Catherine Lucey, MD
533 Parnassus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94117
Catherine Reinis Lucey, MD, is vice dean for education.She directs the undergraduate, graduate and continuing medical education programs of the School of Medicine and the Office of Medical Education. Dr. Lucey comes to UCSF from Ohio State University where she was vice dean for education for the College of Medicine and associate vice president for health sciences education for the Office of Health Sciences. She is a member of the AAMC MR5 committee, charged with overseeing the revision of the Medical College Admission Test process. Dr. Lucey completed her residency in internal medicine, including service as chief resident, at the UCSF-affiliated San Francisco General Hospital, after earning her medical degree from the Northwestern University School of Medicine.
Related Web Sites
In the News
- First-Ever Partners in Primary Care Summit Shares Lessons From the Field (Oct 22, 2012)
- Thousands Enroll in UCSF Online Health Courses (Sep 26, 2012)
- UCSF's CTSI Focuses on Challenges Ahead (Jul 30, 2012)
- Supreme Court Ruling a Significant Step to Improving Health in America (Jun 28, 2012)
- UCSF Takes Giant Leap Toward Improved Patient Safety, Care With Electronic Health Records (Jun 26, 2012)
- UCSF School of Medicine Leaders Explore Bioinformatics in Research, Patient Care and Education (Jan 30, 2012)
Recent Articles (31)
- Lucey CR, Navarro R, King TE. Lessons From an Educational Never Event. JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Aug 28.
- Gonzalo JD, Lucey C, Wolpaw T, Chang A. Value-Added Clinical Systems Learning Roles for Medical Students That Transform Education and Health: A Guide for Building Partnerships Between Medical Schools and Health Systems. Acad Med. 2017 May; 92(5):602-607.
- Lucey C, Levinson W, Ginsburg S. Medical Student Mistreatment. JAMA. 2016 Dec 06; 316(21):2263-2264.
- DeJong C, Lucey CR, Dudley RA. Incorporating a New Technology While Doing No Harm, Virtually. JAMA. 2015 Dec 08; 314(22):2351-2.
- Hauer KE, Boscardin C, Fulton TB, Lucey C, Oza S, Teherani A. Using a Curricular Vision to Define Entrustable Professional Activities for Medical Student Assessment. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Sep; 30(9):1344-8.
- Krok-Schoen JL, Shim R, Nagel R, Lehman J, Myers M, Lucey C, Post DM. Outcomes of a health coaching intervention delivered by medical students for older adults with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes. Gerontol Geriatr Educ. 2017 Jul-Sep; 38(3):257-270.
- Lucey CR, Golub RM. Value, social contracts, and medical education. JAMA. 2014 Dec 10; 312(22):2345-7.
- Grumbach K, Lucey CR, Johnston SC. Transforming from centers of learning to learning health systems: the challenge for academic health centers. JAMA. 2014 Mar 19; 311(11):1109-10.
- Lucey CR. Medical education: part of the problem and part of the solution. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Sep 23; 173(17):1639-43.
- Souba W, Way D, Lucey C, Sedmak D, Notestine M. Elephants in academic medicine. Acad Med. 2011 Dec; 86(12):1492-9.
- Medow MA, Lucey CR. A qualitative approach to Bayes' theorem. Evid Based Med. 2011 Dec; 16(6):163-7.
- Souba W, Notestine M, Way D, Lucey C, Yu L, Sedmak D. Do deans and teaching hospital CEOs agree on what it takes to be a successful clinical department chair? Acad Med. 2011 Aug; 86(8):974-81.
- Lesser CS, Lucey CR, Egener B, Braddock CH, Linas SL, Levinson W. A behavioral and systems view of professionalism. JAMA. 2010 Dec 22; 304(24):2732-7.
- Lipner RS, Lucey CR. Putting the secure examination to the test. JAMA. 2010 Sep 22; 304(12):1379-80.
- Clinchot DM, Lucey CR, Gabbe SG. The Ohio State University College of Medicine. Acad Med. 2010 Sep; 85(9 Suppl):S450-5.
- Lucey CR, Sedmak D, Notestine M, Souba W. Rock stars in academic medicine. Acad Med. 2010 Aug; 85(8):1269-75.
- Lucey C, Souba W. Perspective: the problem with the problem of professionalism. Acad Med. 2010 Jun; 85(6):1018-24.
- Auseon AJ, Schaal SF, Kolibash AJ, Nagel R, Lucey CR, Lewis RP. Methods of teaching and evaluating electrocardiogram interpretation skills among cardiology fellowship programs in the United States. J Electrocardiol. 2009 Jul-Aug; 42(4):339-44.
- Lucarelli M, Mastronarde J, Phillips G, Lucey C. Effect of work hour restrictions on fellows. Chest. 2007 May; 131(5):1614.
- Lucarelli MR, Lucey CR, Mastronarde JG. Survey of current practices in fellowship orientation. Respiration. 2007; 74(4):382-6.
- Holmboe ES, Bowen JL, Green M, Gregg J, DiFrancesco L, Reynolds E, Alguire P, Battinelli D, Lucey C, Duffy D. Reforming internal medicine residency training. A report from the Society of General Internal Medicine's task force for residency reform. J Gen Intern Med. 2005 Dec; 20(12):1165-72.
- Lucey CR. Promotion for clinician-educators: time for a fresh approach? J Gen Intern Med. 2003 Sep; 18(9):768-9.
- Lucey CR, Cole CA. Update in general internal medicine. Ann Intern Med. 2002 Sep 03; 137(5 Part 1):334-40.
- Gibbons RV, Landry FJ, Blouch DL, Jones DL, Williams FK, Lucey CR, Kroenke K. A comparison of physicians' and patients' attitudes toward pharmaceutical industry gifts. J Gen Intern Med. 1998 Mar; 13(3):151-4.
- Kroenke K, Omori DM, Landry FJ, Lucey CR. Bedside teaching. South Med J. 1997 Nov; 90(11):1069-74.
- Badgett RG, Lucey CR, Mulrow CD. Can the clinical examination diagnose left-sided heart failure in adults? JAMA. 1997 Jun 04; 277(21):1712-9.
- Kumar S, Lucey C. Patient privacy and secondary use of administrative databases. JAMA. 1996 Oct 09; 276(14):1137-8.
- Landry FJ, Pangaro L, Kroenke K, Lucey C, Herbers J. A controlled trial of a seminar to improve medical student attitudes toward, knowledge about, and use of the medical literature. J Gen Intern Med. 1994 Aug; 9(8):436-9.
- Mulrow CD, Lucey CR, Farnett LE. Discriminating causes of dyspnea through clinical examination. J Gen Intern Med. 1993 Jul; 8(7):383-92.
- Blatt SP, Lucey CR, Butzin CA, Hendrix CW, Lucey DR. Total lymphocyte count as a predictor of absolute CD4+ count and CD4+ percentage in HIV-infected persons. JAMA. 1993 Feb 03; 269(5):622-6.
- Farnett L, Mulrow CD, Linn WD, Lucey CR, Tuley MR. The J-curve phenomenon and the treatment of hypertension. Is there a point beyond which pressure reduction is dangerous? JAMA. 1991 Jan 23-30; 265(4):489-95.