the 16 Cities Study of secondhand tobacco smoke: do the data support the stated conclusions? Environ Health Perspect. 2006 Dec; 114(12):1890-7.
- Torrijos RM, Glantz SA. The US Public Health Service "treating tobacco use and dependence clinical practice guidelines" as a legal standard of care. Tob Control. 2006 Dec; 15(6):447-51.
- Schick SF, Schick S, Glantz SA. Sidestream cigarette smoke toxicity increases with aging and exposure duration. Tob Control. 2006 Dec; 15(6):424-9.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Cardiovascular effects of second-hand smoke help explain the benefits of smoke-free legislation on heart disease burden. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2006 Nov-Dec; 21(6):457-62.
- Healton CG, Watson-Stryker ES, Allen JA, Vallone DM, Messeri PA, Graham PR, Stewart AM, Dobbins MD, Glantz SA. Televised movie trailers: undermining restrictions on advertising tobacco to youth. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006 Sep; 160(9):885-8.
- Mandel LL, Bialous SA, Glantz SA. Avoiding "truth": tobacco industry promotion of life skills training. J Adolesc Health. 2006 Dec; 39(6):868-79.
- Alamar B, Glantz SA. Effect of increased social unacceptability of cigarette smoking on reduction in cigarette consumption. Am J Public Health. 2006 Aug; 96(8):1359-63.
- Otañez MG, Muggli ME, Hurt RD, Glantz SA. Eliminating child labour in Malawi: a British American Tobacco corporate responsibility project to sidestep tobacco labour exploitation. Tob Control. 2006 Jun; 15(3):224-30.
- Bornhäuser A, McCarthy J, Glantz SA. German tobacco industry's successful efforts to maintain scientific and political respectability to prevent regulation of secondhand smoke. Tob Control. 2006 Apr; 15(2):e1.
- Alamar B, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry profits from smoking images in the movies. Pediatrics. 2006 Apr; 117(4):1462.
- Alamar B, Glantz SA. Modeling Addictive Consumption as an Infectious Disease. Contrib Econ Analysis Policy. 2006 Mar 17; 5(1):1-22.
- Sebrié E, Glantz SA. The tobacco industry in developing countries. BMJ. 2006 Feb 11; 332(7537):313-4.
- Ibrahim JK, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry litigation strategies to oppose tobacco control media campaigns. Tob Control. 2006 Feb; 15(1):50-8.
- Glantz SA, Polansky J. Smoking in movies. Chest. 2006 Feb; 129(2):495; author reply 495-6.
- Charlesworth A, Glantz SA. Tobacco and the movie industry. Clin Occup Environ Med. 2006; 5(1):73-84, ix.
- Glantz FK, Glantz SA. Protecting Europeans from secondhand smoke: time to act. Eur Heart J. 2006 Feb; 27(4):382-3.
- Charlesworth A, Glantz SA. Smoking in the movies increases adolescent smoking: a review. Pediatrics. 2005 Dec; 116(6):1516-28.
- Schick S, Glantz S. Philip Morris toxicological experiments with fresh sidestream smoke: more toxic than mainstream smoke. Tob Control. 2005 Dec; 14(6):396-404.
- Ling PM, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry consumer research on socially acceptable cigarettes. Tob Control. 2005 Oct; 14(5):e3.
- Neuman MD, Bitton A, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry influence on the definition of tobacco related disorders by the American Psychiatric Association. Tob Control. 2005 Oct; 14(5):328-37.
- Sebrié EM, Barnoya J, Pérez-Stable EJ, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry successfully prevented tobacco control legislation in Argentina. Tob Control. 2005 Oct; 14(5):e2.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. The tobacco industry's worldwide ETS consultants project: European and Asian components. Eur J Public Health. 2006 Feb; 16(1):69-77.
- Schick S, Glantz S. Scientific analysis of second-hand smoke by the tobacco industry, 1929-1972. Nicotine Tob Res. 2005 Aug; 7(4):591-612.
- Barnoya J, Bialous SA, Glantz SA. Effective interventions to reduce smoking-induced heart disease around the world: time to act. Circulation. 2005 Jul 26; 112(4):456-8.
- Cook DM, Tong EK, Glantz SA, Bero LA. The power of paperwork: how Philip Morris neutralized the medical code for secondhand smoke. Health Aff (Millwood). 2005 Jul-Aug; 24(4):994-1004.
- Ong MK, Glantz SA. Free nicotine replacement therapy programs vs implementing smoke-free workplaces: a cost-effectiveness comparison. Am J Public Health. 2005 Jun; 95(6):969-75.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Cardiovascular effects of secondhand smoke: nearly as large as smoking. Circulation. 2005 May 24; 111(20):2684-98.
- Glantz SA. Tobacco money at the University of California. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005 May 15; 171(10):1067-9.
- Anderson SJ, Glantz SA, Ling PM. Emotions for sale: cigarette advertising and women's psychosocial needs. Tob Control. 2005 Apr; 14(2):127-35.
- Bero LA, Glantz S, Hong MK. The limits of competing interest disclosures. Tob Control. 2005 Apr; 14(2):118-26.
- Tong EK, England L, Glantz SA. Changing conclusions on secondhand smoke in a sudden infant death syndrome review funded by the tobacco industry. Pediatrics. 2005 Mar; 115(3):e356-66.
- Glantz SA, Mandel LL. Since school-based tobacco prevention programs do not work, what should we do? J Adolesc Health. 2005 Mar; 36(3):157-9.
- Mandel LL, Alamar BC, Glantz SA. Smoke-free law did not affect revenue from gaming in Delaware. Tob Control. 2005 Feb; 14(1):10-2.
- Bitton A, Neuman MD, Barnoya J, Glantz SA. The p53 tumour suppressor gene and the tobacco industry: research, debate, and conflict of interest. Lancet. 2005 Feb 5-11; 365(9458):531-40.
- S. Glantz. Primer of Biostatistics (6 ed). 2005.
- Kunyk D, Freeman B, Glantz S. Health conventions in smoke free places have positive economic impact. BMJ. 2004 Dec 04; 329(7478):1346.
- Tong EK, Glantz SA. ARTIST (Asian regional tobacco industry scientist team): Philip Morris' attempt to exert a scientific and regulatory agenda on Asia. Tob Control. 2004 Dec; 13 Suppl 2:ii118-24.
- Lambert A, Sargent JD, Glantz SA, Ling PM. How Philip Morris unlocked the Japanese cigarette market: lessons for global tobacco control. Tob Control. 2004 Dec; 13(4):379-87.
- Alamar BC, Glantz SA. SMOKE-FREE ORDINANCES INCREASE RESTAURANT PROFIT AND VALUE. Contemp Econ Policy. 2004 Oct; 22(4):520-525.
- Mandel LL, Glantz SA. Hedging their bets: tobacco and gambling industries work against smoke-free policies. Tob Control. 2004 Sep; 13(3):268-76.
- Ibrahim JK, Tsoukalas TH, Glantz SA. Public health foundations and the tobacco industry: lessons from Minnesota. Tob Control. 2004 Sep; 13(3):228-36.
- Alamar BC, Glantz SA. The tobacco industry's use of Wall Street analysts in shaping policy. Tob Control. 2004 Sep; 13(3):223-7.
- Barnoya J, Glantz S. Association of the California tobacco control program with declines in lung cancer incidence. Cancer Causes Control. 2004 Sep; 15(7):689-95.
- Ong MK, Glantz SA. Cardiovascular health and economic effects of smoke-free workplaces. Am J Med. 2004 Jul 01; 117(1):32-8.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Modifiable behavioral factors as causes of death. JAMA. 2004 Jun 23; 291(24):2941-2; author reply 2942-3.
- Ling PM, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry research on smoking cessation. Recapturing young adults and other recent quitters. J Gen Intern Med. 2004 May; 19(5 Pt 1):419-26.
- Sargent RP, Shepard RM, Glantz SA. Reduced incidence of admissions for myocardial infarction associated with public smoking ban: before and after study. BMJ. 2004 Apr 24; 328(7446):977-80.
- Nixon ML, Mahmoud L, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry litigation to deter local public health ordinances: the industry usually loses in court. Tob Control. 2004 Mar; 13(1):65-73.
- Drope J, Bialous SA, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry efforts to present ventilation as an alternative to smoke-free environments in North America. Tob Control. 2004 Mar; 13 Suppl 1:i41-7.
- Neilsen K, Glantz SA. A tobacco industry study of airline cabin air quality: dropping inconvenient findings. Tob Control. 2004 Mar; 13 Suppl 1:i20-9.
- Barnoya J, Glantz S. Secondhand smoke and cardiologists: the missing link. Int J Cardiol. 2004 Feb; 93(2-3):331; author reply 333.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Secondhand smoke: the evidence of danger keeps growing. Am J Med. 2004 Feb 01; 116(3):201-2.
- Glantz SA, Kacirk KW, McCulloch C. Back to the future: Smoking in movies in 2002 compared with 1950 levels. Am J Public Health. 2004 Feb; 94(2):261-3.
- Givel M, Glantz SA. The "global settlement" with the tobacco industry: 6 years later. Am J Public Health. 2004 Feb; 94(2):218-24.
- Glantz SA. Effect of viewing smoking in movies on adolescent smoking initiation: a cohor study. J Pediatr. 2004 Jan; 144(1):137-8.
- Glantz SA, Wilson-Loots R. No association of smoke-free ordinances with profits from bingo and charitable games in Massachusetts. Tob Control. 2003 Dec; 12(4):411-3.
- Drope J, Glantz S. British Columbia capital regional district 100% smokefree bylaw: a successful public health campaign despite industry opposition. Tob Control. 2003 Sep; 12(3):264-8.
- Zhu BQ, Heeschen C, Sievers RE, Karliner JS, Parmley WW, Glantz SA, Cooke JP. Second hand smoke stimulates tumor angiogenesis and growth. Cancer Cell. 2003 Sep; 4(3):191-6.
- Weber MD, Bagwell DA, Fielding JE, Glantz SA. Long term compliance with California's Smoke-Free Workplace Law among bars and restaurants in Los Angeles County. Tob Control. 2003 Sep; 12(3):269-73.
- Tsoukalas T, Glantz SA. The Duluth clean indoor air ordinance: problems and success in fighting the tobacco industry at the local level in the 21st century. Am J Public Health. 2003 Aug; 93(8):1214-21.
- Glantz SA. Smoking in movies: a major problem and a real solution. Lancet. 2003 Jul 26; 362(9380):258-9.
- Tsoukalas TH, Glantz SA. Development and destruction of the first state funded anti-smoking campaign in the USA. Tob Control. 2003 Jun; 12(2):214-20.
- Scollo M, Lal A, Hyland A, Glantz S. Review of the quality of studies on the economic effects of smoke-free policies on the hospitality industry. Tob Control. 2003 Mar; 12(1):13-20.
- Barnoya J, Glantz SA. The tobacco industry and secondhand smoke: lessons from Central and South America. Ethn Dis. 2003; 13(2 Suppl 2):S88-90.
- Barnoya J, Glantz S. Tobacco industry success in preventing regulation of secondhand smoke in Latin America: the "Latin Project". Tob Control. 2002 Dec; 11(4):305-14.
- Bialous SA, Glantz SA. ASHRAE Standard 62: tobacco industry's influence over national ventilation standards. Tob Control. 2002 Dec; 11(4):315-28.
- Barnoya J, Glantz S. Knowledge and use of tobacco among Guatemalan physicians. Cancer Causes Control. 2002 Nov; 13(9):879-81.
- Glantz SA. Limiting youth access to tobacco: a failed intervention. J Adolesc Health. 2002 Oct; 31(4):301-2.
- Fichtenberg CM, Glantz SA. Effect of smoke-free workplaces on smoking behaviour: systematic review. BMJ. 2002 Jul 27; 325(7357):188.
- Ling PM, Glantz SA. Using tobacco-industry marketing research to design more effective tobacco-control campaigns. JAMA. 2002 Jun 12; 287(22):2983-9.
- Dearlove JV, Bialous SA, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry manipulation of the hospitality industry to maintain smoking in public places. Tob Control. 2002 Jun; 11(2):94-104.
- Ling PM, Glantz SA. Nicotine addiction, young adults, and smoke-free bars. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2002 Jun; 21(2):101-4.
- Fichtenberg CM, Glantz SA. Youth access interventions do not affect youth smoking. Pediatrics. 2002 Jun; 109(6):1088-92.
- Ling PM, Glantz SA. Why and how the tobacco industry sells cigarettes to young adults: evidence from industry documents. Am J Public Health. 2002 Jun; 92(6):908-16.
- Landman A, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry youth smoking prevention programs: protecting the industry and hurting tobacco control. Am J Public Health. 2002 Jun; 92(6):917-30.
- Neuman M, Bitton A, Glantz S. Tobacco industry strategies for influencing European Community tobacco advertising legislation. Lancet. 2002 Apr 13; 359(9314):1323-30.
- Glantz SA. Air pollution as a cause of heart disease. Time for action. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002 Mar 20; 39(6):943-5.
- Zhu BQ, Sievers RE, Browne AE, Hillman RT, Chair K, Lee RJ, Chatterjee K, Glantz SA, Parmley WW. The renin-angiotensin system does not contribute to the endothelial dysfunction and increased infarct size in rats exposed to second hand smoke. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst. 2002 Mar; 3(1):54-60.
- Sepe E, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Smooth moves: bar and nightclub tobacco promotions that target young adults. Am J Public Health. 2002 Mar; 92(3):414-9.
- Ling PM, Landman A, Glantz SA. It is time to abandon youth access tobacco programmes. Tob Control. 2002 Mar; 11(1):3-6.
- Mekemson C, Glantz SA. How the tobacco industry built its relationship with Hollywood. Tob Control. 2002 Mar; 11 Suppl 1:I81-91.
- Givel MS, Glantz SA. State tobacco settlement funds not being spent on vigorous tobacco control efforts. Oncology (Williston Park). 2002 Feb; 16(2):152, 155-7.
- Dearlove JV, Glantz SA. Boards of Health as venues for clean indoor air policy making. Am J Public Health. 2002 Feb; 92(2):257-65.
- Sepe E, Glantz SA. Bar and club tobacco promotions in the alternative press: targeting young adults. Am J Public Health. 2002 Jan; 92(1):75-8.
- Glantz SA. Rate movies with smoking "R". Eff Clin Pract. 2002 Jan-Feb; 5(1):31-4.
- Glantz SA. Smoking in teenagers and watching films showing smoking. BMJ. 2001 Dec 15; 323(7326):1378-9.
- Bitton A, Fichtenberg C, Glantz S. msJAMA: reducing smoking prevalence to 10% in five years. JAMA. 2001 Dec 05; 286(21):2733-4.
- Kacirk K, Glantz SA. Smoking in movies in 2000 exceeded rates in the 1960s. Tob Control. 2001 Dec; 10(4):397-8.
- Ong EK, Glantz SA. Constructing "sound science" and "good epidemiology": tobacco, lawyers, and public relations firms. Am J Public Health. 2001 Nov; 91(11):1749-57.
- Sun YP, Zhu BQ, Browne AE, Sievers RE, Bekker JM, Chatterjee K, Parmley WW, Glantz SA. Nicotine does not influence arterial lipid deposits in rabbits exposed to second-hand smoke. Circulation. 2001 Aug 14; 104(7):810-4.
- Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Even a little secondhand smoke is dangerous. JAMA. 2001 Jul 25; 286(4):462-3.
- Magzamen S, Charlesworth A, Glantz SA. Print media coverage of California's smokefree bar law. Tob Control. 2001 Jun; 10(2):154-60.
- Givel MS, Glantz SA. Tobacco lobby political influence on US state legislatures in the 1990s. Tob Control. 2001 Jun; 10(2):124-34.
- Lightwood J, Fleischmann KE, Glantz SA. Smoking cessation in heart failure: it is never too late. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001 May; 37(6):1683-4.
- Sun YP, Zhu BQ, Browne AE, Pulukurthy S, Chou TM, Sudhir K, Glantz SA, Deedwania PC, Chatterjee K, Parmley WW. Comparative effects of ACE inhibitors and an angiotensin receptor blocker on atherosclerosis and vascular function. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther. 2001 Apr; 6(2):175-81.
- Magzamen S, Glantz SA. The new battleground: California's experience with smoke-free bars. Am J Public Health. 2001 Feb; 91(2):245-52.
- Bialous SA, Fox BJ, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry allegations of "illegal lobbying" and state tobacco control. Am J Public Health. 2001 Jan; 91(1):62-7.
- Fichtenberg CM, Glantz SA. Association of the California Tobacco Control Program with declines in cigarette consumption and mortality from heart disease. N Engl J Med. 2000 Dec 14; 343(24):1772-7.
- Glantz SA, Parmely WW. Does secondhand smoke activate platelets? Toxicol Sci. 2000 Dec; 58(2):416-7.
- Glantz SA, Jamieson P. Attitudes toward secondhand smoke, smoking, and quitting among young people. Pediatrics. 2000 Dec; 106(6):E82.
- Glantz SA. Lung cancer and passive smoking. Nothing new was said. BMJ. 2000 Nov 11; 321(7270):1222; author reply 1222-3.
- Glantz SA. The truth about big tobacco in its own words. BMJ. 2000 Aug 05; 321(7257):313-4.
- Balbach ED, Traynor MP, Glantz SA. The implementation of California's tobacco tax initiative: the critical role of outsider strategies in protecting Proposition 99. J Health Polit Policy Law. 2000 Aug; 25(4):689-715.
- Glantz SA. Compete with the tobacco industry. Tob Control. 2000 Jun; 9(2):241.
- Laugesen M, Scollo M, Sweanor D, Shiffman S, Gitchell J, Barnsley K, Jacobs M, Giovino GA, Glantz SA, Daynard RA, Connolly GN, Difranza JR. World's best practice in tobacco control. Tob Control. 2000 Jun; 9(2):228-36.
- Barbier P, Solomon S, Schiller NB, Glantz SA. Determinants of forward pulmonary vein flow: an open pericardium pig model. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000 Jun; 35(7):1947-59.
- Givel MS, Glantz SA. Failure to defend a successful state tobacco control program: policy lessons from Florida. Am J Public Health. 2000 May; 90(5):762-7.
- Ong EK, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry efforts subverting International Agency for Research on Cancer's second-hand smoke study. Lancet. 2000 Apr 08; 355(9211):1253-9.
- Glantz SA. Effect of smokefree bar law on bar revenues in California. Tob Control. 2000 Mar; 9(1):111-2.
- Glantz S, Glantz JC, Campbell-Heider N, Schaff E. Norplant use among urban minority women in the United States. Contraception. 2000 Feb; 61(2):83-90.
- S. Glantz, B. Slinker. Primer of Applied Regression and Analysis of Variance (2 ed). 2000.
- Ong E, Glantz SA. Hirayama's work has stood the test of time. Bull World Health Organ. 2000; 78(7):938-9.
- S. Glantz, E. Balbach. Tobacco War: Inside the California Battles. 2000.
- Givel MS, Glantz SA. Tobacco control and direct democracy in Dade County, Florida: future implications for health advocates. J Public Health Policy. 2000; 21(3):268-95.
- Glantz SA. Tobacco related disease research program. Tob Control. 2000; 9 Suppl 2:II2-3.
- Glantz S. Stan Glantz, tobacco warrior. Bull World Health Organ. 2000; 78(7):947.
- Lightwood JM, Phibbs CS, Glantz SA. Short-term health and economic benefits of smoking cessation: low birth weight. Pediatrics. 1999 Dec; 104(6):1312-20.
- Barbier P, Solomon SB, Schiller NB, Glantz SA. Left atrial relaxation and left ventricular systolic function determine left atrial reservoir function. Circulation. 1999 Jul 27; 100(4):427-36.
- Hutchison SJ, Sudhir K, Sievers RE, Zhu BQ, Sun YP, Chou TM, Chatterjee K, Deedwania PC, Cooke JP, Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Effects of L-arginine on atherogenesis and endothelial dysfunction due to secondhand smoke. Hypertension. 1999 Jul; 34(1):44-50.
- Solomon SB, Glantz SA. Regional ischemia increases sensitivity of left ventricular relaxation to volume in pigs. Am J Physiol. 1999 Jun; 276(6 Pt 2):H1994-2005.
- Glantz SA, Charlesworth A. Tourism and hotel revenues before and after passage of smoke-free restaurant ordinances. JAMA. 1999 May 26; 281(20):1911-8.
- Glantz SA. [The leading role of Norway in tobacco use prevention must be regained]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 1999 Mar 10; 119(7):987-8.
- Solomon SB, Barbier P, Glantz SA. Changes in porcine transmitral flow velocity pattern and its diastolic determinants during partial coronary occlusion. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999 Mar; 33(3):854-66.
- Glantz SA. Smoke-free restaurant ordinances do not affect restaurant business. Period. J Public Health Manag Pract. 1999 Jan; 5(1):vi-ix.
- Goldman LK, Glantz SA. The passage and initial implementation of Oregon's Measure 44. Tob Control. 1999; 8(3):311-22.
- Aguinaga Bialous S, Glantz SA. Arizona's tobacco control initiative illustrates the need for continuing oversight by tobacco control advocates. Tob Control. 1999; 8(2):141-51.
- Hutchison SJ, Glantz SA, Zhu BQ, Sun YP, Chou TM, Chatterjee K, Deedwania PC, Parmley WW, Sudhir K. In-utero and neonatal exposure to secondhand smoke causes vascular dysfunction in newborn rats. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1998 Nov; 32(5):1463-7.
- Tayama M, Solomon SB, Glantz SA. Effect of lidocaine on left ventricular pressure-volume curves during demand ischemia in pigs. Am J Physiol. 1998 Jun; 274(6 Pt 2):H2100-9.
- Monardi F, Glantz SA. Are tobacco industry campaign contributions influencing state legislative behavior? Am J Public Health. 1998 Jun; 88(6):918-23.
- Schwarzacher SP, Hutchison S, Chou TM, Sun YP, Zhu BQ, Chatterjee K, Glantz SA, Deedwania PC, Parmley WW, Sudhir K. Antioxidant diet preserves endothelium-dependent vasodilatation in resistance arteries of hypercholesterolemic rabbits exposed to environmental tobacco smoke. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1998 May; 31(5):649-53.
- Goldman LK, Glantz SA. Evaluation of antismoking advertising campaigns. JAMA. 1998 Mar 11; 279(10):772-7.
- Solomon SB, Nikolic SD, Glantz SA, Yellin EL. Left ventricular diastolic function of remodeled myocardium in dogs with pacing-induced heart failure. Am J Physiol. 1998 Mar; 274(3 Pt 2):H945-54.
- Balbach ED, Glantz SA. Tobacco control advocates must demand high-quality media campaigns: the California experience. Tob Control. 1998; 7(4):397-408.
- Teti TS, Glantz SA. Smoking in movies remained high in 1997. Tob Control. 1998; 7(4):441.
- Zhu BQ, Sun YP, Sudhir K, Sievers RE, Browne AE, Gao L, Hutchison SJ, Chou TM, Deedwania PC, Chatterjee K, Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Effects of second-hand smoke and gender on infarct size of young rats exposed in utero and in the neonatal to adolescent period. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1997 Dec; 30(7):1878-85.
- Macdonald H, Aguinaga S, Glantz SA. The defeat of Philip Morris' 'California Uniform Tobacco Control Act'. Am J Public Health. 1997 Dec; 87(12):1989-96.
- Glantz SA, Smith LR. The effect of ordinances requiring smoke-free restaurants and bars on revenues: a follow-up. Am J Public Health. 1997 Oct; 87(10):1687-93.
- Lightwood JM, Glantz SA. Short-term economic and health benefits of smoking cessation: myocardial infarction and stroke. Circulation. 1997 Aug 19; 96(4):1089-96.
- Hutchison SJ, Reitz MS, Sudhir K, Sievers RE, Zhu BQ, Sun YP, Chou TM, Deedwania PC, Chatterjee K, Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Chronic dietary L-arginine prevents endothelial dysfunction secondary to environmental tobacco smoke in normocholesterolemic rabbits. Hypertension. 1997 May; 29(5):1186-91.
- Hutchison SJ, Sudhir K, Chou TM, Sievers RE, Zhu BQ, Sun YP, Deedwania PC, Glantz SA, Parmley WW, Chatterjee K. Testosterone worsens endothelial dysfunction associated with hypercholesterolemia and environmental tobacco smoke exposure in male rabbit aorta. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1997 Mar 15; 29(4):800-7.
- Glantz SA, Fox BJ, Lightwood JM. Tobacco litigation. Issues for public health and public policy. JAMA. 1997 Mar 05; 277(9):751-3.
- Glantz SA. Back to basics: getting smoke-free workplaces back on track. Tob Control. 1997; 6(3):164-6.
- Begay ME, Glantz SA. Question 1 tobacco education expenditures in Massachusetts, USA. Tob Control. 1997; 6(3):213-8.
- Stockwell TF, Glantz SA. Tobacco use is increasing in popular films. Tob Control. 1997; 6(4):282-4.
- Macdonald HR, Glantz SA. Political realities of statewide smoking legislation: the passage of California's Assembly Bill 13. Tob Control. 1997; 6(1):41-54.
- Glantz SA. After ASSIST, what next? SCIENCE. Tob Control. 1997; 6(4):337-9.
- Glantz SA. The ledger of tobacco control. JAMA. 1996 Sep 18; 276(11):871-2; author reply 873.
- Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Passive and active smoking. A problem for adults. Circulation. 1996 Aug 15; 94(4):596-8.
- Zhu B, Sun Y, Sievers RE, Shuman JL, Glantz SA, Chatterjee K, Parmley WW, Wolfe CL. L-arginine decreases infarct size in rats exposed to environmental tobacco smoke. Am Heart J. 1996 Jul; 132(1 Pt 1):91-100.
- Smedberg JI, Nilner K, Rangert B, Svensson SA, Glantz SA. On the influence of superstructure connection on implant preload: a methodological and clinical study. Clin Oral Implants Res. 1996 Mar; 7(1):55-63.
- Glantz SA. Preventing tobacco use--the youth access trap. Am J Public Health. 1996 Feb; 86(2):156-8.
- S. Glantz, J. Slade, L. Bero, P. Hanauer, D. Barnes. The Cigarette Papers. 1996.
- Traynor MP, Glantz SA. California's tobacco tax initiative: the development and passage of Proposition 99. J Health Polit Policy Law. 1996; 21(3):543-85.
- Glantz S. Stanton Glantz on snuffing tobacco research. Interview by Thomasine Kushner. Camb Q Healthc Ethics. 1996; 5(3):415-21.
- Balbach ED, Glantz SA. Tobacco information in two grade school newsweeklies: a content analysis. Am J Public Health. 1995 Dec; 85(12):1650-3.
- Cardador MT, Hazan AR, Glantz SA. Tobacco industry smokers' rights publications: a content analysis. Am J Public Health. 1995 Sep; 85(9):1212-7.
- Glantz SA. Tobacco, history, and the AMA. Lancet. 1995 Aug 19; 346(8973):510.
- Barnes DE, Hanauer P, Slade J, Bero LA, Glantz SA. Environmental tobacco smoke. The Brown and Williamson documents. JAMA. 1995 Jul 19; 274(3):248-53.
- Hanauer P, Slade J, Barnes DE, Bero L, Glantz SA. Lawyer control of internal scientific research to protect against products liability lawsuits. The Brown and Williamson documents. JAMA. 1995 Jul 19; 274(3):234-40.
- Bero L, Barnes DE, Hanauer P, Slade J, Glantz SA. Lawyer control of the tobacco industry's external research program. The Brown and Williamson documents. JAMA. 1995 Jul 19; 274(3):241-7.
- Slade J, Bero LA, Hanauer P, Barnes DE, Glantz SA. Nicotine and addiction. The Brown and Williamson documents. JAMA. 1995 Jul 19; 274(3):225-33.
- Glantz SA, Barnes DE, Bero L, Hanauer P, Slade J. Looking through a keyhole at the tobacco industry. The Brown and Williamson documents. JAMA. 1995 Jul 19; 274(3):219-24.
- Glantz S, Schaff E, Campbell-Heider N, Glantz JC, Bartlett M. Contraceptive implant use among inner city teens. J Adolesc Health. 1995 May; 16(5):389-95.
- Takano H, Glantz SA. Left ventricular contractility predicts how the end-diastolic pressure-volume relation shifts during pacing-induced ischemia in dogs. Circulation. 1995 May 01; 91(9):2423-34.
- Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Passive smoking and heart disease. Mechanisms and risk. JAMA. 1995 Apr 05; 273(13):1047-53.
- Takano H, Glantz SA. Gadolinium attenuates the upward shift of the left ventricular diastolic pressure-volume relation during pacing-induced ischemia in dogs. Circulation. 1995 Mar 01; 91(5):1575-87.
- Hazan AR, Glantz SA. Current trends in tobacco use on prime-time fictional television. Am J Public Health. 1995 Jan; 85(1):116-7.
- Glantz SA, Begay ME. Tobacco industry campaign contributions are affecting tobacco control policymaking in California. JAMA. 1994 Oct 19; 272(15):1176-82.
- Bero LA, Glantz SA, Rennie D. Publication bias and public health policy on environmental tobacco smoke. JAMA. 1994 Jul 13; 272(2):133-6.
- Glantz SA, Bero LA. Inappropriate and appropriate selection of 'peers' in grant review. JAMA. 1994 Jul 13; 272(2):114-6.
- Glantz SA, Smith LR. The effect of ordinances requiring smoke-free restaurants on restaurant sales. Am J Public Health. 1994 Jul; 84(7):1081-5.
- Hazan AR, Lipton HL, Glantz SA. Popular films do not reflect current tobacco use. Am J Public Health. 1994 Jun; 84(6):998-1000.
- Sun YP, Zhu BQ, Sievers RE, Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Metoprolol does not attenuate atherosclerosis in lipid-fed rabbits exposed to environmental tobacco smoke. Circulation. 1994 May; 89(5):2260-5.
- Shintani H, Glantz SA. Influence of filling on left ventricular diastolic pressure-volume curve during pacing ischemia in dogs. Am J Physiol. 1994 Apr; 266(4 Pt 2):H1373-85.
- Glantz SA. Actual causes of death in the United States. JAMA. 1994 Mar 02; 271(9):660; author reply 660-1.
- Zhu BQ, Sun YP, Sievers RE, Glantz SA, Parmley WW, Wolfe CL. Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke increases myocardial infarct size in rats. Circulation. 1994 Mar; 89(3):1282-90.
- Becker DM, Windsor R, Ockene JK, Berman B, Best JA, Cummings KM, Glantz S, Haynes S, Henningfield J, Novotny TE. Setting the policy, education, and research agenda to reduce tobacco use. Workshop I. AHA Prevention Conference III. Behavior change and compliance: keys to improving cardiovascular health. Circulation. 1993 Sep; 88(3):1381-6.
- Begay ME, Traynor M, Glantz SA. The tobacco industry, state politics, and tobacco education in California. Am J Public Health. 1993 Sep; 83(9):1214-21.
- Traynor MP, Begay ME, Glantz SA. New tobacco industry strategy to prevent local tobacco control. JAMA. 1993 Jul 28; 270(4):479-86.
- Nguyen TN, Chagas AC, Glantz SA. Left ventricular adaptation to gradual renovascular hypertension in dogs. Am J Physiol. 1993 Jul; 265(1 Pt 2):H22-38.
- Woodruff TJ, Rosbrook B, Pierce J, Glantz SA. Lower levels of cigarette consumption found in smoke-free workplaces in California. Arch Intern Med. 1993 Jun 28; 153(12):1485-93.
- Shintani H, Glantz SA. Effect of disrupting the mitral apparatus on left ventricular function in dogs. Circulation. 1993 Jun; 87(6):2001-15.
- Glantz SA. Heart disease and the environment. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1993 May; 21(6):1473-4.
- Milstein JM, Glantz SA. Mechanically increased right ventricular afterload alters left ventricular configuration, not contractility, in neonatal lambs. Pediatr Res. 1993 Apr; 33(4 Pt 1):359-64.
- Glantz SA. It is all in the numbers. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1993 Mar 01; 21(3):835-7.
- Glantz SA. Removing the incentive to sell kids tobacco. A proposal. JAMA. 1993 Feb 10; 269(6):793-4.
- Nguyen TN, Glantz SA. Floating axis does not reduce motion artifacts in a model of left ventricular wall motion in dogs. Am J Physiol. 1993 Feb; 264(2 Pt 2):H631-8.
- Zhu BQ, Sun YP, Sievers RE, Isenberg WM, Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Passive smoking increases experimental atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed rabbits. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1993 Jan; 21(1):225-32.
- Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Passive smoking causes heart disease and lung cancer. J Clin Epidemiol. 1992 Aug; 45(8):815-9.
- Samuels BE, Begay ME, Hazan AR, Glantz SA. Philip Morris's failed experiment in Pittsburgh. J Health Polit Policy Law. 1992; 17(2):329-51.
- Samuels B, Glantz SA. The politics of local tobacco control. JAMA. 1991 Oct 16; 266(15):2110-7.
- Ohtani M, Nikolic SD, Glantz SA. A new approach to in situ left ventricular volume clamping in dogs. Am J Physiol. 1991 Oct; 261(4 Pt 2):H1335-43.
- Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Passive smoking and heart disease. Epidemiology, physiology, and biochemistry. Circulation. 1991 Jan; 83(1):1-12.
- Appleyard RF, Glantz SA. Pulmonary model to predict the effects of series ventricular interaction. Circ Res. 1990 Nov; 67(5):1225-37.
- Glantz SA. A method to estimate the point at which two lines intersect from noisy data. Am J Physiol. 1990 Oct; 259(4 Pt 2):H1305-6.
- Stillman FA, Becker DM, Swank RT, Hantula D, Moses H, Glantz S, Waranch HR. Ending smoking at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. An evaluation of smoking prevalence and indoor air pollution. JAMA. 1990 Sep 26; 264(12):1565-9.
- Glantz SA, Boltwood CM, Appleyard RF, Applegate RJ, Cheng CP, Little WC. Volume conductance catheter. Circulation. 1990 Jun; 81(6):2028.
- Slinker BK, Glantz SA. Missing data in two-way analysis of variance. Am J Physiol. 1990 Feb; 258(2 Pt 2):R291-7.
- Appleyard RF, Glantz SA. Two dimensions describe left ventricular volume change during hemodynamic transients. Am J Physiol. 1990 Jan; 258(1 Pt 2):H277-84.
- Boltwood CM, Appleyard RF, Glantz SA. Left ventricular volume measurement by conductance catheter in intact dogs. Parallel conductance volume depends on left ventricular size. Circulation. 1989 Nov; 80(5):1360-77.
- Glantz SA. Financial impact of animal regulation. Science. 1989 Jun 30; 244(4912):1531.
- Gilbert JC, Glantz SA. Determinants of left ventricular filling and of the diastolic pressure-volume relation. Circ Res. 1989 May; 64(5):827-52.
- Slinker BK, Glantz SA. Beat-to-beat regulation of left ventricular function in the intact cardiovascular system. Am J Physiol. 1989 Apr; 256(4 Pt 2):R962-75.
- Glantz SA, Stromberg D. Public attitudes regarding smokefree airlines. Am J Public Health. 1988 Oct; 78(10):1366.
- Slinker BK, Glantz SA. Multiple linear regression is a useful alternative to traditional analyses of variance. Am J Physiol. 1988 Sep; 255(3 Pt 2):R353-67.
- Chagas AC, Glantz SA. Angiographic validation of eigenvolume to measure left ventricular size. Circ Res. 1988 Jun; 62(6):1237-46.
- Glantz SA. Achieving a smokefree society. Circulation. 1987 Oct; 76(4):746-52.
- Slinker BK, Chagas AC, Glantz SA. Chronic pressure overload hypertrophy decreases direct ventricular interaction. Am J Physiol. 1987 Aug; 253(2 Pt 2):H347-57.
- Glantz SA. Passive smoking. N Z Med J. 1987 Jun 10; 100(825):358.
- Florenzano F, Glantz SA. Left ventricular mechanical adaptation to chronic aortic regurgitation in intact dogs. Am J Physiol. 1987 May; 252(5 Pt 2):H969-84.
- Glantz SA. Passive smoking. N Z Med J. 1987 Feb 11; 100(817):85.
- Tye JB, Warner KE, Glantz SA. Tobacco advertising and consumption: evidence of a causal relationship. J Public Health Policy. 1987; 8(4):492-508.
- Slinker BK, Glantz SA. End-systolic and end-diastolic ventricular interaction. Am J Physiol. 1986 Nov; 251(5 Pt 2):H1062-75.
- Calvin JE, Baer RW, Glantz SA. Pulmonary injury depresses cardiac systolic function through Starling mechanism. Am J Physiol. 1986 Oct; 251(4 Pt 2):H722-33.
- Slinker BK, Glantz SA. Multiple regression for physiological data analysis: the problem of multicollinearity. Am J Physiol. 1985 Jul; 249(1 Pt 2):R1-12.
- Hannaford B, Glantz SA. Adaptive linear predictor tracks implanted radiopaque markers. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 1985 Feb; 32(2):117-25.
- Slinker BK, Glantz SA. The accuracy of inferring left ventricular volume from dimension depends on the frequency of information needed to answer a given question. Circ Res. 1985 Feb; 56(2):161-74.
- Calvin JE, Baer RW, Glantz SA. Pulmonary artery constriction produces a greater right ventricular dynamic afterload than lung microvascular injury in the open chest dog. Circ Res. 1985 Jan; 56(1):40-56.
- Glantz SA. What to do because evidence links involuntary (passive) smoking with lung cancer. West J Med. 1984 Apr; 140(4):636-7.
- Giammona M, Glantz SA. Poor statistical design in research on humans: the role of committees on human research. Clin Res. 1983 Dec; 31(5):572-8.
- Sacks ST, Glantz SA. Introduction to biostatistics. An annotated bibliography for medical researchers. West J Med. 1983 Nov; 139(5):723-9.
- Grover M, Glantz SA. Endocardial pacing site affects left ventricular end-diastolic volume and performance in the intact anesthetized dog. Circ Res. 1983 Jul; 53(1):72-85.
- Linderer T, Chatterjee K, Parmley WW, Sievers RE, Glantz SA, Tyberg JV. Influence of atrial systole on the Frank-Starling relation and the end-diastolic pressure-diameter relation of the left ventricle. Circulation. 1983 May; 67(5):1045-53.
- Walley KR, Grover M, Raff GL, Benge JW, Hannaford B, Glantz SA. Left ventricular dynamic geometry in the intact and open chest dog. Circ Res. 1982 Apr; 50(4):573-89.
- Battagin RL, Glantz SA. Multiplexer displays two pressure signals on single oscilloscope channel. Am J Physiol. 1982 Feb; 242(2):H288-90.
- Raff GL, Glantz SA. Volume loading slows left ventricular isovolumic relaxation rate. Evidence of load-dependent relaxation in the intact dog heart. Circ Res. 1981 Jun; 48(6 Pt 1):813-24.
- Davis PL, Raff GL, Glantz SA. A method to identify implanted radiopaque markers despite rotation of the heart. Am J Physiol. 1980 Oct; 239(4):H573-H580.
- Wilkinson PL, Stowe DF, Glantz SA, Tyberg JV. Heart rate-systemic blood pressure relationship in dogs during halothane anesthesia. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1980 Jun; 24(3):181-6.
- Glantz SA. Computing indices of diastolic stiffness has been counterproductive. Fed Proc. 1980 Feb; 39(2):162-8.
- Glantz SA. Biostatistics: how to detect, correct and prevent errors in the medical literature. Circulation. 1980 Jan; 61(1):1-7.
- Misbach GA, Glantz SA. Changes in the diastolic pressure-diameter relation after ventricular function curves. Am J Physiol. 1979 Dec; 237(6):H644-8.
- Tyberg JV, Misbach GA, Glantz SA. Altered left ventricular diastolic properties. Circulation. 1979 Aug; 60(2):461-3.
- Gelberg HJ, Brundage BH, Glantz S, Parmley WW. Quantitative left ventricular wall motion analysis: a comparison of area, chord and radial methods. Circulation. 1979 May; 59(5):991-1000.
- Glantz SA, Tyberg JV. Determination of frequency response from step response: application to fluid-filled catheters. Am J Physiol. 1979 Feb; 236(2):H376-8.
- S. Glantz. Mathematics for Biomedical Applications. 1979.
- Tyberg JV, Misbach GA, Glantz SA, Moores WY, Parmley WW. A mechanism for shifts in the diastolic, left ventricular, pressure-volume curve: the role of the pericardium. Eur J Cardiol. 1978 Jun; 7 Suppl:163-75.
- Stowe DF, Mathey DG, Moores WY, Glantz SA, Townsend RM, Kabra P, Chatterjee K, Parmley WW, Tyberg JV. Segment stroke work and metabolism depend on coronary blood flow in the pig. Am J Physiol. 1978 May; 234(5):H597-607.
- Glantz SA, Misbach GA, Moores WY, Mathey DG, Lekven J, Stowe DF, Parmley WW, Tyberg JV. The pericardium substantially affects the left ventricular diastolic pressure-volume relationship in the dog. Circ Res. 1978 Mar; 42(3):433-41.
- Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Factors which affect the diastolic pressure-volume curve. Circ Res. 1978 Feb; 42(2):171-80.
- Misbach GA, Glantz SA, Tyberg JV, Moores WY. Improved compliance and ventricular function curves after open-heart surgery: role of the pericardium. Surg Forum. 1978; 29:251-3.
- Glantz SA. A three-element description for muscle with viscoelastic passive elements. J Biomech. 1977; 10(1):5-20.
- Parmley WW, Tyberg JV, Glantz SA. Cardiac dynamics. Annu Rev Physiol. 1977; 39:277-99.
- Glantz SA. Ventricular pressure-volume curve indices change with end-diastolic pressure. Circ Res. 1976 Dec; 39(6):772-8.
- Alderman EL, Glantz SA. Acute hemodynamic interventions shift the diastolic pressure-volume curve in man. Circulation. 1976 Oct; 54(4):662-71.
- Glantz SA, Kernoff R, Goldman RH. Age-related changes in ouabain pharmacology. Ouabain exhibits a different volume of distribution in adult and young dogs. Circ Res. 1976 Sep; 39(3):407-14.
- Parmley WW, Chuck L, Chatterjee K, Swan HJ, Klausner C, Glantz SA. Acute changes in the diastolic pressure-volume relationship of the left ventricle. Eur J Cardiol. 1976 May; 4 Suppl:105-20.
- Glantz SA, Luetscher JA, Day RP, Perloff M. A compartment description for cortisol secretion, distribution, binding, and metabolism in man. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 1976 Jan; 23(1):36-44.
- Glantz SA, Kernoff RS. Muscle stiffness determined from canine left ventricular pressure-volume curves. Circ Res. 1975 Dec; 37(6):787-94.
- Winkle RA, Glantz SA, Harrison DC. Pharmacologic therapy of ventricular arrhythmias. Am J Cardiol. 1975 Oct 31; 36(5):629-50.
- Glantz SA, Albers NV. Letters to the editor. Science. 1975 May 16; 188(4189):680-3.
- Glantz SA. A three-element model describes excised cat papillary muscle elasticity. Am J Physiol. 1975 Jan; 228(1):284-94.
- Glantz SA, Albers NV. Department of defense R & d in the university. Science. 1974 Nov 22; 186(4165):706-11.
- Glantz SA. A constitutive equation for the passive properties of muscle. J Biomech. 1974 Mar; 7(2):137-45.
- Glantz SA, Mirsky I. Letter: Ventricular stiffness. Circ Res. 1974 Jan; 34(1):123-4.