In the fall of 2009, under the guidance of a planning committee and nearly 100 faculty, staff and trainees, the UCSF Department of Medicine completed the development of its first Strategic Plan.
The goal of the Strategic Plan is to ensure that the structures, leadership and resources of the Department all work together to support our faculty and staff innovators. We foster a working environment that promotes the interest of our outstanding faculty and staff, and continues to attract the best in the field.
- Clinical Activities: Organize clinical activities to improve quality, safety, efficiency and patient and provider experiences.
- Research: Develop a plan for the research enterprise, including space and infrastructure, at all sites (SFGH, SFVAMC, Parnassus/Mount Zion and Mission Bay) to satisfy current and future needs.
- Education: Create the best academic model of student, residency and fellowship training in internal medicine, supported with appropriate resources, including funds, space and infrastructure.
- Public Policy: Develop a plan for advancing public policy thereby re-committing ourselves to playing a guiding role in the public sphere.
- Recruitment and Retention: Develop a sustainable and comprehensive program to recruit and retain the best and the brightest faculty and staff.
- Economic Model: Create a sound and transparent economic model for the Department of Medicine to ensure the sustainability of the programs essential to its mission, congruent with its values and culture.
- Unified Department of Medicine: Create a unified Department of Medicine; develop mechanisms and infrastructure to improve communication and collaboration across sites, disciplines, programs.
To read the original 2009 plan, please see our Strategic Plan (PDF).