Mitchell D. Feldman, MD
1545 Divisadero Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
HONORS AND AWARDS:
2011 – 2012 Fulbright Research Scholar, Kyoto University, Japan
2010 Excellence in Research, Crede Award, DGIM, Nominee
2010 Nominee, AOA Honor Society, UCSF Medical School Class of 2008
2008 Excellence in Teaching, Crede Award, DGIM, Nominee
2007 Outstanding Clinical Teaching Award, Nominee, UCSF School of Medicine
2006 Co-author of Best Published Research Paper of the Year, Society of General Internal Medicine, Awarded at the April 2006 Annual Meeting
2006 "Article of the Year" Award, Academy Health, June 2006 Annual Meeting
2006 Excellence in Clinical Research, Crede Award Nominee. Division of General Internal Medicine, UCSF
2003 Clinician-Educator of the Year Award, Society of General Internal Medicine California Region
1999 Research Fellow, The Japan Foundation
1998 National Award for Innovation in Medical Education, Society of General Internal Medicine, Presented at the Annual Meeting
1997 Robert H. Crede Award for Excellence in Teaching, Division of General Internal Medicine
1982 Earle C. Anthony Fellowship, UCSF
1978 Phi Beta Kappa, Johns Hopkins University
2011 Visiting Professor, MD Anderson, Houston, Texas
2010 Visiting Professor, Columbia University School of Medicine, New York, New York
2010 Visiting Professor, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York
2010 Visiting Professor, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina
2010 Visiting Professor, Kyoto University School of Medicine and School of Public Health, Kyoto, Japan
2010 Visiting Professor, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah
Mitchell D. Feldman, MD, MPhil obtained his B.A. from The Johns Hopkins University, an MPhil in social anthropology from Cambridge University, England and his MD and Internal Medicine Residency training at the University of California, San Francisco where he is Professor of Medicine. Dr Feldman is Associate Vice Provost, Faculty Mentoring, Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs; Co-Director, Mentor Development Program of the Clinical and Translational Science Institute, UCSF; and co-Director of the UCSF Depression Center. Dr Feldman's current research is focused on mentoring in academic medicine and on psychiatric and behavioral issues in medical patients. Dr Feldman's other area of research interest is in the clinical and economic barriers to high-quality depression treatment in primary care. As principal investigator of the UCSF site of the Robert Wood Johnson national demonstration project "Depression in Primary Care", Dr Feldman and colleagues addressed the structural and financial barriers dictated by the mental health carve-out arrangement through an innovative economic and clinical partnership. He has been especially interested in examining the influence of patient prompts on physician behavior. He was co-investigator (and UCSF site PI) of an NIMH funded multicenter randomized trial of 150 primary care physicians that studied the impact of direct-to-consumer advertising and patient requests on physician's evaluation and treatment of patients with depressive symptoms. The lead manuscript from this project was recognized as the best research paper of the year by Academy Health and the Society of General Internal Medicine. Dr. Feldman was lead author on another analysis from this project investigating screening for suicide in patients with depression. This manuscript received widespread attention for highlighting that primary care physicians fail to screen for suicidality in the majority of depressed outpatients. He is currently extending this work with additional support from NIMH to develop targeted educational messages designed to reduce stigma and promote effective participation in care among adults at risk for depression.Dr Feldman is also the co-editor of the text Behavioral Medicine: A Guide for Clinical Practice (McGraw-Hill). He was recently named co-editor in chief of the Journal of General Internal Medicine.
Related Web Sites
In the News
- Guiding Medical Students on the Path to Success (Jan 28, 2013)
- Scientist Arthur Weiss Praised for Lifetime Achievement in Mentoring (Jul 12, 2012)
Recent Articles (102)
- Feldman MD, Kramer-Feldman JA. Medical Education Then and Now. J Gen Intern Med. 2017 Sep 05.
- Feldman MD. What's in a Name? : Is it time to retire the term "Primary Care Physician"? J Gen Intern Med. 2017 Jul 06.
- Greene J, Feldman MD. International Perspectives on General Internal Medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2017 May; 32(5):493-494.
- Kravitz RL, Feldman MD. Reinventing Primary Care: Embracing Change, Preserving Relationships. J Gen Intern Med. 2017 Apr; 32(4):369-370.
- Wilkes M, Feldman MD. Mentoring clinical trainees: a need for high touch. Lancet. 2017 01 14; 389(10065):135-137.
- Feldman MD, Kravitz RL. Peer Review at JGIM. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Dec; 31(12):1401-1407.
- Feldman MD. Guns, Doctors and Public Health. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Oct; 31(10):1109-10.
- Feldman MD. Getting to the 'Why' of Behavior Change. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Aug; 31(8):819-20.
- Feldman MD. Chronic Pain and Prescription Drug Use and Abuse: Emerging Research in General Internal Medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 May; 31(5):451-2.
- Feldman MD. International Perspectives on General Internal Medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Mar; 31(3):259.
- Eisendrath SJ, Gillung E, Delucchi KL, Segal ZV, Nelson JC, McInnes LA, Mathalon DH, Feldman MD. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Treatment-Resistant Depression. Psychother Psychosom. 2016; 85(2):99-110.
- Kravitz RL, Feldman MD. Rumors of the Demise of Peer Review are Premature. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Dec; 30(12):1717-21.
- Feldman MD. Leading the Way in Health Disparities Research. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Nov; 30(11):1569.
- Feldman MD. Don't Believe Everything You Think. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Jul; 30(7):867.
- Feldman MD, Feldman EA, Feldman S. Expanding long-term care options for persons with serious mental illness. JAMA. 2015 May 05; 313(17):1756-7.
- Feldman MD. A failure to communicate. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Apr; 30(4):379-80.
- Sakushima K, Mishina H, Fukuhara S, Sada K, Koizumi J, Sugioka T, Kobayashi N, Nishimura M, Mori J, Makino H, Feldman MD. Mentoring the next generation of physician-scientists in Japan: a cross-sectional survey of mentees in six academic medical centers. BMC Med Educ. 2015 Mar 19; 15:54.
- Henry SG, Jerant A, Iosif AM, Feldman MD, Cipri C, Kravitz RL. Analysis of threats to research validity introduced by audio recording clinic visits: Selection bias, Hawthorne effect, both, or neither? Patient Educ Couns. 2015 Jul; 98(7):849-56.
- Feldman MD. Maintaining competence in general internal medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Feb; 30(2):143-4.
- Techasrivichien T, Darawuttimaprakorn N, Punpuing S, Musumari PM, Lukhele BW, El-Saaidi C, Suguimoto SP, Feldman MD, Ono-Kihara M, Kihara M. Changes in Sexual Behavior and Attitudes Across Generations and Gender Among a Population-Based Probability Sample From an Urbanizing Province in Thailand. Arch Sex Behav. 2016 Feb; 45(2):367-82.
- Fenton JJ, Franks P, Feldman MD, Jerant A, Henry SG, Paterniti DA, Kravitz RL. Impact of patient requests on provider-perceived visit difficulty in primary care. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Feb; 30(2):214-20.
- Jerant A, Kravitz RL, Fernandez Y Garcia E, Feldman MD, Cipri C, Nishio D, Knoepfler A, Wooddell MK, Baquero V, Franks P. Potential antidepressant overtreatment associated with office use of brief depression symptom measures. J Am Board Fam Med. 2014 Sep-Oct; 27(5):611-20.
- Shah R, Franks P, Jerant A, Feldman M, Duberstein P, Fernandez y Garcia E, Hinton L, Strohecker L, Kravitz RL. The effect of targeted and tailored patient depression engagement interventions on patient-physician discussion of suicidal thoughts: a randomized control trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2014 Aug; 29(8):1148-54.
- Eisendrath SJ, Gillung EP, Delucchi KL, Chartier M, Mathalon DH, Sullivan JC, Segal ZV, Feldman MD. Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) versus the health-enhancement program (HEP) for adults with treatment-resistant depression: a randomized control trial study protocol. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014 Mar 11; 14:95.
- Feldman MD, Kravitz RL. Peer review: the year in review. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Dec; 28(12):1535-44.
- Kravitz RL, Franks P, Feldman MD, Tancredi DJ, Slee CA, Epstein RM, Duberstein PR, Bell RA, Jackson-Triche M, Paterniti DA, Cipri C, Iosif AM, Olson S, Kelly-Reif S, Hudnut A, Dvorak S, Turner C, Jerant A. Patient engagement programs for recognition and initial treatment of depression in primary care: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2013 Nov 06; 310(17):1818-28.
- Feldman MD. Screening for intimate partner violence: the time is now. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Oct; 28(10):1251-2.
- Tokuda Y, Feldman MD. Direct to consumer unproved screening tests turn a profit in Japan. BMJ. 2013 Jul 30; 347:f4725.
- Kravitz RL, Feldman MD. Getting back to basics. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Jul; 28(7):859.
- Kravitz RL, Feldman MD. General internal medicine as an engine of innovation. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Jun; 28(6):749-50.
- Tancredi DJ, Slee CK, Jerant A, Franks P, Nettiksimmons J, Cipri C, Gottfeld D, Huerta J, Feldman MD, Jackson-Triche M, Kelly-Reif S, Hudnut A, Olson S, Shelton J, Kravitz RL. Targeted versus tailored multimedia patient engagement to enhance depression recognition and treatment in primary care: randomized controlled trial protocol for the AMEP2 study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013 Apr 17; 13:141.
- Feldman MD, Feldman S. The primary care behaviorist: a new approach to medical/behavioral integration. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Mar; 28(3):331-2.
- Musumari PM, Feldman MD, Techasrivichien T, Wouters E, Ono-Kihara M, Kihara M. "If I have nothing to eat, I get angry and push the pills bottle away from me": A qualitative study of patient determinants of adherence to antiretroviral therapy in the Democratic Republic of Congo. AIDS Care. 2013; 25(10):1271-7.
- Straus SE, Johnson MO, Marquez C, Feldman MD. Characteristics of successful and failed mentoring relationships: a qualitative study across two academic health centers. Acad Med. 2013 Jan; 88(1):82-9.
- Feldman MD, Kravitz RL. Peer review: looking back, looking forward. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 Dec; 27(12):1573-9.
- Feldman MD. All in a day's work: establishing rapport, making decisions, reducing disparities. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 Oct; 27(10):1231-2.
- Feldman MD, Steinauer JE, Khalili M, Huang L, Kahn JS, Lee KA, Creasman J, Brown JS. A mentor development program for clinical translational science faculty leads to sustained, improved confidence in mentoring skills. Clin Transl Sci. 2012 Aug; 5(4):362-7.
- Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: Growing old in America: lessons from our Japanese obaachan. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 May; 27(5):483-4.
- Hayashino Y, Utsugi-Ozaki M, Feldman MD, Fukuhara S. Hope modified the association between distress and incidence of self-perceived medical errors among practicing physicians: prospective cohort study. PLoS One. 2012; 7(4):e35585.
- Suguimoto SP, Ono-Kihara M, Feldman MD, Kihara M. Latin American immigrants have limited access to health insurance in Japan: a cross sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2012 Mar 25; 12:238.
- Feldman MD, Berkowitz SA. Role of behavioral medicine in primary care. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2012 Mar; 25(2):121-7.
- Berkowitz SA, Bell RA, Kravitz RL, Feldman MD. Vicarious experience affects patients' treatment preferences for depression. PLoS One. 2012; 7(2):e31269.
- Abedin Z, Biskup E, Silet K, Garbutt JM, Kroenke K, Feldman MD, McGee R, Fleming M, Pincus HA. Deriving competencies for mentors of clinical and translational scholars. Clin Transl Sci. 2012 Jun; 5(3):273-80.
- Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: realizing the dream: mentorship in academic medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 Jan; 27(1):1-2.
- Kravitz RL, Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: peer review now and in the future. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Dec; 26(12):1385-90.
- Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: religion, health and cucumbers. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Nov; 26(11):1237-8.
- Bell RA, Franks P, Duberstein PR, Epstein RM, Feldman MD, Fernandez y Garcia E, Kravitz RL. Suffering in silence: reasons for not disclosing depression in primary care. Ann Fam Med. 2011 Sep-Oct; 9(5):439-46.
- Srinivasan M, Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: valuing health and primary care. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Sep; 26(9):947.
- Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: physician heal thyself. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Aug; 26(8):823.
- Shea JA, Stern DT, Klotman PE, Clayton CP, O'Hara JL, Feldman MD, Griendling KK, Moss M, Straus SE, Jagsi R. Career development of physician scientists: a survey of leaders in academic medicine. Am J Med. 2011 Aug; 124(8):779-87.
- Kravitz RL, Feldman MD, Alexander GC. From the editors' desk: The July effect. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Jul; 26(7):677.
- Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: challenging problems, challenging patients. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Jun; 26(6):567.
- Cho CS, Ramanan RA, Feldman MD. Defining the ideal qualities of mentorship: a qualitative analysis of the characteristics of outstanding mentors. Am J Med. 2011 May; 124(5):453-8.
- Srinivasan M, Feldman MD. From the editor's desk: the clustering of America, and the conundrum of caring for the complex adult. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 May; 26(5):459.
- Feldman MD, Kravitz RL. From the editors' desk: decisions, decisions. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Apr; 26(4):353.
- Kravitz RL, Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: disparities near and far. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Mar; 26(3):229.
- Feldman MD, Kravitz RL. Journal of General Internal Medicine. From the editor's desk: our paper anniversary. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Dec; 25(12):1259-65.
- Kravitz RL, Feldman MD. From the Editors' Desk: Self-Plagiarism and Other Editorial Crimes and Misdemeanors. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Nov 09.
- Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: what you don't know could hurt you. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Nov; 25(11):1139.
- Kravitz RL, Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: confronting costs of care at the end of life. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Oct; 25(10):997.
- Cauley KD, Feldman MD. Is all that fluctuates delirium? J R Soc Med. 2010 Sep; 103(9):376-8.
- Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: patient autonomy and medical decisions: getting it just right. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Jul; 25(7):639.
- Kravitz RL, Paterniti DA, Epstein RM, Rochlen AB, Bell RA, Cipri C, Fernandez y Garcia E, Feldman MD, Duberstein P. Relational barriers to depression help-seeking in primary care. Patient Educ Couns. 2011 Feb; 82(2):207-13.
- Epstein RM, Duberstein PR, Feldman MD, Rochlen AB, Bell RA, Kravitz RL, Cipri C, Becker JD, Bamonti PM, Paterniti DA. "I didn't know what was wrong:" how people with undiagnosed depression recognize, name and explain their distress. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Sep; 25(9):954-61.
- Feldman MD, Arean PA, Marshall SJ, Lovett M, O'Sullivan P. Does mentoring matter: results from a survey of faculty mentees at a large health sciences university. Med Educ Online. 2010 Apr 23; 15.
- Kravitz RL, Franks P, Feldman MD, Gerrity M, Byrne C, Tierney WM. Editorial peer reviewers' recommendations at a general medical journal: are they reliable and do editors care? PLoS One. 2010 Apr 08; 5(4):e10072.
- Rosenbloom MH, Finley R, Scheinman MM, Feldman MD, Miller BL, Rabinovici GD. Donepezil-associated bradyarrhythmia in a patient with dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB). Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2010 Apr-Jun; 24(2):209-11.
- Srinivasan M, Feldman MD. From the Editor's desk: legislating change. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Mar; 25(3):173.
- Feldman MD, Petersen AJ, Tice JA. "On the other hand ...": the evidence does not support the use of hand-carried ultrasound by hospitalists. J Hosp Med. 2010 Mar; 5(3):168-71.
- Heisel MJ, Duberstein PR, Lyness JM, Feldman MD. Screening for suicide ideation among older primary care patients. J Am Board Fam Med. 2010 Mar-Apr; 23(2):260-9.
- Johnson MO, Subak LL, Brown JS, Lee KA, Feldman MD. An innovative program to train health sciences researchers to be effective clinical and translational research mentors. Acad Med. 2010 Mar; 85(3):484-9.
- Kravitz RL, Feldman MD. From the editors' desk: the science and politics of screening. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Feb; 25(2):99.
- Feldman MD, Kravitz RL. From the editors' desk. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Jan; 25(1):1-2.
- Feldman MD, Huang L, Guglielmo BJ, Jordan R, Kahn J, Creasman JM, Wiener-Kronish JP, Lee KA, Tehrani A, Yaffe K, Brown JS. Training the next generation of research mentors: the University of California, San Francisco, Clinical & Translational Science Institute Mentor Development Program. Clin Transl Sci. 2009 Jun; 2(3):216-21.
- Whooley MA, de Jonge P, Vittinghoff E, Otte C, Moos R, Carney RM, Ali S, Dowray S, Na B, Feldman MD, Schiller NB, Browner WS. Depressive symptoms, health behaviors, and risk of cardiovascular events in patients with coronary heart disease. JAMA. 2008 Nov 26; 300(20):2379-88.
- Tice JA, Karliner L, Walsh J, Petersen AJ, Feldman MD. Gastric banding or bypass? A systematic review comparing the two most popular bariatric procedures. Am J Med. 2008 Oct; 121(10):885-93.
- Young HN, Bell RA, Epstein RM, Feldman MD, Kravitz RL. Physicians' shared decision-making behaviors in depression care. Arch Intern Med. 2008 Jul 14; 168(13):1404-8.
- Feldman MD, Miner ID. Factitious Usher syndrome: a new type of factitious disorder. Medscape J Med. 2008 Jun 30; 10(6):153.
- Feldman MD, Petersen AJ, Karliner LS, Tice JA. Who is responsible for evaluating the safety and effectiveness of medical devices? The role of independent technology assessment. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Jan; 23 Suppl 1:57-63.
- Tice JA, Hoffman RM, Steiner C, Feldman MD. Introduction: new medical device technologies. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Jan; 23 Suppl 1:1.
- Feldman MD, Franks P, Duberstein PR, Vannoy S, Epstein R, Kravitz RL. Let's not talk about it: suicide inquiry in primary care. Ann Fam Med. 2007 Sep-Oct; 5(5):412-8.
- Tice JA, Feldman MD. Full-field digital mammography compared with screen-film mammography in the detection of breast cancer: rays of light through DMIST or more fog? Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008 Jan; 107(2):157-65.
- Epstein RM, Shields CG, Franks P, Meldrum SC, Feldman M, Kravitz RL. Exploring and validating patient concerns: relation to prescribing for depression. Ann Fam Med. 2007 Jan-Feb; 5(1):21-8.
- Mohr DC, Hart SL, Howard I, Julian L, Vella L, Catledge C, Feldman MD. Barriers to psychotherapy among depressed and nondepressed primary care patients. Ann Behav Med. 2006 Dec; 32(3):254-8.
- Feldman MD, Franks P, Epstein RM, Franz CE, Kravitz RL. Do patient requests for antidepressants enhance or hinder physicians' evaluation of depression? A randomized controlled trial. Med Care. 2006 Dec; 44(12):1107-13.
- Franz CE, Epstein R, Miller KN, Brown A, Song J, Feldman M, Franks P, Kelly-Reif S, Kravitz RL. Caught in the act? Prevalence, predictors, and consequences of physician detection of unannounced standardized patients. Health Serv Res. 2006 Dec; 41(6):2290-302.
- Young HN, Bell RA, Epstein RM, Feldman MD, Kravitz RL. Types of information physicians provide when prescribing antidepressants. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Nov; 21(11):1172-7.
- Kravitz RL, Franks P, Feldman M, Meredith LS, Hinton L, Franz C, Duberstein P, Epstein RM. What drives referral from primary care physicians to mental health specialists? A randomized trial using actors portraying depressive symptoms. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Jun; 21(6):584-9.
- Feldman MD, Ong MK, Lee DL, Perez-Stable EJ. Realigning economic incentives for depression care at UCSF. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2006 Jan; 33(1):34-8.
- Feldman MD, Areán PA, Ong MK, Lee DL, Feldman S. Economic grand rounds: incentives for primary care providers to participate in a collaborative care program for depression. Psychiatr Serv. 2005 Nov; 56(11):1344-6.
- Kravitz RL, Epstein RM, Feldman MD, Franz CE, Azari R, Wilkes MS, Hinton L, Franks P. Influence of patients' requests for direct-to-consumer advertised antidepressants: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2005 Apr 27; 293(16):1995-2002.
- Kern DE, Branch WT, Jackson JL, Brady DW, Feldman MD, Levinson W, Lipkin M. Teaching the psychosocial aspects of care in the clinical setting: practical recommendations. Acad Med. 2005 Jan; 80(1):8-20.
- Green ML, Bates C, Brady DW, Feldman MD, Babbott S. "May we live in interesting times"--Society of General Internal Medicine clinician-educators respond to new challenges in graduate medical education. J Gen Intern Med. 2004 May; 19(5 Pt 2):612-3.
- Kihara M, Kamakura M, Feldman MD. Introduction: HIV/AIDS surveillance in a new era. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2003 Feb; 32 Suppl 1:S1-2.
- Kihara M, Ono-Kihara M, Feldman MD, Ichikawa S, Hashimoto S, Eboshida A, Yamamoto T, Kamakura M. HIV/AIDS surveillance in Japan, 1984-2000. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2003 Feb; 32 Suppl 1:S55-62.
- Areán PA, Alvidrez J, Feldman M, Tong L, Shermer R. The role of provider attitudes in prescribing antidepressants to older adults: leverage points for effective provider education. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2003; 33(3):241-56.
- Gerbert B, Moe J, Caspers N, Salber P, Feldman M, Herzig K, Bronstone A. Physicians' response to victims of domestic violence: toward a model of care. Women Health. 2002; 35(2-3):1-22.
- Feldman MD. Becoming an emotionally intelligent physician. West J Med. 2001 Aug; 175(2):98.
- Kato Y, Fujii T, Mizoguchi N, Takata N, Ueda K, Feldman MD, Kayser SR. Potential interaction between ritonavir and carbamazepine. Pharmacotherapy. 2000 Jul; 20(7):851-4.
- Gerbert B, Moe J, Caspers N, Salber P, Feldman M, Herzig K, Bronstone A. Simplifying physicians' response to domestic violence. West J Med. 2000 May; 172(5):329-31.
- Feldman M. Apricot orchards: doctors and patients in Japan. West J Med. 1999 Nov-Dec; 171(5-6):388.
- Feldman MD. Sex, AIDS, and the elderly. Arch Intern Med. 1994 Jan 10; 154(1):19-20.