Systems Access and Passwords IssuesQ. How do I gain/add/modify/cancel access to PeopleSoft (Journals) and Weblinks? Answer
Q. How do I take the PeopleSoft online training for Journals? Answer
Q. I am having trouble logging in to my PeopleSoft or Weblinks account. Answer
Q. How do I gain access to RATS/Express? Answer
Q. I have an RATS/Express account but I am not able to login. Answer
Q. I am trying to access an account in Express but keep being denied. Answer
Post-Award IssuesQ. I have a PI who is moving to a different division/department. How do I change the depcode on the DPAs and/or funds? Answer
Q. I am looking for an award notice for one of my PIs. Answer
Q. When can I use 547 Source Code for online journals? Answer
Q. How do I complete Attachment E for online journals? Answer
Q. Whom should I contact to activate or inactivate speedcharts? Answer
Q. Whom should I contact for questions regarding recharges on my accounts? Answer
Q. What should I submit to the funding agency when a federal project ends? Answer
Q. How do I review a Financial Status Report for accuracy and completeness? Answer
Q. How do I submit a no-cost extension request? Answer
Q. How do I submit a fund for STOP Code application? Answer
Q. For active K awards that had excluded the rent from the IDC calculation @ proposal submission, should we be making a manual adjustment to our BSRs to include the rent as part of the IDC? This has not been changed in Weblinks thus far. Answer
Systems Access and Passwords Issues
Q. How do I gain/add/modify/cancel access to PeopleSoft (Journals) and Weblinks?
A. Ask your Division Administrator to contact Ka Man Leung, DOMs Access Administrator, 502-7368 or email@example.com. Prior to PeopleSoft requests, the user must have completed the required online training. A userid and password will be sent to the user when a new account has been created. This normally takes one to two days.
Q. How do I take the PeopleSoft online training for Journals?
A. Go to the UC Learning Center and log in using your Employee ID Number. Once in, search for PeopleSoft and then register for the Online Journal Processing course. After taking the course, you are allowed to request access to the system.
Q. I am having trouble logging in to my PeopleSoft or Weblinks account.
A. We are not able to assist with forgotten passwords or lockouts for either PeopleSoft or Weblinks. Contact the ITS Help Desk at 514-4100 option 2 for assistance.
Q. How do I gain access to RATS/Express?
A. Ask your Division Administrator to send a request to Ka Man Leung. Access is normally granted the same day.
Q. I have an RATS/Express account but I am not able to login.
A. Call or email Ka Man Leung.
Q. I am trying to access an account in Express but keep being denied.
A. Check to see that the depcode of the fund or DPA you are trying to access falls under your access privileges. If you require additional privileges, have the Division Administrator responsible for that depcode send a request to Ka Man Leung.
Q. I have a PI who is moving to a different division/department. How do I change the depcode on the DPAs and/or funds?
A. Before submitting a request, check to see what other accounts are linked to the DPA or fund and realize that any depcode change will affect all linked accounts. Also check to make sure that the account is in good fiscal health. The change request needs to be concurred by the PI, chief of the originating division, and chief/chair of the new division or department with the award number indicated in the subject line. The request is sent to RAS Set-up Team at CGAwardTeam@ucsf.edu.
Q. I am looking for an award notice for one of my PIs.
A. All award notices are sent to RFAs at the time of receipt in Central Administration. The P.I. receives the notice of award directly from OSR. If you do not have a copy of the award notice, first check PeopleSoft and/or the RFA previously responsible for managing the award. You can also contact Contracts & Grants for a copy.
Q. When can I use 547 Source Code for online journals?
A. Source code 547 was established to accommodate cost transfers that, for the most part, are not transaction specific. The following transactions represent permissible use of source code 547:
- Transfer of exceptional payroll cost/expense, including vacation accrual, between fund years within the same DPA and fund.
- One-time closing of a sponsored fund with a true overdraft (deficit) to a departmental unrestricted fund using a lump sum transfer (requires the use of NCA 437691 – Sponsored Deficit Transfer).
- Transfer of equipment transactions due to 'open item' implications.
Q. How do I complete Attachment E for online journals?
A. Attachment E provides the justification of why expenses are being appropriately moved to the account that is indicated. Essentially, the sponsor wants to know why they are now being charged the expenses they were not being charged before. Use detailed reasons, including how the expense benefits the expended fund and the scientific impact, if any. Ask for material from your PI, if needed. Attachment E is completed based on the type of funds impacted by the transfer:
- Federal funds – All sections must be completed and the principal investigator or a higher academic official of the department or school must sign the "Principal Investigator Certification" with some exceptions (e.g., transfer is between fund years or NCA's of a single fund resulting in a net zero assessment to the fund).
- Nonfederal government funds - Attachment E must be completed for sections 1 and 2, except the academic certification requirement.
- Non-government funds - Indicate "N/A" in the three sections of Attachment E and process the journal.
Q. Whom should I contact to activate or inactivate speedcharts?
A. Once a Department Fund and DPA (Fund year and/or Program Code, if applicable) are established and coupled in the Accounting Fund Profile (AFP) by Extramural Funds or General Accounting Departments, the financial owner of the Fund may send a completed Speedchart Request Form (PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. Whom should I contact for questions regarding recharges on my accounts?
- Mail Service recharges: Harry Manuel (514-1626)
- Telecommunications recharges: Grace Wong (502-7924)
- Management recharges (demurrage, storage): John Chow (502-3079)
Q. What should I submit to the funding agency when a federal project ends?
A. Federal Financial Status Report (FFR), a Final Invention Statement (HHS 568), and a Final Progress Report must be submitted within 90 days of the expiration of the grant. However, if a competitive renewal is funded, the Final Invention Statement and the Final Progress Report would not be required at this time.
Q. How do I review a FFR for accuracy and completeness?
A. Before Accounting submits a FFR to you to review with your PI, refer to the following checklist to ensure an accurate FFR is approved and submitted.
- Verify grant fund year end date
- Vacation liability transfer
- Payroll adjustments
- Outstanding invoices
- Unbilled/unpaid subcontracts
- Status of encumbrances
- Outstanding credits or refunds from vendor
- Review of overhead rate, calculation and rebudgeting
- Review prior year ledgers, if applicable
- Other pending adjustments/corrections
- Check for compliance with any restrictions on the Notice of Grant Award
- Identify program income
- Review for cost-sharing commitment
- Make sure that the grant is in its last year of approved project period. If continuation is expected or an extension of the current year is appropriate, please advise EMF to update the Accounts Fund Profile.
Q. How do I submit a no-cost extension request?
A. The request for a no-cost extension under an NIH FDP award must be made no more than 90 days before the end of a project, and must be received at C&G by five working days prior to the end of the project. Notify the Research Services Coordinator (RSC) assigned to your PI that a NCE is requested for. The RSC will prepare and coordinate the routing/submission of the paperwork to C&G or the agency. After receipt and review of the above information, the request will be approved by an authorized official at C&G and entered into the NIH Commons. Copies of the NIH Commons approval which is automatically generated by email within the Commons system will be distributed to the PI, Department C&G Rep, and Accounting upon receipt at C&G.
Q. How do I submit a fund for STOP Code application?
- Run Weblinks Fund Summary by NCA group. Fund must be zero balance at the NCA group level.
- Review Revenue/Unexpended Balance.
- Review against the Stop Code Criteria Checklist.
- Forward DPA/Fund/Fund Year for STOP CODE application to Joseph Wilson by the 10th of any month.
Q. For active K awards that had excluded the rent from the IDC calculation @ proposal submission, should we be making a manual adjustment to our BSRs to include the rent as part of the IDC? This has not been changed in Weblinks thus far.
A. You have two options. You can either exclude it using the negotiated Instruction rate (38.0% on-campus or 26.0% off-campus) applied to the Modified Total Direct Cost Base or 8% of Total Direct Costs less tuition and related fees, health insurance, equipment and contracts in excess of $25,000 (whichever results in the lowest amount of F&A costs), which includes rent.