DOM is launching a new series — Fireside Chats. These events will consist of DOM Chair Bob Wachter interviewing a prominent UCSF faculty member (or visiting professor) about her/his life in medicine. All chats will be videotaped and shown later on UCTV.
The third Fireside Chat will be held on Tuesday November 14, 12-1pm, Room M989, Parnassus. Bob Wachter will be interviewing Andy Josephson.
Josephson has received numerous teaching awards at UCSF and has delivered the commencement address to our graduating medical students. He is also a recipient of the Holly Smith Award for service to the UCSF School of Medicine. He is editor of JAMA Neurology, a leading journal in the field.
Upcoming Fireside Chats will include:
- Andy Josephson - November 14, 2017
- Paul Volberding — January 5, 2018
- Talmadge King — February 9, 2018
- Pat Cornett — March 27, 2018
- Gurpreet Dhaliwal — April 30, 2018
- The first chat was held on Friday, July 7, from noon to 1 pm, in room M989 at the UCSF Parnassus campus. Bob interviewed Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo.
- The second chat was held on Friday, August 11, from noon to 1 pm, in room M989 at the UCSF Parnassus campus.Bob interviewed Lloyd Hollingsworth (Holly) Smith, MD, about his formidable and transformative career in medicine.
Dr. Lloyd "Holly" Smith - A Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare TodayA Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare Today
Premiere Date: 9/18/2017; 52 minutes
Download: Fireside Chat with Lloyd “Holly” Smith. Fireside Chats with moderator Bob Wachter. (August 11, 2017)
Lloyd “Holly” Smith Jr., MD, joined UCSF as chairman of the Department of Medicine in 1964 and led the department through a period of exceptional growth between 1964 and 1985. His leadership has directly influenced and inspired countless faculty who went on to become leaders in their fields.
Mobile Users : Podcast directions
For mobile users wanting to listen/download the podcast, there are 2 options:
- SoundCloud app: The audio podcast has been uploaded to SoundCloud. On a mobile device, you can choose to listen in browser OR select “Play on SoundCloud”. You will be prompted to the SoundCloud app. You can follow our SoundCloud account and/or listen to the DOM Fireside Chat playlist. To listen to our fireside chats later, you can open the SoundCloud app and search for “UCSF Department of Medicine”. Once followed, you can always click back to the “Following” tab to view all of our audio files.
- Podcast app on Andriod and iOS: You can click on the generic podcast app on your mobile device. Once there, search for “UCTV A Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare Today” to find the podcast.
Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo - A Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare TodayA Life in Medicine: People Shaping Healthcare Today
Premiere Date: 7/11/2017; 48 minutes
Download: Fireside Chat with Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo.
Fireside Chats with moderator Bob Wachter. (July 7, 2017)
Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, PhD, MD, MAS is the Chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Vice Dean for Population Health and Health Equity. Dr. Bibbins-Domingo is the Lee Goldman, MD Endowed Chair in Medicine, a professor of medicine, and a professor of epidemiology and biostatistic. She is the immediate past chair of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force and the director of the UCSF Center for Vulnerable Populations at ZSFG. Her work focuses on racial, ethnic, and income differences in manifestations of chronic disease, and effective clinical, public health, and policy interventions aimed at prevention.