SOM Encryption Project - Requesting a Waiver
The Department of Medicine has developed a procedure for those wanting to exempt their laptops from mandatory encryption.
- Add the laptop to your division's inventory, completing all required fields. Include a note indicating that you are requesting an exemption from the encryption policy. A laptop inventory template can be found here (XLS).
- Erik Wieland, DOM IT Director, will arrange a time for him to come by and talk to you and look at the laptops. Erik can be reached by email at email@example.com or by phone at 415-502-7822.
- If Erik approves your request please read and complete the Waiver Request form (PDF). The form should be completed by the appropriate responsible party. For example, in a lab the form should be completed by the PI.
- Submit the form to your division chief for her/his signature.
- Send the form to Erik Wieland at firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 415-276-4763, or campus mail Box 1211. Erik will attach his recommendation and give it to the Department Chair for his signature.
- If the Chair approves we will submit the form to the SOM Information Security Officer (ISO) for approval.
- When the SOM ISO sends us the form back signed or rejected we will notify you of his decision and send you a copy for your files. We will also keep a copy on file.