DOM is launching a new series — Fireside Chats. These events will consist of DOM Chair Bob Wachter interviewing a prominent UCSF faculty member (or visiting professor) about her/his life in medicine. All chats will be videotaped and shown later on UCTV.
The next Fireside Chat will be held on February 9, 2018, Room M989, Parnassus. Bob Wachter will be interviewing Talmadge King, dean of the School of Medicine, and vice chancellor for medical affairs at UCSF.
Talmadge E. King, Jr., MD is Dean of the School of Medicine and Vice Chancellor-Medical Affairs at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). Dr. King is a member of the National Academy Medicine, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Association of American Physicians, the American Clinical and Climatological Association and the Fleischner Society. He is a Master of the American College of Physicians and a Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians. Dr. King is a past president of the ATS and Secretary/Treasurer of the American Board of Internal Medicine. He received the Trudeau Medal from the ATS and the Breathing for Life Award from the Foundation of the ATS. His research interest is the pathogenesis, diagnosis and management of inflammatory and immunologic lung injury. His bibliography comprises more than 300 publications. He has co-authored 11 books, including the reference book Interstitial Lung Disease, now in its 5th edition.
Upcoming Fireside Chats will include:
- Gurpreet Dhaliwal — April 30, 2018
- The first chat was held on Friday, July 7, from noon to 1 pm, in room M989 at the UCSF Parnassus campus. Bob interviewed Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo.
- The second chat was held on Friday, August 11, from noon to 1 pm, in room M989 at the UCSF Parnassus campus. Bob interviewed Lloyd Hollingsworth (Holly) Smith, MD, about his formidable and transformative career in medicine.
Dr. Lloyd "Holly" Smith - A Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare TodayA Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare Today
Premiere Date: 9/18/2017; 52 minutes
Download: Fireside Chat with Lloyd “Holly” Smith. Fireside Chats with moderator Bob Wachter. (August 11, 2017)
Lloyd “Holly” Smith Jr., MD, joined UCSF as chairman of the Department of Medicine in 1964 and led the department through a period of exceptional growth between 1964 and 1985. His leadership has directly influenced and inspired countless faculty who went on to become leaders in their fields.
- The third chat was held on Tuesday November 14, 12-1pm, from noon to 1 pm, in room M989 at the UCSF Parnassus campus. Bob interviewed Andy Josephson, Chair of the Department of Neurology at UCSF about academic medicine, the evolving science of clinical neurology, and how he combines his disparate interests into a meaningful career.
Dr. Andy Josephson, Neurologist - A Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare TodayA Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare Today
Premiere Date: 1/15/2018; 52 minutes
Biography Josephson has received numerous teaching awards at UCSF and has delivered the commencement address to our graduating medical students. He is also a recipient of the Holly Smith Award for service to the UCSF School of Medicine. He is editor of JAMA Neurology, a leading journal in the field.
Mobile Users : Podcast directions
For mobile users wanting to listen/download the podcast, there are 2 options:
- SoundCloud app: The audio podcast has been uploaded to SoundCloud. On a mobile device, you can choose to listen in browser OR select “Play on SoundCloud”. You will be prompted to the SoundCloud app. You can follow our SoundCloud account and/or listen to the DOM Fireside Chat playlist. To listen to our fireside chats later, you can open the SoundCloud app and search for “UCSF Department of Medicine”. Once followed, you can always click back to the “Following” tab to view all of our audio files.
- Podcast app on Andriod and iOS: You can click on the generic podcast app on your mobile device. Once there, search for “UCTV A Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare Today” to find the podcast.
Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo - A Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare TodayA Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare Today
Premiere Date: 7/11/2017; 48 minutes
Download: Fireside Chat with Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo.
Fireside Chats with moderator Bob Wachter. (July 7, 2017)
Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, PhD, MD, MAS is the Chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Vice Dean for Population Health and Health Equity. Dr. Bibbins-Domingo is the Lee Goldman, MD Endowed Chair in Medicine, a professor of medicine, and a professor of epidemiology and biostatistic. She is the immediate past chair of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force and the director of the UCSF Center for Vulnerable Populations at ZSFG. Her work focuses on racial, ethnic, and income differences in manifestations of chronic disease, and effective clinical, public health, and policy interventions aimed at prevention.