History & Background
Founded in 1864 as Toland Medical College, the School of Medicine became part of the University of California in 1873. In 1898, the school moved to its present Parnassus Heights campus, on land donated by San Francisco mayor Adolph Sutro. The first UC hospital opened here in 1907, growing into Moffitt-Long Hospitals and Children's Hospital. These facilities, together with Mount Zion Hospital, now comprise the UCSF Medical Center. UCSF faculty have also treated patients and trained students at San Francisco General Hospital since the school's founding 143 years ago.
Overview of Activities
UCSF Medical Center at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), is a 600-bed academic medical center that serves as both a tertiary and quaternary referral center and a community hospital. The inpatient general medical service consists of seven teams, each admitting every fourth night and composed of an attending, one resident, 2 interns, and 0 to 3 students. All attendings are full-time UCSF faculty members; there is virtually no "private practice." There is a separate cardiology service (staffed by faculty, fellows, residents, and hospitalists), and separate bone marrow, liver, and renal transplant services. In addition, there is a 30-bed non-resident medical service at Mt. Zion hospital. There are the usual array of subspecialty consulting services, plus a general medical consulting service, a palliative care service, and a number of hospitalist-subspecialist co-management arrangements.
UCSF/Mount Zion Medical Center is approximately one mile north of the main UCSF campus and serves as a major ambulatory training site, providing continuity clinics for our residents in conjunction with the activities of faculty in the Division of General Internal Medicine. The UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Center for Excellence in Women's Health, the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine and many key ambulatory subspecialties are also located at Mount Zion.
Directions & Contacts